Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232194 12/16/2009 10:22 AM
All,

I need help. I have to pick the brains around here. Here is my situation.

I was hosted with Linksky. They are a decent company, but when they did a server upgrade, it seems like I went back to the stone ages. Dealing with them is the constant battle of "That is a horrible software" speaking of ubbthreads. "You should use something more compatible with our servers." Well, after being down 4 times this year for random crap, I bit the bullet and moved everything to Godaddy.com. While this isn't the best choice, it is the one we made.

I have both the domain and site hosted with them, and we are now live. I am ready to try and redo the damage here.

1. My database is not coming over properly. After rebuilding it at godaddy, I am getting the following error:

ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '‹
 úDê£E2…"Á¡HSS úD:”³g7ª?ùèï•Ã:ž†ˆUìHÔû`G¶ÀŽ4üö%ÀŽ$°#v¤;ýÉðïGö,÷' at line 1

I realize that the server versions are probably different, but I thought as long as they both were running MYSQL 5.0, we should be good. What can I do to correct this issue? I did a search through here, and I couldn't find anything that might help.

2. With the problem above, I have not gotten to begin an install of UBB on the new site. I am confident in the installation, but would it be better to go with an older version and then upgrade to 7.5.4.2 or just to put on 7.5.3, which is what was on the site and what the database was, and then upgrade?

I am sure I will have more questions along the way, but these two seem to be the most pressing right now. Thanks in advance.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
That error message looks like the database file that you're tring to bring over is still compressed, maybe zipped, or gz'd. I'd check that first and see if it needs to be uncompressed first. The file should just be a standard text file that you could read normally.

Once you an get that sorted out then it should just be a matter of moving over the files and editing the includes/config.inc.php to match the new server settings.

I can see, and undertsnad, the text portion when I am trying to import this onto the new database. On my local computer, I can view the text file of the backup, but it is undecipherable. Is there anything I can do to uncompress this on a XP box?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It really depends on what format it's in. Did the host give you the backup, or did you get it through something like phpmyadmin. Does the file have any type of extension on it?

I pulled this down from phpmyadmin, or a bastardized version of it from my former hosting.

The file's name is OPHA.sql.gz (I assume that this is the compressed version) When I upload this to the new host, the .gz extension is removed. If I try to restore the database through the new hosting company, I receive the error message from above.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, so it's definitely compressed and it sounds like the new server is trying to decompress it but might not be doing it properly. If you do decompress it locally then it might end up being too large to actually upload it.

Does your new hosting come with SSH access or is it FTP only. If it's FTP only what you might do is get in touch with them and tell them you have a compressed sql dump that you're having some issues getting moved to their server and see if they can assist. Many hosts will have you ftp it to the server and they'll import it for you.

If your hosting happens to have SSH access as well, then we could give some assistance on importing it through SSH.

Is there anyway to decompress it locally and remove part of it? I know there is stuff in there that is not part of UBBThreads, as I had a chatroom program that ran in part of this too. THANKS old host, at least now, we can build this back the way it needs to be built.

I can import plain text, I think through the import feature of the myphpadmin.

So, I guess, I will try to decompress the file into a text file, and weed out the crap about states, robots, and personal questions that seem to be present from the chat room crap.

Any suggestions on a free decompressing software?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You can use 7zip.

I don't know much about godaddy.
But if your host control panel is cpanel.
It usually has a option for backups. In the menu is a restore option also. That will create a Mysql database from a gzip file.
This option is not in phpmyadmin but a separate option for making backups of the whole site.
It works quite well in cpanel at least.
I think you are looking for trouble to try and delete some of the data.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
After removing about 2500 pages from a flashchat program that we no longer use, I have a somewhat downscaled size of file, about 33 megs.

Now, I am going to try and import this using a txt importer.

I just found out that this host does support SSH, so that might be an option in the very near future if this doesn't work.

Originally Posted by Rick
Once you an get that sorted out then it should just be a matter of moving over the files and editing the includes/config.inc.php to match the new server settings.

Okay...I have 38 seperate categories (Tables I believe they are called) within the database now.

Rick, do I need to do an upgrade? What steps do I need to do to complete this move and get our forums back online?

I have am going to try and bring over the previous version of the includes/config.inc.php file and then fix it with the appropriate new server info.

I hope that this works. If it doesn't, any other ideas?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
That should do it. The main thing you'll want to edit is the database info, and then any path information, like the FULL_PATH, SESSION_PATH and possibly directories listed for the avatar/attachment storage directories.

Once you get those updated you should be able to login and go to the control panel, and then you'll want to clear the cache to make sure everything updates properly.

Got it done. Now all I am getting is the following message:

UBB Message We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Script: /home/content/70/5375670/html/forums/libs/user.inc.php
Line#: 467
SQL Error: Table 'ophaweb1.ubbt_USERS' doesn't exist
SQL Error #: 1146
Query: SELECT t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE, t2.USER_TOPICS_PER_PAGE, t2.USER_POSTS_PER_TOPIC, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, t1.USER_PASSWORD, t1.USER_SESSION_ID, t1.USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL, t1.USER_IS_BANNED,t1.USER_RULES_ACCEPTED, t1.USER_IS_UNDERAGE, t2.USER_TOTAL_PM, t2.USER_STYLE, t2.USER_HIDE_LEFT_COLUMN,t2.USER_HIDE_RIGHT_COLUMN, t2.USER_LANGUAGE, t2.USER_MOOD, t2.USER_RELATIVE_TIME, t2.USER_TIME_OFFSET,t2.USER_SHOW_ALL_GRAEMLINS, t2.USER_AVATAR, t2.USER_TITLE, t2.USER_CUSTOM_TITLE, t2.USER_NAME_COLOR, t2.USER_SHOW_LEFT_MYSTUFF,t2.USER_GROUP_IMAGES,t2.USER_TIME_FORMAT FROM ubbt_USERS as t1, ubbt_USER_PROFILE as t2 WHERE t1.USER_ID = 2 AND t1.USER_ID = t2.USER_ID

Please click back to return to the previous page.

I found Gizmo's article on how to get to the root of the problem. I am working on fixing this issue. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by J. Holly; 12/17/2009 10:31 AM.
Is there anyway to just recreate this table? Would the Database, the forum or my users suffer any ill effects?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, that's an important, that's the primary user table and without it you won't have any users at all. Did you get any error messages when trying to restore the backup?

None. I looked through my database files and the very last table is ubbt_posts

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Definitely missing some key tables then. It sounds like the backup from your current/old host wasn't complete. If you can't get a complete backup using phpmyadmin then you'll probably need to request that they do a full backup for you that you can download.

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps you timed out while importing the POST table as well causing not all your post's to be imported. You may wish to check that too.

Actually I viewed the latest full download and the other database that I imported from. Neither have anything past ubbt_posts.

If you only have 38 tables then you did not create them all.
It should be 65 tables with version 7.5.4.2 might be 64 tables with 7.5.3.
Starting with address_book and ending with watch_lists.

Blue Man Group
Thanks.....I will try and figure out what is going on.

I do have one other question.

If a full install was done, and then this incomplete DBase overwrote the files that were done with the full install, what would happen?

It really doesn't matter to me if the users have to reregister, so long as the previous information remains. All of which it seems I do currently have within the ubbt_post table.

Okay lets start over.
Not knowing what features you enabled or settings you had.
You really should have moved the site not run a new install.
Gizmo has a how to at https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...s_UBB_Threads_7_x_Transf.html#Post178189
Basically move all the forum files to the new site.
Upload your database to the new site.
Edit your config file. The top 7 or so lines to point to the new paths,database and passwords.
The bad database really won't impact the files.
But you just can't install a current version and then upload a older version database.
You need to run the upgrade script not install.
So either upgrade at the old site first and then move.
Or move and after you confirm the new site works then run upgrade not install.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/17/2009 4:18 PM. Reason: added comment

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Without the users table the posts would never show up since the users that they are tied to wouldn't be there, so the posts just wouldn't display at all. Plus I don't think you have the topics table either which again isn't good.

So it's pretty important to get all of the tables in place. You could do a full install, drop all of the tables and then import the full backup when you have it, but it's probably best to just get the full backup, since it's somewhat wasted time to do a full install first.

Ruben, I haven't upgraded or installed any of the UBBthreads software yet. That was a hypothetical question. I have been trying to follow Gizmo's guide to transfer. Sorry, I thought I had made that clear in the very first post I made on this subject.

Thanks for the info Rick. I am trying to recover it from them.

Good just wanted to be sure. Because the upgrade will alter the tables if needed for a newer version. The install will not.
Once you get a good data file it should go fairly easy.
If it were me I would concentrate on the database file first.
Once you can see 64 or 65 tables and there looks like data or rows in most of the tables. then you can edit the config file to point to the new location.
Don't forget the file permissions on the forum files when you move.

Blue Man Group
Okay, I was able to get a different file.

Now, I am able to see the log in page, but I am getting the following.

UBB Message
Access Denied.

Any thoughts?

It might be time to open a support ticket.
But anyway the error probably says more than just "access Denied"??
Could be file permissions are not set correctly or you need to double check config.inc.php for typo errors for your connection to the database.

BTW what is the url to the new site?

Last edited by Ruben; 12/17/2009 5:38 PM.

Blue Man Group
The permissions should be fine. I rechecked them in hopes of taking care of the error. It remains.

I am unsure of the config.inc.php, I think it is right, however,it could be wrong.

Any other thoughts?

Well if the paths and login are incorrect in the config file the forum will never work.
What is the full error you get when you visit the new site forum.

Blue Man Group
Access Denied.

That is the only error I can find. I have not changed the file back to not show the full errors.

I believe that I might have a bad Session Path.

Can someone give me an idea of what the session path should look like if the full path is:

/home/content/70/5375670/html/forums

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
session path should be:

/home/content/70/5375670/html/forums/sessions

thanks, but it isn't session path....still getting access denied.

Trouble ticket time?

Open a support ticket
Not trying to give you a hard time but...
There are to many variables that could be wrong to second guess what the culprit is. Unless someone can access the site that is all we can do is guess.
It could be anything at this point.
Wrong file permissions. Incorrect database name,Incorrect database user and password. Yada Yada.
Rick could probably fix it before you post again with your problem.

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Probably the easiest thing at this point would be to open up a support ticket as Rueben suggested. Provide the FTP info so I can just take a look at things directly to make sure everything is set properly.

Coming at you.

Request Sent

And the answer is...?

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 791 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29