Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I've poked around and couldn't find anything regarding this topic recently. I run a marching percussion community, and the Spring time is a down time for the activity. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about some good off-topic discussion topics that can help to keep things active until the seasons start up again. Keep in mind the majority of my users are high school males followed by college males and a smathering of adult instructors/veterans. There are a growing number of females, however.

Addict
Addict
Any mention of "Obama" usually fires my membership up, but that probably won't work for you. It's hard to think back to being in that age group.

Photography threads ALWAYS draw a lot of attention on my site. There are a lot of people out there that like to take pictures, and they can be of anything.

Cars and pictures of cars should stimulate some interest.

What about gaming? Are there any gamers that could get something going? Computer hardware would sort of fall under that category, too.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Addict
Addict
OK, I just looked at your site, and you already have a lot of galleries, including an off topic one, so you have some photographic interest. Build on it.

I think it is more interesting to start a photo thread in a regular forum, and then people can respond to a photo with another photo. Start one that says, "show us your...(dog, cat, house, whatever)" and see what happens.

We have also had several "Photo Challenge" threads, where someone will start out by asking for a photo of something, maybe a sign with a misspelled word, for example. The first person to come up with one issues the next challenge, etc.

You could also start a thread about what cameras or editing software people use.

Steve

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thanks for the ideas Steve! I'll brainstorm around them and see what I can come up with. smile

You can get back to choir practice now. wink

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I liked your challenge idea and have attempted to start one: http://www.drumlines.org/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/199912.html

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
forum pictures with consecutive numbers..

peeps post a picture (or image) of a number.. the reply has to be a picture with the next consecutive number and so on..

and if your forum is primarily high school / college MALES, there are obvious things that would get their attention! laugh

Addict
Addict
Excellent idea, SD - the number thing is a good one.

On the other hand, on my site, the second idea always seems to lead to TOS violations!

Steve

Addict
Addict
DL, I just looked at your link, and that isn't really what I had in mind.

Keep the off-topic section mostly off-topic. The photographs should be geared toward everyday stuff that applies to everyone, and outside the percussion realm. I would also suggest that the people should use their own photos, and not "Google Images" search results. Your membership must have some creative talents!

Steve

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by SteveS
On the other hand, on my site, the second idea always seems to lead to TOS violations!

hehe.. yep laugh

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Originally Posted by SteveS
DL, I just looked at your link, and that isn't really what I had in mind.

Keep the off-topic section mostly off-topic. The photographs should be geared toward everyday stuff that applies to everyone, and outside the percussion realm. I would also suggest that the people should use their own photos, and not "Google Images" search results. Your membership must have some creative talents!
Edited

Addict
Addict
Much better! It will be interesting to see how your membership reacts.

Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29