Print Thread
Hop To
#240011 10/18/2010 10:41 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Hello everyone,

I am a new member of this forum, and a site administrator for a UBB board. I am not yet all that familiar with UBB, and I was not the individual who set up the board, but she is not available right now to deal with the problem.

Here is the problem. Our users, myself included, are getting 404 Page Not Found errors when clicking through the site. This usually happens after clicking through several pages. The quick fix to this is to close the tab of the web browser (or the web browser itself), open it up again, and log back in.

We are running version 7.5.5. We are a fairly new board, been in business about a month and a half. We only have 11,722 posts on the board at this time, which I believe is not a particularly large number that should be presenting any problems.

I am tempted to try the Clear Cache option, but I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback from some experts first.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, do you have access to the server error logs? Would be nice to get the actual error it's logging when the 404 comes up.

Also, does the 404 come up when you're clicking on something specific, like a post or page, or can it happen anywhere?

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
I don't have access to the server logs, just the admin, SQL and referrer logs. Our developer, however, would have access to that.

404 seems to happen after you've been on the site and clicked through about 7 or 8 posts. Doesn't seem to depend on clicking on any specific post or page.

I haven't seen the error for about 20 minutes now, though...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
URL to your forum would be helpful wink

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline

Veteran
Veteran
1) Is this happening to several people or just you as far as you know?

2) What web browser are you and the others using?

3) Does this usually happen at a certain time of the day?

4) When this happens do you / others have any problems going to other sites on the internet?

The answers to these questions would help diagnose your problem much better to determine if it is a server issue or connection issue on your personal end or the server side.

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Hi, thanks for the responses.

This problem was reported by dozens of our users across multiple states.

Our site developer ultimately determined that it is an issue with our host - she has an unresolved ticket open with the host, but it turns out other hosted sites complained about the same problem yesterday - and she also had the same problem when trying to connect to the host's website.

So, looks like it isn't a UBB issue after all...

Thanks again, and this looks like a great resource, I will be coming by more often as I get more involved in running our forum.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 681 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29