Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
I spoke with Sandy W about my problem and he advised me to write to you directly.

re: Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board Version 5.47e http://www.care-givers.com/cgi...ate.cgi?action=intro

This past year, I have been inundated with new memberships manually input from spammers around the world. I sometimes get as many as 60 a day. The website doesn't make any money so the budget is limited.

I was hoping that a "Captcha" system could be installed but I am not sure if it is possible... please advise.

In the meantime I have been copying and pasting IP addresses and emails... the databases for both are well over 6MB each... I have a volunteer who works with me and she posts daily at the message boards.. evidently her IP address got listed in the banlist... since there are over 640,000 addresses I did a find for her IP 131.191.17.71 I removed about six ips that began with 131.191.17 and uploaded to the ftp under ban lists. Then I updated the forums and indexed. She is still unable to sign on because they say her IP is banned.. please advise...

Are there any boards that I can upgrade to without losing data at this time if there is no remedy to my situation?

Sandy suggested I try to hold off with a purchase because he felt that Hoop would be something of value to the site... could my UBB boards be updated to this.

Your help is greatly appreciated... Thank you
gail

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There isn't a captcha system in UBB.Classic v5; you'd really need to upgrade your system to help thwart spammers.

EMail validation and a captcha are both in latest versions of the UBB (that'd be UBB.Threads7).

The reason Infopop/Groupee directed you here is because Rick (the UBB.Threads lead developer and UBB.Threads original developer) now owns the UBB.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I am not sure with classic 5 but the only other thing to do with it is to moderate registrations and elect unique email addresses. But those options may have been in classic 6.

As far as still banned I don't recall what to do.
You might take a peek at the persons member file. and compare it to another member that works.
It would be in the members folder and the prefix is the member number.

So you can upgrade to the current ubb threads but I believe it will take two steps.

I don't know anything about hoop. In fact I don't even know what it is.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (ahmed047, Nightcrawler), 615 guests, and 132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29