Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Hi All,

The visual appearance of our forums is all jacked up.
I discovered the settings in the:
MASTER SETTINGS>FEATURE SETTINGS and
DISPLAY OPTIONS>PRIMARY

are all GONE
I have tried severaltims to resent them, but after applying the changes each time, the page reloads and the settings are not retained.

Having done some searching in the forums already, I'm guessing the "config.inc.php" file has been lost and or corrupted.

Do you think this file is at the root of the problem?
What should the path be to the file?
If it is hosed, and we do not have a backup, what are our options or resources to rebuild the file?

Thanks in advance.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
an update

I have been able to locate the file and my hunch is confirmed except that some of the settings that got lost are also contained in the "theme.inc.php" file.

I have been able to make a few guesses at setting values and have deployed the test config file and the settings are shown in the CP.

I am a tad uncertain however about some of the other setting option values.

Is there a resource for a template of this file or a thread showing the setting option values for the file?

I never used v6 threads.
But if you have a config.inc.php file that holds most of your settings.
In the current versions if you edit the file and at least add in the paths and passwords it will usually let you get to the control panel. Then just go through each option in the control panel and select submit even if it looks correct.
there are a couple of config files posted here but I am not sure how compatible they are with your version since they are for the 7x series.
You also could try ubbdev.com and search for config.inc.php

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, I'll need to see if I can dredge up a stock theme.inc.phpfile for the v6 series.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
This?

Code
<?
/*
# UBB.threads, Version 6
# Official Release Date for UBB.threads Version6: 06/05/2002

# First version of UBB.threads created July 30, 1996 (by Rick Baker).
# This entire program is copyright Infopop Corporation, 2002.
# For more info on the UBB.threads and other Infopop
# Products/Services, visit: http://www.infopop.com

# Program Author: Rick Baker.
# File Version 6.5.5

# You may not distribute this program in any manner, modified or otherwise,
# without the express, written written consent from Infopop Corporation.

# Note: if you modify ANY code within UBB.threads, we at Infopop Corporation
# cannot offer you support-- thus modify at your own peril :)
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*/
$theme['stylesheet'] = "infopop";
$theme['availablestyles'] = "
blackandblue:Black and blue,
desert-classic:desert Classic,
frosted:Frosted,
greenday:Green Day,
infopop:Infopop,
infopop2:Infopop 2,
largeblackandblue:Black and blue (large fonts),
largegreenday:Green Day (large fonts),
largetheblues:the blues (large fonts),
stylesheet:wild,
stylesheet2:desert,
stylesheet3:wild (large fonts),
stylesheet4:desert (large fonts),
theblues:the blues";
$theme['cellpadding'] = "3";
$theme['cellspacing'] = "1";
$theme['admincolor'] = "";
$theme['modcolor'] = "";
$theme['tablewidth'] = "95%";
$theme['postlist'] = "flat";
$theme['threaded'] = "collapsed";
$theme['sort'] = "5";
$theme['postsperpage'] = "10";
$theme['flatposts'] = "10";
$theme['PictureView'] = "1";
$theme['PictureWidth'] = "80";
$theme['PictureHeight'] = "80";
$theme['PicturePosts'] = "1";
$theme['TextCols'] = "60";
$theme['TextRows'] = "5";
$theme['timeformat'] = "short1";
?>

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
You guys need to get a life outside of ubb.
LOL.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
You guys need to get a life outside of ubb.
LOL.
I'm like never here in time to answer stuff lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
GREAT STUFF AND THANKS FOR IT!!!!

However, I beleive I have uncovered a larger problem which I will definately need help to figure out.

BTW, I have had no trouble getting to the control panel.
That is no worry.

Last night, after I deployed the test config file, and confirmed the manually configured options were retained and shown in the CP, I went to bed feeling pretty good.

So I just got off work and logged in and still the settings are retained.

HOORAY!! grin

well, not so much.

It is still bothering my how all the settings got wiped out when all I did was apply a very trivial change to the header "includes".

SOOOOO, as a test, WITHOUT HAVING MADE ANY CHANGES I just clicked the "Update General Display Settings" button...

POOF

All the settings I made manually are again gone...

So apparently, ANY CLICK of those buttons, even if no changes have been made, wipes out all of the settings.
mad
Sure, now knowing I can manually re-edit the config file and the themes file, I can get us back up to normal, but, does anybody have any ideas why the settings get blanked out if I actually use the CP Buttons?

I'm really out of gas on that question and could use some suggestions please... confused

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, if v6 is anything like v7, the config file houses data from the database, and once a setting is changed (or page submitted) the config file is recreated.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
well, that is what I would think!!!

except I can't find a table with all these values and fields.

I suppose that is where the problem lies...

Except it's kind of frustrating that the CP delivers the message "settings successfully updated"...

Any ideas where I can get a copy of that table? for v6.5

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
here is list of all the tables shown in the DATABASE TOOLS>INFORMATION view of the CP

w3t_AddressBook
w3t_AdminSearches
w3t_Announcements
w3t_Banned
w3t_BannedEmails
w3t_Boards
w3t_Cache
w3t_Calendar
w3t_Category
w3t_CensorList
w3t_ContentIslands
w3t_DisplayNames
w3t_Favorites
w3t_Graemlins
w3t_Groups
w3t_Languages
w3t_Last
w3t_Mailer
w3t_MemberSearches
w3t_Messages
w3t_ModNotify
w3t_Moderators
w3t_Online
w3t_Permissions
w3t_PollMain
w3t_PollOptions
w3t_PollQuestions
w3t_PollVotes
w3t_Posts
w3t_Queries
w3t_Ratings
w3t_Registration
w3t_ReservedNames
w3t_SearchResults
w3t_Subscribe
w3t_UserNotes
w3t_UserTitles
w3t_Users
w3t_Version

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Thanks for everything so far!

I have not been able to locate a full config.inc.php file.
If anybody has one for v6.5 and can post it, I'd really appreciate it.

I set about the task of mapping the various config contents to their respective locations in the control panel and have most of them located but if anybody knows of a completed map and could direct me to it, that too would be very appreciated.

I've been able to conclude, as I expected would be the case, that in fact these settings from the config.inc.php and theme.inc.php files are supposed to be housed in a table.

However, the table(s) appear to be gone or corrupted or, if they are supposed to be in one of the above tables, I am not finding the records.
Any steerage on this topic would also be appreciated. If the table(s) are corrupted, perhaps I could repair them if I knew the name(s). Clearly this would be the most preferred option as that would forgo any need to manually map all these fields and manually edit the config and theme files.

On a side note, we're considering upgrading to the newer version, but I have some reservations about problems which may be encountered if we attempt the migration before we have everything in the database fully proper (e.g. missing tables and or records restored/rebuilt/repaired).

Last edited by bilbo; 11/19/2010 8:41 AM.
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Just a side thought;
is it possible these control panel settings are actually housed in the various related tables with specific IDs and not necessarily in their own table(s).

For example, user specific control panel settings housed in a specific user record in the users table, etc.

I notice there is one user record with the U_Username **DONOTDELETE** and U_Number of 1

I do not see any of the settings I would expect to see, nor do I see any similar records i nthe U_Boards table where presumably other board specific settings would need to live if this theory were accurate.

Just grasping at straws here, trying to figure out how we could lose an entire table, or if we actually did lose an entire table.

we have a two year old back up and the tables listed in it are also contained in the current db...

(i know, two years is waaaay too long to go without a back up, but seriously, that was not supposed to be my area of responsiblilty and I always just assumed it was being done by the person whose job it was).

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The basic settings are all stored in the config.inc.php file. User specific settings would be stored in the w3t_Users table for that specific version and that's really about it.

If your config file keeps getting wiped out upon submission then it could be that the variables just aren't being submitted. This could be something like an misconfigured suhosin or something of that nature. If it's telling you that the settings were updated, it's trying to write out the updated config file, but the variables just aren't getting there.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Hi Rick,

Well, I guess that answers my questions...

But,

suhosin = ???

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
suhosin
Suhosin is an advanced protection system for PHP installations. It was designed to protect servers and users from known and unknown flaws in PHP applications and the PHP core. Suhosin comes in two independent parts, that can be used separately or in combination. The first part is a small patch against the PHP core, that implements a few low-level protections against bufferoverflows or format string vulnerabilities and the second part is a powerful PHP extension that implements all the other protections.

Unlike the PHP Hardening-Patch Suhosin is binary compatible to normal PHP installation, which means it is compatible to 3rd party binary extension like ZendOptimizer.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
roflmao

Thanks terribly much but, I'm afraid that is greek to me

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"security" lol

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
An update:

I was able to manually rebuild both the config.inc.php and theme.inc.php files

It took lots of trial and error and I had to open some of the main PHP files in visual studio in order to identify some of the variables, but I was ultimately successful (took many hours).

needless to say, I have pulled backups of the *.inc.php files...
Thanks for all the help toward this painful task.

I discovered that any "update" click in the control panel wipes out the settings associated with that particular page (not all the settings in the entire file).

This is particularly problematic when the page happens to contain settings that live in both the inc.php files.

In a potentially related item, I noticed something else.

We have problems with spammers (not news)
I have been active in banning offending user IDs (as opposed to simply deleting them).
I don't delete them because the user ID records contain useful information when it comes to blocking IPs and IP ranges.

Typically, I will gather certain information about the user, place it in the notes field, uncheck the access radio button and clicj update.
What happens next is the page reloads with a SQL error.
And I have found that after I do this, I cannot access that user's record through the control panel.

While researching what the cause could be, I noticed the U_Groups, field was blank whereas the other users were assigned to "-3-".
So, I wrote a query to update that field and now, after I ban users, I run that query and I have managed to work around the problem.
Still though, I'm not sure if this problem is related to the problem with the *.inc.php files because the SQL error in this problem seems to indicate the query is expecting to find members of the "users" group and I am not certain if when I ban a member if that is supposed to blank that field (since there actually is a specific "U_Banned" field in the table).
If there is a connection, it would seem to be in if that U_Groups field is supposed to be updated or not and if not, why is it getting blanked.
I've not looked deeply a the "showuser.php" to see what is supposed to happen.

So, any different insights as to what might be causing the problem with the *.inc.php files?

If it is the "suhosin" problem, where does one look or what does one do in order to check and or repair this?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29