Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#240648 12/12/2010 10:44 PM
R
R Offline
I think I have it figured out, but want to post this to see if anyone has any input.

We upgraded our site, adding many new new forums and a couple of boards.

All of our moderators are global. Some were moderators before they became global, some were not, just directly appointed as global.

We are having trouble assigning those who were never straight moderators to specific forums. No problem with Admins.

All Global Moderators also appear in the moderator list.

I think there might be something in the hierarchy that is used by UBB that prevents a Global from being assigned to a specific forum unless they were a moderator when the forum was created.

I dunno how to solve that one. Perhaps going back to moving them all down to moderator first might help. I am going to do more testing to see if anything else jumps at me.

Ouch, played with it some more. Only admins can be assigned to the new forums. Something is wrong somewhere. All the permissions look right. I must be overlooking something.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by razor_head; 12/12/2010 10:59 PM.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
a Global moderator is by definition a mod in all forums, so there is no way to put them into _one_ forum

that's the way it's designed

R
R Offline
Thanks Sirdude, what I finally figured out.

I get the picture. I also get that notify buttons go to whoever is assigned a forum. I wish I could figure out how to make it universal but that would also cause problems figuring out who was going to respond. Emails sux as a notify method.

It is convenient to have global moderators who also have specific forums assigned to them. We are very much a hot button type of board with a lot of very emotional deals going on.

The notify button gets used and misused on a daily basis, or more, especially when some snarky type shows up and starts throwing bombs. *sigh*

Oh, as an added thought, Admins can be assigned forums, just not Global mods.

What I am going to try to do, and think will work, is demote the mods one at a time, assign them forums one at a time, then promote them again. We shall see.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Last edited by razor_head; 12/12/2010 11:57 PM. Reason: add a thought
addict
addict
Another avenue would be to not make them global admin, just give them mod and place 1 in permissions (or copy global admin permissions) for mods.. if you want the mods to have the same general power as global mod, and still assign specific forums to them.

Dunny

R
R Offline
Well, kept fiddling with it. Found a way.

Group Management
Click on Member Count gave me the list (could have typed them in one by one elsewhere)

Selected a Global.

Under permissions, picked goes where, what forums. Used ctrl to allow for more than one pick/session.

Update

Done, go to the next mod.

Not nearly as easy or convenient as the moderator assignment page, but it works for globals, mods, admins, etc.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Last edited by razor_head; 12/13/2010 10:28 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 692 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29