Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
R
member
member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
We are a marriage advocacy forum. As such, we have a ton of married people online with us. This means that we have a ton of people with the same IP address.

Yes, we want to know when two different people log in with the same IP address especially when they do it at different times through manipulation of their cookies.

Yes, we want to know so we can investigate.

No, we don't want to know each time they do it if there were a way to turn off the notification selectively.

Yesterday I got probably 20 private messages about multiple logins from the same IP address. Drives me nuts some days. They were all for people we had already vetted.

Oh and on our security setup, we found a moderator from another forum busy on our site causing problems. It took a while to figure it out because of the cumbersome way it has to be done. Just saying.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Don't know if you saw my earlier earlier thread?

(My users are coming from different IPs though)

I would certainly agree with this suggestion...
Quote
if there were a way to turn off the notification selectively.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
R
member
member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

No, I didn't see it. Now that is a strange circumstance. I dunno if you run to much controversy or not. We do. Thus we have to have a well trained and responsive moderator corp with as many tools as we can give them. The shout box has been a god send for us.

Yet there is more, much more I would like to deliver to them if and when Rick and his crew decide to provide the tools. Past that, I have posted about the cheesy emoticon that is meant to announce my mood. If one can change it, surely there isn't much code needed to remove it individually.

My slant on suggestions is easy; if it helps run a forum more easily or provide better support for adverts, here you go. If it doesn't look like much code writing for something else, here you go. I am trying to avoid suggestions that mean lots of code writing for trivial issues.

After using vBulletin for a couple of forums where I was posting, I am convinced that the base code for UBB is in a higher class and certainly the look and feel is far superior.

vB looks as if it were written by script kiddies who were having a bad committee night.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Initially it was created as an online status indicator; then to "conserve" space it was merged with the "mood" system...

You also might include at vB was created as a PHP port of UBB.Classic.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
R
member
member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

The existing versions of vB are gaudy, with content taking second place to overbearing display. Perhaps that is the choice of those who buy.

Which leads me to the question of what drives the purchase of forum software?

It would seem to me to be;

Feature Set
Stability
Look and Feel
Price

And that leads me to wondering who is going to design a new paradigm for forums. There has to be one floating around in the mind of someone, somewhere. There always is.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com




Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
I would put stability at the top of the list, with "ease of use" right below. I don't want it if it won't work and I don't have time to teach and re-teach someone how to register and make a post. It should be very obvious how to do both.


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
I totally agree with Allen.
Nobody is going to buy forum software that isn't 100% reliable.

I also agree with 'ease of use' - which I believe we have; yet I am still surprised at how many requests I get to make a post for a user because they can't figure out how to do it.

(Granted, these requests generally come from a part of the world that is probably still catching up technology-wise.)

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
R
member
member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 103

Yea, I have to agree with stability. I posted a long winded piece on that subject in another forum here. I never thought of usability and ease of use. So yes on that one as well.

Good shots gentlemen.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
This just in...
Quote
Kindly help me as i have forgot how to start a new post... and which is correct place to post it..


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)