Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#243666 06/06/2011 10:56 PM
old hand
old hand
UBBSystems, please make yourself known... a lot of us have a significant investment of time and $$$ into this...

Time to share a vision statement... please..

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Stan #243671 06/07/2011 6:45 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
For now they are masters at saying nothing wink

Stan #243674 06/07/2011 11:46 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
[Linked Image from firstgenmc.com]

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Stan #243675 06/07/2011 11:49 AM
Sysop
Sysop
There is a lot to review, we are working on a plan and hope to announce something next week...

thanks!

Stan #243676 06/07/2011 1:23 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I would just appreciate a little more information on who UBBSystems/Brooks is?
is there some company affiliated with this that we may have heard of?
is it 1, 2, 3 poeple? a dozen?

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Stan #243681 06/07/2011 5:34 PM
veteran
veteran
My theory: UBBSystems = Brooks = 1 person.

Registering as UBBSystems pins that username to 1 person and it would be unusual to share a username and login with others involved.

Registering as Brooks, however, would give the impression that it was 1 person who was part of a larger organization and others were to follow.

For an owner to register as a company name can be construed as segregated and a little antagonistic. "I'm the boss and this is how it's going to be" kind of thing. Registering as Brooks (or Rick for example) gives members a much more reassuring, friendly and humane presence to the community.

I'm interested to find out what UBBSystems actually is. This is UBBCentral, a single entity. UBBSystems is plural.

I will crawl back into my hole now and watch some more.

Stan #243682 06/07/2011 6:22 PM
veteran
veteran
Theory 2: It's not really happening and it's all just a clever diversion to stop people moaning on and on about V8.

....and so far it's working nicely.

smirk

Stan #243684 06/07/2011 6:40 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Possibly the worst website I've seen in years, but perhaps this is the new owner?

http://ubbsystem.com/

wink

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Stan #243685 06/07/2011 6:48 PM
addict
addict
I have to admit I understand that there is a lot of info to go through as far as making a statement on where ubbthreads is going from here... however, I am not getting the warm, fuzzy that the support will be anything like we are used to from Rick. I am not going to jump ship or anything, but when I do come due to renew (which is relatively soon) I may have to wait for a bit and see if I am just going to stick with the downloads I have now and make sure I have an up to date version so that I can move forward.

Dunny

Stan #243686 06/07/2011 6:58 PM
Addict
Addict
My biggest fear is that people like Giz, S-D, Ruben, and others that we depend on will get pissed off and stop helping the rest of us.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #243687 06/07/2011 7:16 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SteveS
My biggest fear is that people like Giz, S-D, Ruben, and others that we depend on will get pissed off and stop helping the rest of us.
I can't speak for them, but I can say that I'm just as impatient on all of this that you all are... I'm trying to remain the same old "I support the UBB and could care less of who owns it" stance, but really, every grype you have is one that I have as well.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Stan #243688 06/07/2011 8:39 PM
old hand
old hand
We need to let him step up to the plate. Give him a break, if he is investing in this he will want a decent return on his investment.

Stan #243690 06/08/2011 6:14 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stan
We need to let him step up to the plate. Give him a break, if he is investing in this he will want a decent return on his investment.

Stan, first I quasi agree with you. However, what makes UBB different from any of the other forums out there (and as much as I love UBB and hate to say it) that are just as powerful inexpensive and easy to use. What makes UBB different to date is the level of community support, and the personal attachment that Rick brought to the table. He has a personal interest not only in his product, but also with the community he helped to build with it. This level of attention to the customer has developed a trust that so far has not even been acknowledged by the new ownership. Money isn't everything and can be spent elsewhere. So while I understand not having a fully developed plan, I also don't understand why there isn't any effort put forth to become part of the community and build up from there as the information itself for the project gets sorted. I don't think that I am alone in this assumption. Alienating a full community that has helped each other, (and in retrospect) anyone that has had a question over the years, and continues to provide support to each other and for UBB is not exactly a winning (or money making) ideal that represents UBB well. IMO.

Just my two cents, but I am also looking at alternatives. Something I never thought I would really want or have to do. However, (and I am speaking for me) I have been using UBB threads since about 2000-2001 somewhere around there, and if we can't get the level of service and family feel that UBB represented in the past, then there are more economical, and just as nice, and easy to use forum software out there.

Dunny

Gizmo #243692 06/08/2011 12:52 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I can't speak for them, but I can say that I'm just as impatient on all of this that you all are... I'm trying to remain the same old "I support the UBB and could care less of who owns it" stance, but really, every grype you have is one that I have as well.
If it were my site / company that was changing hands the Moderators would have been the first to be notified, well in advance of any public announcement.

I'm not doubting your word G. It just seems a little strange how this whole situation is being handled?

ScriptKeeper #243693 06/08/2011 1:39 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Dunny
if we can't get the level of service and family feel that UBB represented in the past, then there are more economical, and just as nice, and easy to use forum software out there.
Hey, I helped turn this place from a scarcely posted support forum to a community; I even got yelled at for it numerous times lol...

Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
I'm not doubting your word G. It just seems a little strange how this whole situation is being handled?
Well, how I would have handled it would be to have Rick make an announcement followed directly by the new guy stating who he is, who he is in the industry, tell us about his vision and where he sees the product going from here, and maybe some chit chat with the members...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #243694 06/08/2011 2:11 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well, how I would have handled it would be to have Rick make an announcement followed directly by the new guy stating who he is, who he is in the industry, tell us about his vision and where he sees the product going from here, and maybe some chit chat with the members...

You all know I am by far the biggest UBB apologist out there, but I'm leaning toward agreeing with you on this.

David Dreezer #243696 06/08/2011 3:07 PM
I think you guy's need to give Ubbsystems a break for a few days.
It is one thing to purchace a company.
From what appears to be a last minute decision by Rick to sell.
He did state some time next week he will provide some info.

But it does take time to build a business case on what can or can't be done.
You need to evaluate what the costs, overhead and profit margin are before you can decide how much resources you can afford to invest in.

Would everyone prefer that he just starts spewing out what we want to hear then he has to backstep on some of the promises because the revenue is not there?

But I will tend to agree on one point.

It would be nice if at least he/her posted some type of bio on him/her self. So at least we know something.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Gizmo #243697 06/08/2011 3:50 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dunny
if we can't get the level of service and family feel that UBB represented in the past, then there are more economical, and just as nice, and easy to use forum software out there.
Hey, I helped turn this place from a scarcely posted support forum to a community; I even got yelled at for it numerous times lol...

Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper

Yes, exactly what I meant Gizmo...and I know you and several others have their hands in helping build this community, but I was focussing on the ownership level support that we enjoy(ed).

Dunny

Ruben #243699 06/08/2011 4:18 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ruben
From what appears to be a last minute decision by Rick to sell.
He was very lucky to find a buyer in that "last minute" then! crazy

Decisions like this don't come easy. I only closed my forums a few weeks back and that decision took months. This is on a different scale.

There's a lot of combined negativity on here at the moment and it's unusual for so many individuals to react in the same way. I've never seen this before, anywhere!

Stan #243704 06/08/2011 5:08 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I totally agree mate.

This must have been in the pipeline for ages. You don't just sell up a significant portion of your life because you just remembered you were going to a new job.

Check list....

Lights out - check
Door locked - check
Sell UBBThreads - Ooops.....

...and, the fact that the new guy is completely ignoring what's being said is astonishing.

Some business plan!

Who recommends what then? My faith is running has run out.

Stan #243705 06/08/2011 5:12 PM
M
M Offline
Ruben,

I agree fully with the points of your last post. All valid.

I also agree fully with Gizzy's observation that a little planning and coordination of the announcement would have been a good thing.

As in...

This would have shown that the new owner(s?) is/are fully cognizant of the nuances of cultivating a successful online community.

After all, we all here strive to do just that. We would like to believe that the creators of the software we use are fully in tune with what it takes to run a healthy online community.

This particular transition does not exactly exude confidence in this realm. It feels a little rushed without appropriate attention to the human factor of the transition.

This could be due to any number of reasons that might be understandable if all the details were known. ( And no, I am not asking to be privy to such details.)

Rick is a tough act to follow.

All water under the bridge now. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I am keeping an open mind… for a while.

The time draws nigh for someone to give this endeavor serious thought and let us know the grand design. Or at least part of it. grin

driv #243709 06/08/2011 5:48 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by driv
I totally agree mate.

This must have been in the pipeline for ages. You don't just sell up a significant portion of your life because you just remembered you were going to a new job.

I can provide a timeline if necessary, 3 weeks ago the thought of selling UBB wasn't even in my mind. 2 weeks ago after accepting the job and taking a look at where things were from there, that's when after a talk with the wife we decided to sell. I can go into more details if necessary, but this definitely wasn't something I was sitting back in planning all along.

Stan #243710 06/08/2011 5:55 PM
veteran
veteran
You don't need to justify yourself to us mere mortals Rick. I think what is hard to come to terms with is how you got a buyer so quickly.

It's almost as if you'd listed UBBC on a 7 day eBay auction on and someone who'd never even seen a forum before won it. cry

ScriptKeeper #243711 06/08/2011 6:26 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I understand that. I just wanted people to know that I haven't been planning this for months wink

We screened out a few potential buyers because they fit your description perfectly.

Last edited by Rick; 06/08/2011 6:37 PM.
Stan #243714 06/08/2011 6:45 PM
addict
addict
I wish I had known that it was up for sale... however Rick nothing I am saying is directed to you. I just think the new owner, by seeming to ignore the community here is really the reason we are all uneasy about where we stand. I mean we kind of built a psuedo relationship with you (and your wife indirectly) through these boards and the support from you and her was top notch.... the silence already developing from the ownership side, has been disconcerting and indicates that the future holds a silent owner who will finish building v8 get the income and the support will suffer drastically.

Just my fear Rick nothing more. I wish you and your family the best of luck moving forward. So far the only thing that keeps me remaining hopeful is that you are still directly involved, and that SD and Gizmo have not jumped ship yet.

Dunny

Stan #243715 06/08/2011 6:55 PM
M
mig Offline
M Offline
Hi Rick,

I barely know you (mostly because one of my fellow Admins looks after the techie stuff) but you were very quick to help when we needed, kind and generous with your time. The best of luck to you in your new adventure! I hope you'll keep finding time to peek in here, although it will be quite different for you, not being owner.

A lot of anxious voices, as any change of ownership is always difficult, and clearly the new owner has had very little time to ramp up to anything resembling speed yet, given the circumstances... so for now I am going to trust that you have left us in good hands.

Glad that you are going to be here to help with the transition, despite how very busy you will no doubt be.

My best to you and thanks for all you have done!
mig

Stan #243716 06/08/2011 6:59 PM
old hand
old hand
I know Rick has a full time job, and has been looking after this almost full time for years..

How many of us are doing something similar? I can say this, there have been times that if someone would have offered me enough pizza for a week I would have sold my site. I would not have contacted my moderators, and I think I have about 30 now.

Thankful, after I changed over the mindraven hosting most of my problems ceased.

Please lets give new guy until the middle of next week to figure out where he is taking this, at that time we will also decide which way we are taking our forums.

Not all things happen they way we want them to. He needs to have some time to plan out what he is doing, I doubt if he had plans of owning this up until a dozen days ago..

and so it goes............

Stan #243717 06/08/2011 7:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My complaint on this isn't with you, Rick. You sold it. It isn't your responsibility any more.

My complaint is that F.N.G. has been totally unresponsive. Not a peep, not a hello, my name is. Nothing.

I've been involved with buying and selling businesses before. Rule number 1 is always introduce yourself and tell people who you are (and why they should trust you). Even if you have nothing else to say, at least say that. The fact that this person either refuses or is somehow unable, to be able to address the minimum amount that should be said is disheartening to us.

Hopefully he/she didn't buy this without even a clue as to what he intends to do with it. Impulse buying of a business is never a good buy for anyone except maybe the seller. This whole thing smells of an impulse buy by someone that shouldn't have.

I certainly hope that UBB isn't dead as it has been so much apart of my life, but I hear the proverbial fat lady warming up just off stage. All it would take is one half decent post buy the F.N.G. to quiet her, but I don't see it coming, unfortunately.

Stan #243718 06/08/2011 7:16 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Well, I have bitten my tongue for quite awhile now as I tried to get a handle on the state of affairs.

I must say I was a surprised as everyone when the 'New Owner' thread appeared.

I've been privvy to snapshots of version 8 over the last year and must say that from what i saw, it was never going to make it off the ground in a timely manner.

As it currently stands, version 8 needs a _LOT_ of work. it's not even ready for alpha, as far as i can see. i also can see that Brooks might not have really known the FULL extent of what it is that he bought, other than the domains and their obvious SEO value..

yes, a converted version of ubbcentral is running on v8 and i have that code, but it is essentially a reworked admin, which you've all seen screenies of and a front end ( user side of things ) that is far from complete. i'm not saying that it doesn't have some nice new features either, because it does..

but... the list of things to be done is months away from completion and i'm not sure i'd be happy to release it if it was my product.

i'm advocating that instead we ( community + brooks ) find a way to quickly identify a version 7.6 that would include the 20 or so bugs/features that i know to exist in 7.5.6 PLUS maybe a top 10 or 15 most needed features ( within reason )...

no big architectural change, but at least a 7.6 that is more stable with all 5 browsers ( staying logged in for example ) and also has some key features..

this will buy enough time to decide just what version 8 is and _can_ be...

brooks will have to weigh all this, of course and decide on how his manpower / team might work with those who already know the code..

but to be realistic too.. Rick is moving, so he won't be able to spend much time on it, so just don't count on that resource for the next 3 months.

get 7.6 out in 2 months... have a stable product..

while at the same time have a valid plan for version 8 where milestones are clearly delineated and held to. and whenever some timeline is affected either adversely or positively, announce it to the community here.

a constant feedback loop is the only thing that i can see saving a disaster down the road. and this disaster might have already occurred to some degree already..

--- footnote ---

i wrote this in one pass and it's from the heart as i see things. there may be some inaccuracies, but i'll live with what i wrote...

i may add some stuff later in other posts..

Stan #243719 06/08/2011 7:21 PM
old hand
old hand
FWIW

I for one would be happier having more features on version 7 than having a great back end one Version 8.

It is all about building traffic and members.

Having a public welcome message for new members
Having public messages and emails for anniversaries of membership.
Having email posting, ie subscribe to google news using keywords, etc, I know there is something out there for that but it was too complex for me..
etc
etc
etc
etc

Even a small charge for the add ones would be fine. SMF has a zillion of them.

Stan #243720 06/08/2011 7:23 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
exactly

one very small thing that i've already added to my 7.5.6-sd version is the new google +1 button..

that will make a big difference and is such a small feature..

there are many like this that can be added..

Stan #243721 06/08/2011 7:27 PM
Addict
Addict
S-D, I think we all appreciate hearing from a "somewhat" insider such as yourself. Personally, I can live without V8. I just want some confidence that the platform is still going to exist, and that people like you are going to be here to support us. That's what keeps me coming back for more.

I left my previous host a few months ago, and moved to Mindraven because of the connection with UBB. It seemed like a smart move at the time. Now? Not so much.

I hope the new buyer wasn't buying it to eliminate some competition. It is disturbing to me to keep seeing UBBSystems in the "Who's online" - with no response to the comments here.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Stan #243722 06/08/2011 7:31 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
well, i suggest divorcing mindraven from ubbthreads in that sense.

i personally use mindraven too for my dedicated server and must say that is an excellent service, so the two really aren't an all or nothing venture, from what i surmise.

support for ubbthreads is really a much easier job than support for hosting.

i tweak threads installs all the time and install new things.. add new styles all that..

but keeping a hosting company running is a different beast..

so as i see it, support for existing or new installs won't suffer in the least

if anything, it will get better, because there won't be this huge version8 gun to rick's head anymore. and believe me, it was a big one...

2c

SD #243726 06/08/2011 10:01 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
I've been privvy to snapshots of version 8 over the last year and must say that from what i saw, it was never going to make it off the ground in a timely manner.

As it currently stands, version 8 needs a _LOT_ of work. it's not even ready for alpha, as far as i can see.

If I had not already decided to move on, reading that comment would make me really quite angry.
(Not with you Sirdude. You - and Gizmo - have always been so helpful, thank you). smile

Stan #243727 06/08/2011 10:10 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
ubbthreads has just been viewing this topic a few minutes ago, so perhaps they will shout up! wink

Stan #243730 06/08/2011 10:41 PM
addict
addict
Ask and you shall receive.. thanks UBBsystems.. would be nice to have a more personal name/feeling ....but I can deal with one step at a time.

Dunny

David Dreezer #243929 06/15/2011 3:16 PM
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
My complaint is that F.N.G. has been totally unresponsive. Not a peep, not a hello, my name is. Nothing.

I would have to wholly agree with DD on this one.

Rick - sorry to see you sell, but glad you have a new path to blaze.

This is strange... no CC, no Rick....what is the UBB universe coming to?

David Dreezer #243930 06/15/2011 4:41 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Possibly the worst website I've seen in years, but perhaps this is the new owner?

http://ubbsystem.com/

wink

Doubt it that one is too old

Stan #243931 06/15/2011 4:48 PM
old hand
old hand
Brooks

This is just my opinion. Other may want to add to this.

WHen I bought UBB it was the world forum market leader, and the best out there. 1999-2000 era.

The long gap between 6 and 7, with no or slow responses while infopop tired to get people to move over to Eve, really killed the popularity of threads.

Most of the other company added an option of a zillion features, threads did not. Many who felt left behind, left threads behind.

The longer the gap of silence over this transition the more of the remaining clients will leave.

Just sayin' that is all

It is now next week smile

Stan #243954 06/17/2011 11:59 PM
old hand
old hand
hmmm it is now the end of the next week.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29