Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
Since we are at a crossroads of sorts, maybe we should re-open a past topic. Specifically the one about multiple-logins (or cookie sharing) between different applications.

A lot has changed in the online world in the past two years (aka The Facebook/SocialEngineering Era). For UBB to continue to be REALLY "useful", we need it to be "expandable". We NEED to be able to link or integrate it with OTHER applications.

Conclusion: NO ONE WANTS A STAND-ALONE FORUM ANY MORE.

A couple of examples. (and from "my" point of view)

• I need to link to my Forum "from" a secure store/cart application.
  • I need to be able to use my Forum's permissions to go to a members-only document area.
  • I need to consolidate a second login process which is used for new members when they PAY for a membership.
  • I need a secure "members-only" area for photo galleries.

The Joomla extension is a great start (for THAT application) - but shouldn't this kind of "functional connection" be offered as a part of UBB?

If UBB isn't going to be the center in my new world of integrated applications, then it will ultimately become only an "add-on".

Is that what we see the future for UBB 10 years from now? Hey! Two years from now.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The UBB already handles members only areas, and has support for processing payments through PayPal...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep, I'm very aware of both of those. But I've waited almost two years, holding back some hacks because I thought a new version was imminent. Now, I'm wondering whether the FORUM portion shouldn't be more of a CORE function that allows (and encourages) other functions to be linked to it. In other words, embrace "extensions" and various other third-party kinds of add-ons.

Remember when the TRS-80 came out? And if you broke the seal on it, then the warranty was voided? And then the Apple II was available and it actually had a LID on it that you could OPEN and install new components!!! WOW.. .what a concept -- allowing other manufacturers boards to be added to your computer!

That ONE feature helped make APPLE more acceptable to the early programmers.

What if we changed course with Threads, and allowed (nay, ENCOURAGED) add-on's?

--BIll B
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
We have a small API written for authenticating applications off of a UBB login. I will need to review and audit the code before releasing it publicly, but contact me by PM if interested.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's a simple view of what I want to end up with.

[Linked Image from barkerville.net]

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, with groups you don't need passwords; you can have "payment" groups that people pay to be in, which already exists within the architecture; i'm just failing to see what you want that isn't already available...

I mean, I can make a "Premium Members" forum, and make forums that allow attachments for photos (gallery forum), documents (any forum with allowed attachments).

The store/chat you'd have to modify to support groups but it's not impossible, though a chat is a little out of scope of the forum, but possible...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well... maybe I'm too close to my other applications (and my users) but UBB does NOT seem like a good fit to provide ALL of these functions.

EXAMPLE A: I have HUNDREDS of car photos listed by different categories (eg. Year, Model, etc) and I need them search-able. They display in a "contact sheet" format and are then enlargeable with a simple click. Having a "gallery forum" doesn't even come close to providing this flexibility. It is too limiting.

EXAMPLE B: I have HUNDREDS of pages of PDF files that have a MySQL front-end and I need to limit this application to only paid members. These files are stored with a keyword search-able database fronting them. How do I use UBB to (SECURELY) throttle the visitors to this?

EXAMPLE C: A few years ago, I asked for a way to distinguish WHICH postings are in the PUBLIC forums and which ones are in the MEMBERS (Premium) forums when you view the ACTIVE TOPICS listing. Just a simple CSS shading would be sufficient. But the cardinal rule about "no hacks" and, worse yet, the GIGANTIC pain (PITA) to move these forward into the next UBB version, prevents these kinds of simple enhancements. My users want to quickly see which NEW TOPICS are more important (ie. Premium).

The CONCEPT: I think that my original premise was overlooked. UBB can NOT be all things to all people. For it to continue to expand and be "useful" in the future, it needs to be EASILY INTEGRATED in with OTHER applications. Whether it also provides a financial registration front-end or an IRC live Chat service is not the issue. Because no matter WHAT is included in a future UBB release, it won't be good enough, or fast enough for the emerging functionality that the USERS want to have. This isn't a criticism, but an observation. The world is always moving faster than any ONE company, or product, can provide... so the route to survival (IMHO) is to allow for a) approved, b) simple, c) safe ways to link, or integrate to other third-party add-ons.

Unless we have a legion of developers working on upgrades to Threads (which we never will have), then we need to EMBRACE the ability for other functions to be enjoined in an APPROVED manner. Ergo: Joomla-like.

Comments?

PS. I can't believe that I wrote that whole thing and didn't use the phrase "social applications/or/media/or/networks" once! :-)

--BIll B

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 939 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29