Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
i notice when replying to posts (or writing a new post too) that after you write more than the box size, the lines from then on jump up and down VERY annoyingly.

It happens to me quite often, but it's not only on this site. For me, it seems to be a combination of browser and memory clear problem.

I've found that if I leave the computer turned on for a few days without rebooting or clearing cache, the problem starts. It starts faster if I also have open some of the larger "memory hog" programs I use (Adobe Photoshop, especially).

What I've found is that it when it starts, I select "close" on the browser (that way I'm sure it actually stops running), close the other large programs I have running and reboot, the problem goes away.

And I now try to clear cache and remove temporary files more regularly.

Anyone encounter this? Anyone have advice?

FYI: I do clean the cache. we run on 7.5.3

thnks

Last edited by Gizmo; 09/21/2011 3:25 PM. Reason: removed the bold tags and put content in quotes for my own sanity
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could you inquire to the user(s) experiencing the issue as to what browsers/os they're using? It'd be helpful in attempting to replicate the issue.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
thhnks gizmo, i'll do that now

Last edited by tacks; 09/21/2011 3:28 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
FWIW, I'm willing to bet it's IE9 lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Yes, I'm getting this as well.

...and as the majority of my users use IE it's not a lolling matter. frown

I've noticed a distinct slowing down of posts recently.

R
R Offline

In the address bar on IE, there is a torn apart page icon that is called "Compatibility view." Clicking this to on - icon turns color - seems to help with this problem.

I get the same deal in Chrome at the end of the page. The last letter before dropping down a line jumps. Thereafter, no problem.

We do have issues with center island pages stretching to the right when someone types across the page with such stuff as hahahahah, etc. and when we got attacked by someone apparently trying to go into overflow as a means of cracking us. That is annoying. We also get some page stretching associated with other stuff I haven't been able to identify.

Perhaps a hard stop in page width would help with that, based on whatever resolution is being used.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

T
T Offline
Four users using windows 7 have this problem.

The browsers are Ie 7, ie 9 and mozilla.

Here's an explanation that seems as good as any:

"It happens to me quite often, but it's not only on this site. For me, it seems to be a combination of browser and memory clear problem.

I've found that if I leave the computer turned on for a few days without rebooting or clearing cache, the problem starts. It starts faster if I also have open some of the larger "memory hog" programs I use (Adobe Photoshop, especially).

What I've found is that it when it starts, I select "close" on the browser (that way I'm sure it actually stops running), close the other large programs I have running and reboot, the problem goes away.

And I now try to clear cache and remove temporary files more regularly."

Last edited by tacks; 09/25/2011 3:09 PM.
T
T Offline
FYI, perhaps this might be of help

"With all the talk lately about flashing screens, browser issues and whether this is a website or browser or computer issue, I thought this article showing recent browser speed test results might be of interest to some of us here.

http://www.linkedin.com/news?action...=eml-tod-b-ttle-96&ut=2bSqThFGUX_4U1

Since Firefox version 7 is being released today, I'm planning to upgrade."

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
That is interesting, thanks for the link smile

(My Firefox reminded me to update yesterday.)

T
T Offline
You're very welcome, driv. I'm surprised that i'm not reading more about this as several of us seem to be experiencing memory shortage problems -- we're having problems typing text in to the forum.

T
T Offline
As xxxxx mentioned, Mozilla released a new version of firefox browser that should help with this bouncing text/slow internet problem.

http://emigrant.ie/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/169583/Browser_Wars_New_Speed_Tests_O#Post169583

However unlike the updates this new version doe NOT happen automatically! You need to go to the mozilla firefox webs page and download it.

enhancements to increase speed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...amp;version=0.2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial/developers

(haven't tested them myself, yet)

Noticed an immediate increase in speed. I highly recommend.

T
T Offline
Update: Another member of our forum has also noticed an immediate and significant increase in internet speed.

T
T Offline
bump

HUGE improvement in speed!!!

I got off of Mozilla Firefox and used another internet browser. I was moving along like lightening.

I have a vague idea with what my problem with firefox but i don't want to mess with it anymore. I understand that firefox can be absolutely fine on someone else's computer. In fact it continues to work fine on my old computer.

But, for me, switching browsers made a huge improvemnt.

Thanks again to everyone who supplied me with helpful feedback and instructions over the years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 816 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29