Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#247001 11/24/2011 12:39 PM
old hand
old hand
One aspect of Threads that I've never really liked is how it handles email notifications of PMs. If someone has selects to be notified by email when they have a new PM, the system will send them a notification, but the email includes the entire text of the PM. This has caused two problems for me in the past. First, even though I have added "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL - LOG IN TO REPLY TO YOUR PM" to the header of the notification email, people continually reply to the email, thinking they are replying to the PM.

Secondly, there have been times when I have PMed someone, but decided part of my PM was something I really didn't want to say, so as long as it still says "unread by: Fred" (for example, I would edit the PM thinking all would be good. However, if they have email notifications set, they will see the entire unedited version in the notification email.

I would like to change my email notifications so that it only tells them they have a new PM and instructing them to log in to read and reply to their PM (or follow the link). I DO NOT want the entire PM text included in the PM notification.

Question: How can I modify so that the PM notification email does NOT include the PM text?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Can't help with the mod, but I'd like to agree on the points made. smile

...and perhaps ask for them to be considered in future versions?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, I'm all for an option in the software to show a part of the topic, but I would be furious if it did not send the full text of the PM to me via EMail...

As an independent contractor I do NOT check all of my client sites on a regular basis, and when receiving a PM it's generally the client messaging me about what they need; when checking from my email when I'm not in my home office I want the ENTIRE PM sent to me so I do not have to go and login from a computer that I cannot "trust" (potential keyloggers, having to install software to do various tasks, etc).

I'm sure a mod to do this wouldn't be too hard, likely just using the PHP functions substr and strlen then attaching some text at the end (such as "to view the full contents of this pm, click the link below").

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, I'm all for an option in the software to show a part of the topic, but I would be furious if it did not send the full text of the PM to me via EMail...

Clearly, what's needed, is the option to do either. smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Basil
...people continually reply to the email, thinking they are replying to the PM.

This has been brought up in other threads. I get at least one or two a day. With smartphones and people connected all the time now, there ought to be a way to deal with this.

Would it be possible to set the "reply to" email to be the user's who originally sent the PM?

M
mig Offline
M Offline
Oh I'd really like the option too, if enough people feel similarly.

When you receive a private message, do you want to be notified via email?

If yes, do you want to receive the full text of the private message within the notification?

I hate editing a PM only to realise that they've received the whole text as it was initially written. I love to edit! Also, some people keep their email open all day, so if they step away from their desks in an office environment, they have a privacy concern that can only be eliminated by choosing to not know if they've received a PM.

mig #247013 11/24/2011 10:03 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
An item I sugguested to Rick was an email piping feature (or built in IMAP/POP3 mail client) that could process messages sent to it and "deal" with them appropriately (with an id in the subject line with how to deal with the message); but I don't think it was worthwhile for him at the time... Personally I think it would have been huge in the forum world as a feature...

Originally Posted by mig
generally it'd be more of an admin option, to either send the full content of a message or a snippet of X amount of characters.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand

As an independent contractor I do NOT check all of my client sites on a regular basis, and when receiving a PM it's generally the client messaging me about what they need; when checking from my email when I'm not in my home office I want the ENTIRE PM sent to me so I do not have to go and login from a computer that I cannot "trust" (potential keyloggers, having to install software to do various tasks, etc).

I'm sure a mod to do this wouldn't be too hard, likely just using the PHP functions substr and strlen then attaching some text at the end (such as "to view the full contents of this pm, click the link below").

Too many of my almost 13,000 users are not computer savvy in the least - and they are forever replying to the notification email! (Of course I get the email instead of who they think they are replying to) For me, my system isn't emailing independent contractors, just members telling them they have a PM on the forum. You are knowledgeable enough to understand not to reply back to the notification email, but many of my members are older folks.

It would be a big help for me to NOT have the entire text of the PM included in the notification. I'd be perfectly happy to have none of the text there - just a notice that says "so-and-so has sent you a PM. Click here to read it." I don't care if it's an option, but it would sure be good for my operation.

old hand
old hand
An item I sugguested to Rick was an email piping feature (or built in IMAP/POP3 mail client) that could process messages sent to it and "deal" with them appropriately (with an id in the subject line with how to deal with the message); but I don't think it was worthwhile for him at the time... Personally I think it would have been huge in the forum world as a feature...

Originally Posted by mig
generally it'd be more of an admin option, to either send the full content of a message or a snippet of X amount of characters.

My vote is for the option of none of the text - just the notification with a link to the PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29