Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sirdude
well, it will probably have to be optioned

some peeps love their perceived SEO, based upon pre-crawled uri's

soooooo... i'm all for hiding it ala the way wordpress and MANY sites now do.. but there may be those who want to hold on to the old way for dear life too

laugh

Option works for me. My site is brand new and not launched yet so no crawling yet. Therefore I would love to start it off without ubbthreads.php in the address.

Love to hate, hate to love.
Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
My users are all going nuts because they can't embed images in a reply to a gallery forum. As far as I can tell this just isn't possible.
Any chance a small feature like this could be squeezed into the 7.6?

Thank you!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Another small change that would be nice is the query parameter in a site search being passed in the url so that can be tracked in GA.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Ok sorry I have another. It would be great if all posted links that were internal had the "nofollow" removed.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
R
R Offline
Originally Posted by gliderdad
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Something that jumped off the list at me: Adding users to an existing private topic opens a wide gamut of privacy concerns.

I would never ever post to or even read a private topic if I knew that another person could be added afterwards.

I agree 100%, the only way I would think of liking it is if only the person who created the topic can add, a notification in the pm was made that xxxx was added, and the newly added cannot look back through the topic.

We add people to PM's roughly three times a month as a matter of course - but only as an admin function which cannot be executed except by exactly two admins, which is to say not all admins can do it.

We only add them if everyone in the PM agrees and the PM starter requests it.

To give you some idea of our traffic so you can compare the requests to busy, we average about 450 - 500 posts a day. PM count is roughly 20 - 30 percent of our post count. This is our off season - it will start picking up now and will likely peak in February at around 1,500 posts a day.

For whatever it is worth, we compartmentalize what an Admin can do by using MySQL Workbench and only issuing scripts to who we want to have scripts. Only one person is allowed to write new scripts and only two have them all, for control and security purposes.

I would think that Sir Dude and Gizmo know exactly what I am talking about.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

LOVE the list, SD - thanks!!

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
journeyman
journeyman
Not sure if others would thing this would be useful or not.

I am spending more time on Facebook these days because of business stuff, the one feature that I miss when I am posting on my forum is the "Tag" feature. On FB when I want so make sure a person sees the post I "Tag" their name in the post. I find myself on the forum wishing that feature was there. I see quite often on the forum, "I hope or I am sure XXXX will see this and respond" If there was a way we could link their user name and they they could get some type of notification that they were mentioned in the post and a Link to it, I think that would be great.

M
mig Offline
M Offline
Terrific to find all of this activity.

Glad you are holding off for later discussion re:'adding users to existing PMs'. As many times as I've done the face palm, imo privacy concerns win, err, unless the newly invited could only read going forward. (Could be useful for admins only?)

7.6 list looks exciting and ambitious! Thanks SD et al!
mig

I love all the new enthusiasm and input its great to read so much activity well.

With regard to adding members in a running private message my input would be the follow using recent experiences.

ive had several world wars coming from private messages as i have a policy of not getting involved with them and private is private.

The mentality of members is really unbelievable they want to kill each other and tell she said he said.

Ive worked really hard over the years enforcing that private is private. And i can just see a group of members starting a private message about a member then a few months down the line inviting the person they have been talking about and then world war.

If you can protect the malicious side of it then it could work but for my self there is probably more hassel with adding members in a existing private message.

I would like to see a Grouping option for contacting moderators because what's great about private messages is that you can see who's read them.

just my feed back
because good members dont need policing only the bad.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
A
AVC Offline
stranger
stranger
A Offline
This is great news (the sale of UBB into stronger hands) and the appointment of new developers and programmers.

It would be great if UBB would produce and update the list of current programmers working on the script with their official titles for the members to reference.

This would be good for developers and users alike since customers would have a list of coders to PM when they have questions.

Last edited by AVC; 09/17/2011 4:26 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
RE: Like

Are we planning to use a FB integration at some point? If so, will we have the option to utilize the internal version vs a Facebook version? Or is the internal version using Facebook?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
this internal version is just counting UBB likes or you could even rename it to Thanks..

FB is a separate thing

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thank you for the "likes" smile When displaying the like: x in the profile, can the number link to the posts likes were given/rec'd?

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
This may have been discussed, but I think a lot more people would use the FB "like" function if it didn't record and display them on the topic. Most people on forums like to remain anonymous.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
is there a way to anonymously Like to FB with no account?

i don't get the idea..

expand further

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
When you click the "Like" icon in a post, it leaves the person's name with a link to their FB page next to the FB icon.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
ok, so it is just another type of FB Like option. i see what you mean.

there are different types of buttons where it could be anonymous, so i'll look @ it.

it will _still_ register with FB, but won't show in the forums that you specifically liked it..

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the FB like "links" to the user no matter what, it's not anonymous. You could just have it not show their picture however and it'd "Seem" anonymous...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
it can be made to show differently in UBB however. the current one we have is optioned to show a link to those who recently liked it upto a limit..

versus just showing a total like count only.

so it would be 'anonymous' that way

regardless of what i do here, the like and tweet ( and plus one ) buttons will _NOT_ show for any forum that isn't GUEST readable.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Sirdude
versus just showing a total like count only.

Just showing a "Like" count would be perfect.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
RE: Portal Enhancement

Would like to see this come to the normal forum pages versus just the main portal page (or maybe have a separate section for just the forum side of things).

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Would like to see this come to the normal forum pages versus just the main portal page (or maybe have a separate section for just the forum side of things).

+1 here.
I know SD stated there needs to be more addressed on islands and this is just a stepping stone.
But don't get me started on more options for placement of islands nor custom islands per forum.
I have been on that soap box for years.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer

expand on this please.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ok, I want forum stats above the forum list; so i'd select "above forum" (or something) and that island would show above the forum content (below would do similar)...

The item was posted as:
With custom islands, you can pull in Rss feeds, Popular topics, have a wide shoutbox only on the portal...
So we take that to mean only in the portal page interface.
Not in the forum pages. Something such as the ad content option does now.

Blue Man Group
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
Ok, I want forum stats above the forum list; so i'd select "above forum" (or something) and that island would show above the forum content (below would do similar)...

you mean ubb=cfrm?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ultimately... alternative templates too at some point

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
we're talking about 7.6, however in this thread.. i don't see this happening for this release

just use community introduction for that for the short term.

R
R Offline

I just went through (again) the change log updates. Hat tip SirDude. smile

Happy Holidays all!

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

How about in the user profile there could be a text area (like an expanded comments area) for the user to add in a mini-commentary, review, feature, picture of their dog... whatever. Kind of a "blogging junior" approach. It would adhere to the forums settings.

Once completed, users could post their "blog" alert in a shout box format, or as part of their user info in a post.

From the admin side, there could be predetermined categories for "Whats New" items, such as commentaries, reviews, etc. Any posting could be monitored with an alert like the current notify button. Whats New could have the option for admins to approve before posting.

This capability would further tie users into the community, provide constant news input, and provide an interim blogging capability.

guod@simhq [dot] com

twitter.com/SimHQ
youtube.com/SimHQcom
livestream.com/SimHQ
M
M Offline
Absolutely loving the 7.6 updates so far!

Re: Calendar Events

Would it be possible to include locale specific date and time with calendar events? My site includes a lot of live streaming events and it would be very helpful to our international audience to know exactly when they need to tune in their time.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
you can do that quite easily with a custom ubb code tag in your event description for now. even in 7.5.6 wink

the calendar / event overhaul is planned for 7.7+

M
M Offline
Not quite sure I follow how a custom ubb code tag fills this gap?

I contributed an Events Island a couple of years ago which pulls upcoming calendar events and displays them neatly in an island. When the date of the event is "today", it gets highlighted in the island.

The issue with this is two fold:

1. Each event is considered an "all day event"
  2. The date of this event is wrt the server date/time. Unless users happen to live in the same timezone as the server, then this is always "wrong" for them.

So when my users in the US see an event in Tokyo that occurs in the evening of Dec 23, by the time this event is highlighted in the island for them, the event is already over.

By having start/end date and times in the events table, I can accurately query, display and highlight events for users worldwide, wrt to their locale.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
you would have javascript tweak the custom island ( manipulate the DOM ) after the fact based upon getTimezoneOffset ( user browser supplied ). note, you'll have jQuery loaded by the board, so all the $('select me') goodness will be there laugh

i misunderstood that you had a precompiled CI, but the idea still translates ( i think )

you may have to modify the event island to not be so specific (ie: just do it in GMT), if you have offsets over 12hrs different. that way 'today' would be easier to modify based upon who's browsing. then the jQuery would do it's magic

smile

Anyway.. we won't be doing anything with calendar ( major ) until a later release wink

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
This may have already been discussed ... there are so many pages to read through, I could have missed it.

Has there been any discussion of a search feature for PMs? As an admin, I would like to be able to search my PMs by name and even a title or post content search.

JPG Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
>>> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...e_New_Features_Bug_Fixes_for_#Post247522

I'm tired of the teasing. Starting to feel like I'm sitting at the bar waiting for the bartender to serve me the most amazing beer I've ever tasted. Mr. Bartender spent 30 minutes explaining how wonderful the beer is. I finally tell him, "Dude, pour the damn beer please."

grin

There have been some back steps over the last two years.
But this time it looks like we are making progress.
Of course like the say:
The proof is in the pudding.

Blue Man Group
Journeyman
Journeyman
Whooho back on a roll, I am thinking of pulling up my old website again and launching my board games in the future.

journeyman
journeyman
I would rather have it right on release than to have to go do several updates to fix things.

I have the "Like" feature installed on my forum. So far the response has been good except for the original placement of the "Like" button. It isn't a full FB Like with the linking and that is fine with me. This is just a little bump, hey I like your post.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
yes, and the modified placement was done according to the feedback from your board as well, Val

ty smile

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29