Print Thread
Hop To
#248878 04/09/2012 10:25 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
First and foremost, I am WAY out of my league here...But,

Here's the deal,...I have a company that would like to advertise on our website. The banner that they would like to use is a "gif" file, and our tech guy is telling me that "gif" files won't work.

I'm guessing the "gif" part of it, is what makes it "flash" or show animation?...(like I said...way out of my league.)

Is there something he's missing?
We are currently running 7.5.3

If this is in the wrong place...I apologize.

I could sure use some help here...Thanks guys.

KevinL #248884 04/10/2012 12:49 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've run into this before too...

I just converted my GIF files into JPGs. Most any decent graphic program can do that.

--BIll B
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Will they still have the "motion" or animation?

This particular advertiser's banner runs for 8 seconds, but it flashes 4 different screens. Will it still do that with jpg?

KevinL #248890 04/10/2012 11:05 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Gif files can be animated; I don't know why your tech says it can't be used as anywhere a jpeg/jpg file can be used a gif should be able to as well.

The primary differences in gif's and jpeg's are that gifs can hold animations but can only supply a specific amount of color and is usually a computer generated image; whereby a jpeg is a one frame image (no animations), can hold more color depth and is generally for pictures one would take with a camera.

Short and simple, your tech needs to brush up on his tech, any image can be embedded onto any page of the UBB by editing code (or using the inserts section of the control panel).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I use many gif images in the adverts on my UBB pages.

They appear to be animated as they contain several different frames, stored and sequentially reproduced.

To all intents and purposes*, they may be used in the same fashion as jpgs.

Be careful though, your clients will take liberties with the banner size and weight(kb). Write a spec. sheet that gives guidance with regards to these issues.

* I'm talking specifically with regard to displaying as an advert on your pages.

Gifs work.
Now if you are using them as a file attachment you do need to add the extension as a allowed upload file.
I think the default extensions don't have gif's

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I am Alan, the not to tech, tech. https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/images/icons/default/confused.gif

We had a web designer build our website, and I use the admin side to put up or take down the advertisement banners and whatever else is needed on the website. I don't know much about the designing of websites or much about using code. I can figure out what I need to do most times, but not this.

When I try to upload the new .gif banners we are trying to use, it gives me an error message that I am using the wrong type of file, but .jpg's don't give me any problem's. I assume this is an issue with the way the website was designed? Can I change this in any way?

Thanks for any help,

Al

If you are using the ubb to upload a file attachment instead of just using a ftp program and inserting reference to the location.
You need to tell ubb that a gif is allowed.
Goto Control Panel » Feature Settings
Select the attachment tab.
Under Allowed Attachment File Extensions:
Follow the directions and add the extension.

Blue Man Group
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
That is an awesome piece of advice, and thanks for the quick reply! But, .gif is already enabled where you advised, which is the forum admin. The the guy set it up to upload a banner, I have to go through the homepage admin which is a different admin, and their are no options like that on that admin page.

I hate to ask for more, but i'm still stuck.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by alhersch; 04/10/2012 8:03 PM.
Addict
Addict
I use several .gifs, moving and not, in banner ads and elsewhere. No issues.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Okay I need to ask specifics.
Where are you attempting using the gif file.
Custom island. Html includes, ETC.
How are you uploading the file and where are you using it.
Also at what point are you getting a error.

Blue Man Group
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by alhersch
I am Alan, the not to tech, tech. https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/images/icons/default/confused.gif

We had a web designer build our website, and I use the admin side to put up or take down the advertisement banners and whatever else is needed on the website. I don't know much about the designing of websites or much about using code. I can figure out what I need to do most times, but not this.

When I try to upload the new .gif banners we are trying to use, it gives me an error message that I am using the wrong type of file, but .jpg's don't give me any problem's. I assume this is an issue with the way the website was designed? Can I change this in any way?

Thanks for any help,

Al

Originally Posted by alhersch
That is an awesome piece of advice, and thanks for the quick reply! But, .gif is already enabled where you advised, which is the forum admin. The the guy set it up to upload a banner, I have to go through the homepage admin which is a different admin, and their are no options like that on that admin page.

I hate to ask for more, but i'm still stuck.

Thanks,

Al

To me it sounds like they are using a CMS and trying to go through there. Normally you'd ftp up the images and insert script for banner in an island. If they are using a CMS adjustment need to be made to the CMS software to allow uploads of .gifs there. We all know .gifs and others work by default with ubb.

Last edited by gliderdad; 04/11/2012 5:58 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Looks like we have "JW Image Rotator 3.17" on the forum and homepage to rotate the images. I've been in contact with the web designer this week and he seem to think the animated .gif's defeat the purpose of the rotator?

Al

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29