Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#251536 12/18/2012 1:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 95
D
journeyman
journeyman
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 95
Is there are preferred (meaning easy) method for downloading a complete running forum to a local computer?

I need to do some trial and error PHP programming. Since I don't know how to program in PHP, I need a safe environment for my T&E training. crazy


Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
dbremer #251537 12/18/2012 1:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Sure you can. But first you need software to run it on.
For a windows pc you can get
WAMP
http://www.wampserver.com/en/

It is free and has everything you need.
PHP,MYSQL,Apache

Last edited by Ruben; 12/18/2012 1:34 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
dbremer #251541 12/18/2012 2:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Oh, I guess I may have missed the part about downloading.
You will need a FTP program to be able to download and upload the files. Such as Filezilla, Which is free.
Somebody used ftp to install it.

Then you can probably goto your host control panel and download the database via probably phpmyadmin or you may have a tool in that control panel to just download the database using tar or gzip.
I know if you have cpanel most do have a backup icon you can click on to download the database.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
dbremer #251542 12/18/2012 2:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3

dbremer #251544 12/18/2012 3:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Or you could run Ubuntu and just install apache and mysql from the apt repo (that's what I have locally), or you could have a separate install on your server that you can hack at.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
dbremer #251583 12/20/2012 2:57 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...izmo_s_UBB_Threads_7_x_Transf#Post178189 this is an excellent manual from Gizmo on how to actual transfer the board.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
dbremer #251586 12/20/2012 3:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Awe schucks...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 494 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)