Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#253106 06/26/2013 1:36 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
My Hosting Provider is suggesting that I install a Malware Checker (like Maldet).

This seems difficult using Plesk. The source file is gz.

While I've spent some time trying to figure this out, I guess that I'm in the "hate Linux" stage right now. :-)

Any suggestions on 1) whether I need this on my UBB server? or 2) What's the easiest way to install it? or 3) Is there a different product that I should be thinking of?

--BIll B
Bill B #253107 06/26/2013 2:48 PM
I don't use any malware protection on my site.
My desktop yes.

Now I am not saying it is not a needed security step.
But why is the host suggesting to install it?

And as far as I can tell to install maldet you need ssh to install and use it. So if you don't have ssh then it is useless.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Bill B #253108 06/26/2013 2:53 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, if it's a gz file you're going to have to login via SSH and un tar/gz it:
Code
tar -xzf filename.gz

Then you're going to have to gander at the files in it, it could be anything from a set of source files that you have to compile and run, an apache module that's precompiled that needs to be moved somewhere and included in the apache instance, etc...

BTW, this isn't for the faint of heart, one could technically nerf their server if they didn't know what they where doing...

We decided to use Cloudflare as a CDN (they have a free version and several paid versions) to provide several protection mechanisms (please note, if you do choose to use Cloudflare you still have to patch your apache server, otherwise all incoming users will display the IP of cloudflare).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Bill B #253109 06/26/2013 8:20 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay - that's good info to digest.

I got started on this path after our Forum was unavailable EVERY SUNDAY during backups - for over three hours!! Additionally we have had numerous slowdowns at totally unpredictable times.

When confronted with this on Monday, our Host Provider (Webintellects) suggested that we include an anti-virus and malware detector s/w on our Apache server (with UBB).

We looked at the logs and saw that we were reaching Max Connections. And a lot of the incoming IP's were not logging in to the forum. So it appeared to be some sort of "phishing".

As a first step I added an htaccess file which blocked tens of thousands of Chinese IP addresses. And for the past 48 hours, our site has NEVER run faster than it is right now.

So the maldet is just another check to make sure that we don't have some other corruption already imbedded.

--BIll B
Bill B #253110 06/27/2013 12:54 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think a CDN may be a good route; check out this faq

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Bill B #253114 06/29/2013 1:08 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It sounds too good to be true. How can they offer it for free?

--BIll B
Bill B #253115 06/29/2013 2:08 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Because they figure if you use it that you'll want the features of their other plans...

I run the free version for every site on my VPS, it's nice; and you can mark what hosts you don't want to go through their CDN and it'll link directly (which was required to use my own domain with tumblr).

Bill B #253167 07/10/2013 3:04 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
After researching this for the second time, I'm still a tad confused. It emphasizes the performance (etc) of HTML pages. But does it support PHP (ie. UBB forums)?

I recently added a htaccess file to my server to ban ten-thousand IP addresses. I'd like to use CloudFlare's feature instead.

But, again, do they consider PHP to be "http equivalent"?

--BIll B
Bill B #253168 07/10/2013 3:54 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
All of my sites use CloudFlare ; I've got at least 5 ubb installs... A good example one would be A Gardeners Forum as you can see from the DNS it is using CloudFlare and as you can see from navigating the domain it is just a ubb forum.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 939 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29