Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I've got an old post that has 15 links to other threads and some external web sites. However, when updating all the links for 7.5.7, I can only include 3 "[ url ]" tags before the system starts giving me a "forbidden" message (reference in a different post).

So, even tho I removed all the tags and the forbidden message went away, the evident root problem still exists.....how to have more than 3 "[ url ]" tags in a post.

I've looked in the control panel and don't see any settings that would limit the number of links you configure so I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas?

The only item other than what gizmo suggested being mod security.
Is if the links are in quotes. And are nested.
Which is a setting in ubb.
Control Panel » Display Options[-]Post/Reply Page Options
Maximum number of nested quotes in a post:

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
what is the link of the 4th url?

i wonder if mod rewrite has a section for number of links in a form submission...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Well, the url's aren't nested and all the links are for threads in the local forum.

I'm checking with the host to see if they have the mod_security module but as it's the same host as Sir Dude uses I wonder....

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
it's mod_security ( probably ).

and yes, i use him for my hosting, but i purchase dedicated servers from him and set them up my way.

he uses mod_security, and i don't wink

mod_security is a good thing, so really just a coupla tweaks to allow those posts through as to not be detected as security risks, should be good for you smile

stranger
stranger
Greetings

The full message (for more than three UNNESTED links included in a post to a thread) is:

=================

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/ubbthreads.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

=================

I am not our message board's owner, but I do have Admin privileges, FWIW.

8D -- I do not have ANY knowledge of a message board's code (though I've written software in many now older languages), so what you've posted above it totally 'Greek' to me.

Someone claiming to know the UBB software (Mike at Virtual Night Club dot net) converted the owner's old 5.something UBB package to 7.5.7 for our board's owner. Did a pretty good job, but I don't know if he would understand your information.

Could the number of unnested links embedded in a post be raised to - say - ten, without much effort?

ANY help here would be appreciated.

RIck-

8^D

RIck- ("Rick" with a dash - the 'other Rick')

8^D
well that is a server message not a ubb message.
Possibly you have a issue with mod security if that is enabled on your server.
But anyway.
Somebody needs to check your server logs and try to pinpoint why the error happened.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The error could be permission based (either on the /forum directory or the files in it), some webservers don't like broad permissions on folders/files; make sure the /forum directory is chmodded 755 and ubbthreads.php is chmodded 644.

As for the 404 error, that's entirely server generated, it's telling you that the file indicated to be loaded as the error page doesn't exist.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
stranger
stranger
Ruben & Gizmo --

You're still over my head - "speaking Greek" as it were. (But that's nothing new, to me.)

I do NOT get so far as posting (SUBMITting) my entry. The message appears when I click on PREVIEW POST button, in what would normally be the Preview area. I'm just wanting to review my keyed text for proper syntax, English, grammar, etc.

So I click on PREVIEW POST and immediately I get the FORBIDDEN error message shown in my earlier post.

I see several other threads on this message board related to the FORBIDDEN message. None of the others APPEAR to be related to what I'm doing, but I could be out in Left Field when I say that.

FWIW, any of my attempts to edit my older posts - which contain MORE THAN three URL links to what are still live / viable entries, either in or outside the UBB message board (or both) - will also generate the FORBIDDEN message. Thus, while those older posts (all entered by me via an earlier UBB version) were accepted / processed by / functional in that older UBB release, they will still function in 7.5.7 without error messages (links are all viable and active). BUT: any effort to edit that old post and then PREVIEW said post will instantly kick up the FORBIDDEN message. (FWIW - I entered / submitted the content of that old post.)

Are you still maintaining what you've stated, just above this post? (FWIW, I am not able to check the server for presence a Mod_Security component, as I write this.)

Just for kicks, I'm going to open another post below this one, and add a number of URLs to it to see if I get that same FORBIDDEN error message here.

RIck-

8^D

8^D
stranger
stranger
Testing, Testing ---

Stop Forum Spam "Test" Utility
1 link

RFC 2822 error
2 links

How can we reduce BOTS and Crawlers?
3 links

How to add logo to top of board?
4 links

No images, adding extra slash
5 links

Empty posts..
Funny thing - we're seeing the same problem on our 7.5.7 message board. The owner believes that forcing all posts to be using UBB and/or HTML formatting cures the problem. Haven't yet tested this theory on our message board. (I added a post to that thread.)

Help - Forum Hacked
7 links

O.K., let's see what happens when I PREVIEW POST.

==========================

This message board flies with 7 links; our copy / installation would not have.

RIck-

8^D

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29