Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
B Offline
Our board has been up since ~2001. Between then and now, no maintenance has ever been done to purge users who no longer have a valid email address listed. Well now I'm trying to take care of that, but I'm running into issues.

What I did was set up a user group labeled "Inactive". The plan was to send a mass email to every registered user on our board through the control panel, and for every email address that came back as undeliverable, that user would be moved in to the Inactive group. Problem is the system seems to be having issues with this. So far I've repeated this four times and every time I get a batch of 10-20 undeliverable addresses. It seems to be sending the email to a certain number of users and then giving up. One of our board members has received all four emails, while another one has received zero.

Any ideas on a better way to take care of this, or if I'm just doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Brian

1st item to consider is email accounts temporarily go offline just like your isp.

2nd item is some people may still have a valid email account but don't use that specific email anymore.

3rd item is your host may be limiting how many emails can be sent per minute/hour/day/month.
So they throttle the number of messages sent ad do not allow all of them to be delivered.
You may want to contact your host about this item to verify.

4th item is the board email account may be blacklisted by some isp's

it is good practice to do it several times. but I would be using the inactive group for repeat emails.
So you don't nag your good accounts.
Then monitor future normal emails for bad accounts.

As far as the one member that never got one.
send one to him directly from the ubb

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd like to state that #3 is quite common, especially with shared webhosting environments.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
B
B Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
2nd item is some people may still have a valid email account but don't use that specific email anymore.

This is why I'm moving them to another group instead of getting rid of their accounts altogether. Our board members are required to maintain a valid email account at all times, and I posted a global announcement a few weeks prior to starting this process. So I can still "re-activate" them if they want to be re-activated.

3rd item is your host may be limiting how many emails can be sent per minute/hour/day/month.
So they throttle the number of messages sent ad do not allow all of them to be delivered.
You may want to contact your host about this item to verify.

I'll have to ask our website guy about this one. I don't know because I sent out an email, got something like 20 undeliverables, cleaned them up and immediately sent out another one and get 20 more. Anyways - certainly worth a check.

As far as the one member that never got one.
send one to him directly from the ubb

Well that was just kind of an example. There are many more than just the one guy who didn't get any of the emails. It seems like only people with low registration numbers are getting them. Member numbers at least 700 and up are not receiving them, out of a board with 5500 members. Member numbers below that may also not be getting them, but that's the lowest confirmed number I have.

I'll have my website guy check on whether the host will limit emails or not. I really wanted to use this email feature to keep our members informed and up to date with everything that is going on with the club and message board.

I forgot to mention in my initial post the way I am sending out the emails. I went to Member Management in the CP, pulled up every member via search in all member groups, Selected "Email" via the Action dropdown, Selected "All Members in Search", then on the following page "Send Mail Directly to Members".

B
B Offline
The web site guy got back to me as I was typing the last post. This is what he found:

NOTE - If you are planning on using this or any other script for sending out emails, and it requires to run a process for longer than five minutes, you will need to purchase a dedicated IP from us. Please contact technical support to find out more information on running processes for extended periods of time with a dedicated IP.

I guess that means it won't work unless we purchase a dedicated IP

well there is a workaround you could try.

breakup the mail list into several smaller ones. Then send them out one list at a time.

In member management you can save several searches.
the hard part would be how to break them up in smaller groups.
Advanced search is very limited. But is doable if you take a lot of time the first time around.

Or instead in member management opt for Export list of addresses. , instead of mailing.
then break it up that way and send it with a email program.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29