Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
He didn't specify which December smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
old hand
old hand
OK, who moved the carrot and where is it at now.

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Sounds like somebody has read
Who Moved My Cheese.
Great book.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
He might have better quoted Clara Peller who said, "Where's the Beef?". [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Addict
Addict
When will this ever happen?

A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Tapatalk , responsive mobile website or whatever we need to go mobile !
is a big step but looks like we are way overdue frown

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They backtracked, current word is we're not getting Tapatalk but are instead getting a mobile interface because we "can't control the tapatalk ads"; which is retarded since their interface is beautiful and my tapatalk client doesn't even show ad's...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It took about a year to pass, before anyone from UBBT mentioned anything about a switch to /not/ supporting Tapatalk. And even then, it wasn't directly from a UBBT staffer/owner, it was from a forum moderator. Thank you, Giz. It was much appreciated for that update smile

Re: Tapatalk has Ads?
I guess so...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18kc2g/ads_now_showing_up_in_tapatalk_a_299_app/
and @ https://www.google.com/search?q=tapatalk+ads

Although I have paid TWICE for Tapatalk (phone & a tablet UI versions, pre-Tapatalk 4.x), I have yet to see any ads in these paid versions. But if there is a free generic version (is there such a thing?) I would already assume that there would be ads in it. That seems to be one of the few models being shuffled around through mobile app devs these days. At least it is not an IAP for a "per/post read" model grin

I really wish there was more direct communication from the UBBT software owner/devs. As it stands, the impression given is that all UBBT changes/additions are done according to the direction the wind seems to be blowing at the moment. Features talked about month after month after month (years, mostly) pass and nothing ever gets done. Bugs present themselves, but not a single response from an UBBT owner/developer of a fix -- or that the bug is even acknowledged.

A simple, "Thanks" or "expect this to be fixed in the next release" or even a, "file a [paid] support ticket @ blahlbah-URL-blah" would be nice. It would also work wonders for moral in the user support forums around here. The only thing I desire here, is for those who are running this show, to invest a few minutes a week in to the customers who pay your bills.

You're charging premium rates for the software, but for the past several years, have been delivering sub-par effort in maintaining that product.

Am I out-of-line for asking this much?

Last edited by id242; 04/06/2014 11:20 AM.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
H
H Offline
What would Tapatalk actually do for a forum...? I'm not sure what this product is.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by id242
It took about a year to pass, before anyone from UBBT mentioned anything about a switch to /not/ supporting Tapatalk. And even then, it wasn't directly from a UBBT staffer/owner, it was from a forum moderator. Thank you, Giz. It was much appreciated for that update smile
:snicker: should more say "volunteer" as we moderators are simply users of the product who where on the initial beta team.

There was an official comment around here somewhere on Tapatalk; I'm simply "relaying old news" so to speak.

Tapatalk is a program for android devices which allows forums (such as vBulletin, PHPBB, IPB (which support it)) to effectively be an "app" on someones Android device (Phone/Tablet). Your forum would be the application a user utilizes. I have 8-10 sites I use Tapatalk4 to post on (mainly android related forums such as Cyanogenmod).

It's pretty nifty, you have notifications sent to your device when something on your watchlist is replied to, you can post and read from the app, pretty much anything you can do "in a browser" you can do through tapatalk.

Plus it supports other forums and has a listing of forums that support it; so say you wanted to go off and use another forum you could, and you can just click a couple of options and you're right back to your site. Their DB of sites is pretty large at this point as well.

You can read more than I could ever do justice here.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Found it, it's actually in this thread, direct link:
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
we are going with a responsive mobile CSS using twitter bootstrap...

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Brooks, are we still planning on trying to get something working with Tapatalk? I think this is a much needed feature since even the freebies offer it at this point...

I wish such decisions where still "per user request" like with previous administrations; or at the very least "per license holder request" (though since I own 8 licenses I wonder if I'd be allowed multiple votes, lol).

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd just like to state for the record, control of the ad's was supposidly why we're not getting Tapatalk, but their "Build Your Own" page (clicky) specifically states:
Build your own forum app with personalized app icon, look and feel, branding, plus additional features including Google AdSense, Google Analytics, Admob, DoubleClick for Publisher, iAd, Push Notifications and more - 100% under your own brand with full control!

So it looks like we would, in fact, get control over ad's on our sites.

It makes me wonder if "the powers that be" where using a non-official Tapatalk interface when making said decision.

At this point in time I just wish we got something for mobile applications soon.
Even if it does not please everyone.
It has been promised for a very long time.

Blue Man Group
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe we should stop fighting and just "go with the flow". I'll be in Portland on Saturday Gizmo. Wanna hold our very first "Go With The Flow" user Threads conference??

Oh, yes. I'll need some time to step away and attend a funeral at 1:30 in Beaverton.
But that probably won't be much different than the mood at our conference!!!!!!

grin grin grin facepalm grin grin grin
ha ha... I kill me.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bill B
Oh, yes. I'll need some time to step away and attend a funeral at 1:30 in Beaverton.
But that probably won't be much different than the mood at our conference!!!!!!

grin grin grin facepalm grin grin grin
ha ha... I kill me.
:snicker:

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bill B
ha ha... I kill me.

Hat tip to your A.L.F. reference laugh

[Linked Image from blog.gilly.ws]

Reading all of these posts on changelogs and planned features, and indefinite delays to 7.6 and the now-mythical 8.0 is saddening.
I've been a Threads user for a LONG time and, by far, it is my preference to stick with, but had I known that it is effectively a dead product at this point, there is no way I would have just paid for a renewal so that I could update.

I would say that I feel swindled, but 'caveat emptor', I guess.

Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
old hand
old hand
A lot of us hung on on the words that the upgrade was so many months or weeks away, a few times.. now we are past the point of their even being convertors to go to another software package.

Hope you read this before it gets deleted.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Stan I hate to say it but you are right. Wish we would get a update... My users and the presedent of the club are asking about different options and I can't give them any that would not mean starting fresh or paying for help moving to other software.

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
old hand
old hand
They should come out and be forthright the development of this software has stopped, and they have failed the users.

Originally Posted by Stan
They should come out and be forthright the development of this software has stopped, and they have failed the users.
Well then why keep posting here.
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.
Myself I still have hope.

Blue Man Group
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
I'm putting together ( with Brooks ) a list of things that will be on the next release. It includes any known bugs as well as new features that will be mentioned in new thread.

No timeframe, but we will be making this happen.

The key thing I'm wrestling with is whether or not to break with the current structure to a new structure, where we pave the way for more modern UI as well as DB. this would entail writing an importer vs an upgrader, which is a step that has been required for some time.

Just when to take that leap is still a decision tree item.

2c

Cool.
I don't like the no time-frame comment though.
We have been told this many times.
Version 8
version 7.6
Etc,Etc.

I am not trying to bust your chops SD.
I know it is a item that is somewhat out of your control.
Just my observation on what has transpired over the last few years.

A importer was long overdue to fix some issues such as changing the dbase to utf8.
As well as other items mentioned in the past.

Blue Man Group
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ruben
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.

Hung on so long we are passed the point of being able to go elsewhere. No importers.. Even Rik said he could not import to VB.

old hand
old hand
This software, was still the best to have.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I would never recommend VB. Many have moved to IPB

I see that FusionBB recently called it a day.

Hopefully UBB will have life still.....

old hand
old hand
I concur about VB UBB has a much stronger easier management section and control panel.

old hand
old hand
Will a mobile responsive design be in the next release?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If you feel that way.
Then Move on with Life.

Because we paid for a service and have been let down by empty promises. When someone does you wrong you want to let them know. Rose colored glasses wont make it any better.

-Tim
old hand
old hand
Please give us at least a progress report or some hope, thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
With the intent to lookout for all of your current paid license-holders (customers), is there a timeline for a release-to-public of the above-mentioned solutions which you've adopted in to UBB Central?

Since the most recent UBBT release on 11/30/2013, there has been a possible login cookie problem for all users of Internet Explorer 7 (and prior versions). On a url with an underscore, IE silently drops all cookies for that host and refuses to accept new ones. The server sends Set-Cookie response correctly, yet the cookie never shows up in IE.

I'd rather license a forum software with a company who properly maintained release timelines and enforced integrity assessments and mitigation instead of a forum software which shoots the messenger and dismisses all risks/bugs for every license holder.

On 05/10/2014, following my thorough report and suggested solution, you've fixed the problem here on your user-to-user support forums, UBBCentral.com, but you haven't made the fix available to your currently licensed subscribers.

Please don't be just another company who cares more about being "right" while ignoring the problem, rather than protecting/supporting your license holders (customers) from known flaws in your software.

---
Originally posted on 30 May 2014 @
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/255604#Post255604

old hand
old hand
He said it was going to be soon. No need to remind him every couple of years, it will come out.. sooooon.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The only valid reason to not release timely updates would be if there where no bugs with a solid and complete feature set; neither of which we have.

For those of us with the coding knowledge to fix our own problems and institute our own features this is just a smaller issue, but for others it is truly a big deal.

Please don't be one of those vendors that feel that just because the vocal few are upset that there is no problem as the voice of a few should be treated as the annoyance of many.

When I worked the call center racket we quickly learned that one distressed user represented a hundred/thousand users who just didn't want to complain (either that didn't know how, or felt, like many of us, that they where just talking to a brick wall).

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
No need to remind him every couple of years,

I hope the Like buttom comes soooooooooooon! smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
The only valid reason to not release timely updates would be if there where no bugs with a solid and complete feature set; neither of which we have.

For those of us with the coding knowledge to fix our own problems and institute our own features this is just a smaller issue, but for others it is truly a big deal.

Please don't be one of those vendors that feel that just because the vocal few are upset that there is no problem as the voice of a few should be treated as the annoyance of many.

When I worked the call center racket we quickly learned that one distressed user represented a hundred/thousand users who just didn't want to complain (either that didn't know how, or felt, like many of us, that they where just talking to a brick wall).

And getting stone-walled about any progress.

-Tim
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If it's any consolation to anyone, Myself and several others are still updating the UBB.Wiki and UBB.Dev and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. This includes documentation, modifications, and new features; but you're either going to have to get comfortable with installing modifications or hire a developer to install them for you if you choose to go this route (remember, we don't work for UBB Systems, we're volunteers; we don't get compensated, we're simply trying to expand the feature set; Buy us a Beer, say thank you, something to keep us encouraged).

I don't know why I did not think of this before but since we are going forward with SFS
Why not add it to the advanced search in member management.
Say for the bad email and or bad ip.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
With SFS turned on within UBB.threads 7.6.0; SFS is done once at every new user creation, and once at every login -- every time.

If any spammer already has an account (from before SFS was turned on), they wont be able to log in with an ip/email address if its on the current SFS list.

--

unless your idea was just an attempt to search for legacy members who created accounts a long time ago, by validating those "registration IP addresses" to a current SFS IP address database. then deleting those accounts. Your legacy members might not even be tied to those old IP addresses any more, but you would punish them (deleting their accounts) for an address match to an IP/email they no longer have.

EDIT: are we talking about the same thing? crazy

Okay so what version has or will have the login detector giz added to sfs.
I thought it was still a hack at this point.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Okay so what version has or will have the login detector giz added to sfs.
I thought it was still a hack at this point.

Do you have access to http://www.UBBDEV.com ?

Direct link to the SFS updates for UBB.threads 7.6.0:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...ds-7-6-0-progress-report-07-12-2015.html

Scripts
• ADDUSER, LOGIN -Major Stop Forum Spam updates. More thanks to James Corthell (Gizmo)!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29