Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Like the title says, I'm going to be upgrading from 6.5.5 to 7.5.8 and I want to be able to exactly replicate the look of my site, but also still offer users the newer looks.

I'm assuming that this will require playing with the .tpl files.

My question is simply: Are there any directions or tutorials on creating styles that use a different set of templates while allowing others to use the default templates?
e.g. How do I set up Style 'Foo' to use Templates in the 'Foo' directory while users using Style 'Bar' still use the stock Templates in the 'default' folder?

Secondly, and I'm guessing the answer is 'Yes' to this, will I need to recreate ALL of the .tpl files?

Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
WOW a lot to answer here.
Exactly is subjective.
are you talking font(size,color)
Color scheme
Image set.
If so then that only requires a custom style, using css in the style editor.
You can add as many styles as you wish and make all of them available to members to over ride the default style if they wish.

If you are talking about the layout of table content:
Such as adding in the extra info at the footer that does not exist in ubb 7.5.8 and items such as the hot topic icon moved to the left,
would be a template change.

That would usually be a global change that applies to all of the different styles.

I have never heard of or seen a site that uses different template files per style.
But I guess it could be done.

I also am not aware of any tutorial on the subject, other than searching here for misc. modifications to styles and the WIKI.

Anyway my suggestion would be to install v7.5.8 as a test board and add some of the other styles posted here to experiment with.
If you can achieve what you want with only style changes. You can export them.
Then when you migrate your board you can import them back.

Last edited by Ruben; 08/07/2014 2:40 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
I have never heard of or seen a site that uses different template files per style.
It's how I envisioned theming working in v7 (as opposed to styling)...

As for the topic at hand, once you start tearing templates apart you are going to forefit your rights to support from the powers that be, they may still work with you, but they cannot support 3rd party code modifications. That being said, that's what UBBDev was made for, but you're not going to find much info on v7 for making a theming system.

You can style quite a bit with the default editor, www.agardenersforum.com or my Development Forums are both stock as far as the style goes, everything is done with CSS. Though none of them are stock, I modify all of my sites.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
WOW a lot to answer here.
Exactly is subjective.
are you talking font(size,color)
Color scheme
Image set.
If so then that only requires a custom style, using css in the style editor.
You can add as many styles as you wish and make all of them available to members to over ride the default style if they wish.

Well, ideally, yes... as close to the same as possible. Making some concessions to things like relocated functionality isn't an issue, but the one time I played with this briefly, I was able to get the simple junk like colors, font, etc... to match up quite simplistically, but getting the overall look of the site to FEEL the same wasn't so easily done, and this is why I started to think that perhaps I had to modify the templates.

Neither had I, and while I don't post on here much, and didn't even register until '06, I've been a Threads user since around 2000... but, I figured that since there is a subdirectory to organize the templates into a folder named 'default', that it should be very doable to have something that isn't the default, and it should be easily switchable. I'll scan the WIKI to see what I can find smile

Anyway my suggestion would be to install v7.5.8 as a test board and add some of the other styles posted here to experiment with.
If you can achieve what you want with only style changes. You can export them.
Then when you migrate your board you can import them back.

Yeah, this is the route I first attempted a couple of year back under an older version... I just don't recall which one.
I'll definitely give it another shot - path of least resistance, and all that. I just wanted to do due diligence in case I had to go the route that I thought I might have to go.

As for support... not worried about that at all. I've been tearing apart the 3WT/UBBT code for a while wink

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i worked on an EVE ( social strata ) importer and they also wanted a 'clone' of the way it looked.

it involved modifying .tpl files ( about 10 of them ) as well as css and also html.inc.php to send a different header.

it's all possible 2c

screenie below
Attachments
onecnc.png

Nice!!

That seems to be just the critter I'm lookin' for.

for the record, getting what I needed via CSS was WAY simpler than I thought.
I'm not very certain of what it was I did wrong the last time I attempted this a few years back (other than being a n00b with CSS back then), but it was pretty smooth this time around.

Thanks, all!

Glad to see you found a way with CSS.
Then if we ever get a update then you can just import the style back in.
Then there is no need to re-edit all of the tpl files every time.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29