Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#256224 01/01/2015 3:27 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Has anybody else ever had issues with the side bars randomly disappearing? I had this problem once before and now it's back. Things like the shout box, search bar, top posters, etc.. start not appearing. That part of the screen just stays blank. Normally, a few of my side bar items do show up, but about 2/3 of them are missing.

At the same time, if I make changes in the CP, most of the time the update fails (no message) and the config file is rewritten as blank and the board crashes until I restore a backup of the config file.

These two problems are related somehow. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
Evan

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
RE: Side Bars:
I'd definitely check the permissions on the cache directories (777) and of the files in them (666), then clear the cache.

RE: Changes/Blank Config:
There is an old bug report somewhere where Rick mentions a fix that ones host needs to make; what happens when the config file is written is that every variable is read in before it's written, then written back out, and some hosts only allow X amount of variables to be present in a post/get. You'd have to use the search to find it though, I'm sure it's linked to in several threads that pop up.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Gizmo,

Thanks for your reply.

RE: Side Bars
My permissions for the cache folder were 755. I've changed them to 777. Do you think that was the problem, or is the first 7 the most important one?

RE: Changes/Blank Config:
At this point, I can only change my config file manually via text editor. Any changes through the control panel wipe the config file. I spent a while searching the forum for any posts by Rick that address this problem. All I found were two threads where the same problem went unanswered. Sadly, one of these was mine because I had this problem a few years ago... (it magically went away)

I can continue to edit my config file manually, however, I need to reinstate my side bars (shout box, search, top posters, custom island 1, etc...)
I don't know the format to add islands into the array.
Could somebody paste in that section of a working config file?

Thanks!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Probably your issue, they're not random numbers, each has a specific value according to how a *nix system will treat the file; 777 means world read/write/execute, which means any user with proper access to your directory (such as apache, the webserver) can write to said directory. If it was 755 you aren't building any files in the folder.

As for the changelog, it's an issue with your host, but unless the thread can be located to give them a message on how to fix it there isn't much you can do.

The sidebar data I have at A Gardeners Forum is:
Code
  'LEFT_COLUMN_BOXES' => 
  array (
  ),
  'RIGHT_COLUMN_BOXES' => 
  array (
    1 => 'portal_box_8',
    2 => 'portal_box_4',
    3 => 'shoutbox',
    5 => 'public_calendar',
    9 => 'forum_stats',
    12 => 'top_posters_30',
  ),

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Thanks, Gizmo!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not a problem, Evan; I hope all is sorted on your site now. I'll look for that thread when I get some free time.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm pretty sure I've found the culrprit, I'll type out an explanation here for you to give to your host:
I believe that the issue lies with the suhousin module installed on the server. By default suhousin will limit the amount of variables that php can read as a protection from buffer overflows. With our script, UBB.Threads, when the config file (config.inc.php) is written it will submit all configuration variables as post data which can exceed the amount of variables which suhousin can process; this limit will need to either be removed or increased to alleviate the issue where the config file will write blank data which will disable the forum until a backup file can be restored.

And I'll type out a statement for the search feature so that this thread can be easily located in the future:
Too many configuration variables are being submitted for the "suhosin" module and it's clearing out the configuration "config.inc.php" file.

I really just want to quote Rick, who is missed dearly
suhosin strikes again. For anyone following along or comes across this in a search. suhosin is limiting the amount of form variables that can be passed to the script and discarding the rest.

More information on what "suhousin" is, that I posted in one of the threads I'm linking to below:
Suhosin is an advanced protection system for PHP installations. It was designed to protect servers and users from known and unknown flaws in PHP applications and the PHP core. Suhosin comes in two independent parts, that can be used separately or in combination. The first part is a small patch against the PHP core, that implements a few low-level protections against bufferoverflows or format string vulnerabilities and the second part is a powerful PHP extension that implements all the other protections.

Unlike the PHP Hardening-Patch Suhosin is binary compatible to normal PHP installation, which means it is compatible to 3rd party binary extension like ZendOptimizer.

Here I will provide some "handy dandy" references so that I don't have to hit my head against the wall next time:
Display and Feature settings gone and will not reset
7.5.5 all moderator permissions gone if you try to update mod group
Losing forums??
Losing forums??

In fact, you might as well just link your host to this particular posting, with this url.

Go figure I get free time in the half an hour I wake up to my morning coffee while getting my son ready for school, lol.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If I could have you do me a favor, make a new file on your webserver called suhosin.php which will have the following:
Code
<?php
if(extension_loaded("suhosin") && ini_get("suhosin.get.max_value_length")) {
	echo("suhosin is active, with a value of: ". ini_get("suhosin.get.max_value_length") .".");
} else {
	echo("suhosin does not appear to be active.");
}
?>

What is the value that prints to the screen?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wrote a suhosin check for the admin CP at UBBDev here.

Nice one G ive just updated my setting to accommodate the issue which i was not aware of but if you google it, it is something to think about as many are pointing out this low default setting.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29