Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Wouldn't be that difficult, use the html include for the header, include a php file, in that php file simply do what your script does, but in PHP/HTML:
Code
<?php
	$hr = date("H");
	$min = date("i");

if($hr == 00) {
		$color = "#00FF00";
		$message = "It's Midnight!";
	} elseif($hr == 02) {
		$color = "#FF0000";
		$message = "It's two AM!";
	} else {
		$color = "#FFFFFF";
		$message = "";
	}

echo("<div style=\"background-color: ". $color .";\">". $message ."</div>\n");
?>

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I'm sure that can be done and fix the problem however every page in my site I'm working on is not PHP nor do I want it to be. Also I'm using various software packages tied to the UBB user database for the central log in making it easier for me to manage everything.

Doing as you suggest for the UBB to make it work then would require me to make any changes or additions and even deletions multiple times every time making it another task. I created my design to be able to run anywhere in the site as a one edit or change script for the entire site and every page and software package on it. I wanted to get the UBB part all finished before making the rest of the site.

I know the 7.5.9 version was to clean up code and all that but apparently making it more efficient makes it harder for guys that like to think outside of the box and be even more creative in the building and look of the rest of the site with tying it into the UBB having it look like it is all one design and fit together nicely. I would just love to know what part aka code was changed in the UBB that caused the problem without having to scan through dozens of files and thousands of lines of code to make the correction or fix. Having not done to much with the code with UBB in several years I'm not very proficient in the files and where what is located anymore.

Veteran
Veteran
Ok here is what it looks like before the upgrade and after the upgrade. Please note the 1px line now is much higher in the UBB.Threads 7.5.9 version.

Good Header:

[Linked Image from ourpitbullworld.com]

Broken Header:

[Linked Image from ourpitbullworld.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Make note of your characterset in /languages/english/general and then upgrade, then paste it in the upgrade; it's UTF-8 by default now, so just rolling back to ISO should make everything look the same.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Both the new and old version of the UBB have

Code
$ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "iso-8859-1";

in file generic.php located in /languages/english folder

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The most current released version of UBB.threads is 7.5.9 (January 2015)

/languages/english/generic,php line number two is:
$ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "UTF-8";

I cannot find "iso-8859-1" in any other file within the most current version (7.5.9) of UBB.threads, other than the included library, phpmailer 2.0.x

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Veteran
Veteran
Ok I changed the file with the editor and it didn't change the board look in the template.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I must have read things out of context. sorry.
I will go back to watching batman now tongue

Veteran
Veteran
LOL, If I go into the language editor it does say UTF-8 and I did change it to iso-8859-1 in the editor BUT if you edit the file before making the change and look at it then it does say iso-8859-1

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Check the stock version, fresh from the archive. The file date should be "01/27/2015" with the time being "07:05:09 AM"
If it is a different date than that, you are working with a modified file. You can re-download the original, unmodified archive from the members section here.

ubbthreads-7-5-9.zip
MD5: f3ffc7eed4f4abba9a252630c94cb5cd

Veteran
Veteran
I just re-downloaded it again and checked it against the one I have uploaded to my test site and checked on the time and date and it is the same.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
I just re-downloaded it again and checked it against the one I have uploaded to my test site and checked on the time and date and it is the same.

Check the unmodifed file from the archive. Not the file you have made changes to. The unmodified file will look just like the screenshot below.

[Linked Image from id242.com]

Veteran
Veteran
Yes that is exactly how it is

Veteran
Veteran
Apparently we have lost some posts here in this thread.

Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I re=wrote the entire part that puts the stuff on the screen in the header design to make it work. What happened some where is that the new version of the UBB totally redefines how tables are used and displayed. Also it changes the character set for some of the characters for instance you have to use &copy over just displaying to actual © symbol. There are other settle problems as well with the UBB 7.5.9 over past versions that I have noticed in fixing my little issues.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Just to clarify; Every time you write "new version," you actually mean "version 7.5.9." It that correct?
And what version did you come from?

Tables have been used the same way throughout all of UBB.threads 7.5.x releases. What version of UBB.threads did you come from?

There was a lot of inlined design elements within the 7.5.x series; these included obsolete techniques by today's web standards, and coding bits that were never correct, but did work in some browsers because they allowed, converted, and processed those errors as if they were correct. Internet Explorer, I am looking at you :|

UBB.threads 7.6.x has plenty of tables replaced with a heavier use of CSS for page building, page styles, and content positioning.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes correct on the version.

I came up from 7.5.6p2 I have not put the 7.5.9 public yet, not until I make the changes I need for my site and have everything ready to go then it only takes me 5 minutes to change over from one version to another.

LOL, I don't use IE except to once and a while test how it would look in it. It is to un-secure and to many faults. I primary use Firefox but always check with chrome and all those too just to make sure it looks goon in all of them.

One other item to remember is with upgrading older ubb threads versions.
Many css elements were added/changed, so even if using the default style, you need to go thru the style editor and at the very least copy the default setting.
Most all of them will have a copy link in the editor to paste the default values.
If you don't do that it will be a blank css element for that setting.

You never mentioned what style you were using. But even a style for version 7.2 will work for the new version you just need to address the css settings for the style versions that are older that the ubb version and add the missing css info.

Last edited by Ruben; 03/07/2016 3:59 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a security issue that 7.5.8 addressed which is not fixed in prior versions.

Veteran
Veteran
The style I'm running I created on 7.4 years ago from scratch. Yes I'm aware of the security problems before 7.5.8 and I have the patch installed on my board. UBB 7.5.6p2. I'm assuming that the p2 means it is patched for that mail problem.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
P2 is not the same as the patch in 7.5.8; 7.5.8 was created specifically to fix a security issue and to add compatibility with PHP5.4+ and MySQL 5.6.

Veteran
Veteran
I'm most likely changing over to 7.5.9 this evening or this week some times anyway.

Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I upgraded to the 7.5.9 and in my HTML in my post of the board rules it changed the ' to �. How do I get it to display properly. I had a similar issue with the © symbol and just elected to use the &copy ; in its place.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Charset needs updated back to the ISO specification you used previously; as mentioned previously in the thread.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29