Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
topic editing timeframe #259199 02/22/2017 11:23 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
Bad Frog Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
what's a reasonable timeframe for people to be able to edit their posts?
I have mine currently set for 24 hours.

what about requests to delete old posts?
I ask because recently someone was giving me grief because they couldn't edit/delete a 5 year old post.

is it wrong when I tell people I won't delete their account if they have posts associated with it?


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259200 02/22/2017 11:33 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
isaac Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
some forums set the post edit time to 20 minutes, others to 1 hour. and some allow a longer period to allow the OP to make corrections.

its all about allowing the OP to post something. have a bunch of replies based on that post added. and then the OP changes their post to something else. and the people who replied now feel abused because their answers no longer match what they replied to.

there is a "report" button which i find useful for submitting requests to have a certain post updated, moved or deleted.

as for when a user asks to have their account and posts deleted; this can be handled several ways. personally, i grant their request, but keep their posts, and have them all marked as created by "unregistered." so the actual content is kept, and the conversation flow is not destroyed.


Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software // 7.7.3 released!
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259201 02/22/2017 11:41 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
isaac Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
continuing...

ultimately, its your choice in how you want to manage your forums. there are no set guidelines which you need to follow, other than "be consistent with your end users."

in one forum i manage, i allow posts to be created by unregistered anonymous users. i also dont allow posts to be edited past 1 minute on that forum. it use to be that i didnt allow post editing at all. but users wanted a way to quickly correct a typo they noticed right after pressing the submit button.

again, this is only on one single forum that i manage. my other forums are all set for about 2 hours of time before a post can no longer be edited.


Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software // 7.7.3 released!
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259204 02/22/2017 1:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,275
JAISP Offline
Veteran
Offline
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,275
In my forums I allow for the users to edit a post for 1 hour and do not allow them to delete their posts.

As far as deleting an account I made a group called suspended and all the permissions are set to 0 or -1. I then wipe the account information and change the email address to one of my crap email accounts, turn off all notifications, and remove their avatar and just leave their name associated with their posts. I only do this if the user request their account deleted.

For permentaly banned users I pretty much add them to the banned list, put them in the suspended group, and turn off all notifications to their account. I only ever had to ban less than 12 people since 1998.

Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: isaac] #259205 02/22/2017 1:07 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
Bad Frog Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
Originally Posted by id242
some forums set the post edit time to 20 minutes, others to 1 hour. and some allow a longer period to allow the OP to make corrections.

its all about allowing the OP to post something. have a bunch of replies based on that post added. and then the OP changes their post to something else. and the people who replied now feel abused because their answers no longer match what they replied to.

there is a "report" button which i find useful for submitting requests to have a certain post updated, moved or deleted.

as for when a user asks to have their account and posts deleted; this can be handled several ways. personally, i grant their request, but keep their posts, and have them all marked as created by "unregistered." so the actual content is kept, and the conversation flow is not destroyed.


this is why I had originally set such a short edit timeframe, because of abuse like that.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259206 02/22/2017 1:09 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
Bad Frog Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 735
so people can't claim some weird privacy issue or something because I refuse to delete posts or accounts, I'm not legally obliged to do this in any way am I?


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: JAISP] #259208 02/22/2017 1:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
isaac Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Online Splat
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,536
Originally Posted by JAISP
In my forums I allow for the users to edit a post for 1 hour and do not allow them to delete their posts.

As far as deleting an account I made a group called suspended and all the permissions are set to 0 or -1. I then wipe the account information and change the email address to one of my crap email accounts, turn off all notifications, and remove their avatar and just leave their name associated with their posts. I only do this if the user request their account deleted.

For permentaly banned users I pretty much add them to the banned list, put them in the suspended group, and turn off all notifications to their account. I only ever had to ban less than 12 people since 1998.


I like this idea a lot! Its quite a bit of work, but it keeps a good "paper trail," while giving the end user what they want... need smile

Originally Posted by Bad Frog
so people can't claim some weird privacy issue or something because I refuse to delete posts or accounts, I'm not legally obliged to do this in any way am I?


Do your forum rules state that whatever (non copyrighted content) is posted, becomes owned by the forum owner? Are you allowing the user to edit and delete the content later if they choose? What is written in your privacy policy? How to you deal images and text that is copied from another website -- is it attributed?

I suppose some "googling" could be done on this topic, and you could form your own set of rules. Different countries handle things differently depending on where your "business" is based out of.


Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software // 7.7.3 released!
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259216 02/22/2017 2:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,845
Gizmo Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Offline
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,845
My edit time is a day, delete is a day.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Need to Upgrade?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Re: topic editing timeframe [Re: Bad Frog] #259988 03/29/2017 12:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,062
Mark S Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,062
My rules say, the content belongs to the site, and the account is yours.

Please delete my account, no problem the content and user name stay.

Personal details are deleted with the account.

I get them to email the request, so I have a paper trail. No good as a private message if the account is gone.

Oops this page was open on my other device, only upstairs realised it's a month old. Lol.


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Forum Search
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Followed List v7.7.2 Question
by Ruben - 11/12/2019 12:22 PM
UBB Dev
by JAISP - 11/03/2019 11:01 AM
Exceeded Number of attachments
by rbrtgrmn - 11/02/2019 9:57 PM
Forum New User Registration
by kf6zpl - 10/25/2019 10:45 AM
Having issue with redirects to UBB classic URLs
by amciotola - 10/16/2019 12:11 AM
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ruben, isaac), 82 guests, and 423 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Stones
Stones
by isaac, August 19
Amusing Terain Scenics
Amusing Terain Scenics
by isaac, August 19
Sky places
Sky places
by isaac, August 19
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Snapshot build 20191023)