Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#259405 02/25/2017 11:10 AM
K
K Offline
Following the launch of 7.6.0 I am very excited. I have had to make some changes to the header I made around 12 years ago, but from now on we're VERY mobile friendly! Woow!

I must say over the last years I have always been changing some stuff in the templates and scripts which I have to do over and over again. I will list them below.

1/ iso instead of utf-8

I've dragged this board forward since 2001. The initial installation has been left unchanged so everything is still iso encoded. Every time, I have to manually edit the generic language file to reflect this. I also have to add a htaccess / php instruction to treat php output as iso. It would be so nice to take this into account.

2/ post icons

It might sound boring, but we only have one post icon. I have to manually remove all post icons (it would be nice to put this in packs!) and manually edit out the 'no icon' in the html.inc.php file. Still leaves me with a selection possibility of one single item. Would be nice to detect this.

3/ image posting

We have our own custom tag to include images (triggering a popup). Even when I disallow img tag in posts, the image button is still there in the text editor. It would be nice to take the setting into account so the image button no longer appears.

4/ admin iso

even though the generic language file is set to iso, the control panel requires an extra line of header code in the admin.inc.php file to show the correct characters

5/ avatar size

There is an inline style to pull the width to 150px wide in the profile pages (also followers / friends). I always change this so it doesn't stretch smaller images. Also the inline sizes skew the image due to not taking into account proportions.

6/ Topic tooltip preview

Irrelevant in mobile, because you can't 'hover'. Should be turned off there. Now it just pops up when you click the link, which is a bit silly.

7/ RSS charset

Yeah I keep coming back to this. The RSS charset is defined as UTF-8, breaking RSS feeds if the database is iso. Manual edit required here as well. Should also take into account the generic setting.

8/ Title editing on replies

I don't like that people can change the title in a reply. It's been the cause of much confusion. I know there is a function to retitle all replies, but that's post-fact fixing. I always edit the files so people can't set a new title. I also do this in the edit screen, even though a result of that is that the original title can also not be edited. I don't care too much about that, but the thinking is not 100%.

9/ Font and size selection

We don't have font family / size selection. I've emptied the boxes in the control panel. However, I also always have to edit the text editor template to remove the (then empty) buttons for this.

10/ Favorite topic

My members hate it when the 'follow this topic' is checked as standard when posting a new post or a full screen reply. I always have to edit that out in the newpost and newreply templates.

11/ Moving to a new domain

I would also suggest to create a 'move' script, which for example searches the database for the old URL in posts / ... and replaces it with the new URL. We have recently done a move and this has demanded a lot of .htaccess work to fix several issues (not just related to the forum), to make sure old (even internal) links and images (avatars,...) to work again.

12/ Graemlins etc.

I've always stuck with the Graemlins that were created at the very beginning. My users also like them. They're clean and timeless. Every upgrade, I have to restore them from a backup.

The above always make an upgrade last an hour instead of just a matter or minutes. I always am afraid for an upgrade as well, since the character setting for example could at one point just disappear. Making me unable to go further.

It would be nice to turn the above into settings / options / ... in the control panel. Or image packs for avatars, forum images,...

Kayjey #259436 02/25/2017 6:30 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Kayjey
Following the launch of 7.6.0 I am very excited. I have had to make some changes to the header I made around 12 years ago, but from now on we're VERY mobile friendly! Woow!

I must say over the last years I have always been changing some stuff in the templates and scripts which I have to do over and over again. I will list them below.
I'm glad that you're enjoying the hard work that went into overhauling UBB.threads.

1/ iso instead of utf-8

I've dragged this board forward since 2001. The initial installation has been left unchanged so everything is still iso encoded. Every time, I have to manually edit the generic language file to reflect this. I also have to add a htaccess / php instruction to treat php output as iso. It would be so nice to take this into account.
If you do not upload the languages folder, it will attempt to patch your existing one; a problem here being if there where major updates such as v7.6.0; we recommend that if you've edited the standard language files to patch the new ones with those same changes (with a tool such as Beyond Compare).

2/ post icons

It might sound boring, but we only have one post icon. I have to manually remove all post icons (it would be nice to put this in packs!) and manually edit out the 'no icon' in the html.inc.php file. Still leaves me with a selection possibility of one single item. Would be nice to detect this.
If you intend on changing the default images, make customization in a customization folder (copy the default folder and change those images). Changes to the default images happen, they've happened all through the life cycle of UBB.threads.

3/ image posting

We have our own custom tag to include images (triggering a popup). Even when I disallow img tag in posts, the image button is still there in the text editor. It would be nice to take the setting into account so the image button no longer appears.
The official support stance for UBB.threads is that modifications to the code cannot be supported; the default behavior is to use the internal system; if you want the icon to no longer show and don't want to use the new attachments system, you'll have to apply your modification again, and remove the post icon in the standard text editor template. Again, modifications to the base system is unsupported.

4/ admin iso

even though the generic language file is set to iso, the control panel requires an extra line of header code in the admin.inc.php file to show the correct characters
This line is already in your admin header. $charset is taken from your forum's set CHARSET setting.
<meta charset="$charset">
So if you have "utf-8" set for your forum, that will also be used in your control panel
If you have "iso-8859-1" set for your forum, that will also be used on your control panel

5/ avatar size

There is an inline style to pull the width to 150px wide in the profile pages (also followers / friends). I always change this so it doesn't stretch smaller images. Also the inline sizes skew the image due to not taking into account proportions.
This is covered here.

6/ Topic tooltip preview

Irrelevant in mobile, because you can't 'hover'. Should be turned off there. Now it just pops up when you click the link, which is a bit silly.
long-pressing on mobile, will display the information you'd normally see when you hover your mouse pointer over an area. long-press on mobile = hover on desktop.

7/ RSS charset

Yeah I keep coming back to this. The RSS charset is defined as UTF-8, breaking RSS feeds if the database is iso. Manual edit required here as well. Should also take into account the generic setting.
There is no character set in rss, it should have never been defined in the code, we remove any mention of that in v7.6.0.

8/ Title editing on replies

I don't like that people can change the title in a reply. It's been the cause of much confusion. I know there is a function to retitle all replies, but that's post-fact fixing. I always edit the files so people can't set a new title. I also do this in the edit screen, even though a result of that is that the original title can also not be edited. I don't care too much about that, but the thinking is not 100%.
You're an admin, you have every right to open up the post_side.tpl file and hide/remove the subject line, but that behavior is not supported in UBB.threads

9/ Font and size selection

We don't have font family / size selection. I've emptied the boxes in the control panel. However, I also always have to edit the text editor template to remove the (then empty) buttons for this.
Again, if you don't want this shown youc an edite them out of the standard_text_editor template.

10/ Favorite topic

My members hate it when the 'follow this topic' is checked as standard when posting a new post or a full screen reply. I always have to edit that out in the newpost and newreply templates.
This behavior was added to engage posters, so that when a question is asked they can easily access the topic; as you've already done you can change the behavior in the template.

11/ Moving to a new domain

I would also suggest to create a 'move' script, which for example searches the database for the old URL in posts / ... and replaces it with the new URL. We have recently done a move and this has demanded a lot of .htaccess work to fix several issues (not just related to the forum), to make sure old (even internal) links and images (avatars,...) to work again.
Not needed or recommended, you should ONLY backup your database from the command line, as attempting to do so on a marginally sized board will hit time limits on the server, and leave you assuming you have a proper backup. There is a guide on UBBWiki Migration Guide, changes to the database would require a developers eye, as you could easily hose your installation.

12/ Graemlins etc.

I've always stuck with the Graemlins that were created at the very beginning. My users also like them. They're clean and timeless. Every upgrade, I have to restore them from a backup.
So create a custom folder for your additional content, so that they don't get overwritten when we do updates to the ones that are released with the upgrade package. The style system will read additional folders and allow you to chose them on the first section.

It would be nice to turn the above into settings / options / ... in the control panel. Or image packs for avatars, forum images,...
Changes come in time, we spent 2 full years on this release (which was way longer than our Fathers Day 2015 internal date); we didn't even get half of what we wanted into v7.6.0, but after two years in development we had to draw a line.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Kayjey #259440 02/25/2017 8:42 PM
K
K Offline
3/
This is just using normal configuration. I'm just saying you can set the img tag to not 'work' in the admin panel - but that the button to use the tag on the front end does not go away. This is not logical.

4/
I will check again, but from experience the (manual) setting in generic.php language file is not used in control panel.

8/
I'm not hiding it there. I'm preventing they set it by editing new post, new reply and edit post scripts. I don't want people editing titles because it can mess up search results and is confusing on the front page displaying the last post title.

9/
That's what I do. But the code should be prepared for there being zero fonts / sizes in the list and auto hide the buttons when there is nothing to fill the selection list.

11/
I've done many a ubb backup, restore, move to a new domain,... in the past 16 years. Up to restoring 12 year old partial archives. I know my way around the databases and I can backup and restore my 3GB ubb in under half an hour on a new server, swapping domains as well - even without command line access or ssh. I'm just saying that the function to rebuild content after changes in custom tags could also include the option to change links to the old domain as well (avatar url, links inside posts,...). It's not that big of a deal.

99/ smile
Thanks for some ideas you sparked in my head!!!!

And yet again thanks for kicking some life back into UBB!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29