Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260391 08/12/2017 1:53 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi All,

I have subscription membership and since the upgrade the new members that are using the checkout are being forced to have a PayPal account rather than just using their credit to complete the payment.

Does anyone know why this would be happening because on my online store they don't have to have a PayPal account to pay as we just use PayPal as a gateway for credit cards.

Any assistance would be great.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are two payment options; Cash/Check & PayPal account. And there is a manual option, where you manually enter their subscription information.

If you have PayPal enabled, the user can choose to pay by:

IF THEY USE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT:
a) PayPal balance using one of their attached bank accounts or credit card accounts, or by entering their credit/debit card information.

or

IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO USE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT:
b) By entering their credit/debit card information. This is called "PayPal Guest Checkout."

See attached screenshots
I just confirmed that both options are available for me. I am in the USA. Maybe there is an issue in your country?

Maybe PayPal is being more strict with that particular user / IP address group / country. I don't know. But I am not having a problem with this feature at all. Either way, this a PayPal issue with your user and their choice of payment.

---
edit:

BOTH OPTIONS:
[Linked Image]

PAYING WITHOUT A PAYPAL ACCOUNT:
[Linked Image]
Attachments
20170811_23-15-20.PNG 20170811_23-13-58.PNG

Last edited by isaac; 08/12/2017 2:22 AM. Reason: added screenshots

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
isaac #260397 08/13/2017 11:08 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
isaac,

I have spoken to PayPal and they have advised me that it would have to be with the code on my forum which is causing the issue. They have advised that subscriotions are not accepted by paypal but donations are. Would a code be available to class it as a donation to work around the issue.

This is what was sent to me from PayPal:
It was a pleasure speaking with you and I am so sorry I was not able to resolve this issue.
As suggested, please reach out to www.paypal.com/mts for further assistance.
It appears it can be done with a developer and API credentials.

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

I have attached images so that you can see what is happening when I try to subscribe through the forum.

We have an online store and the setup works quite well and the clients have the option that you showed me in your post but not on the forum side.
Attachments
screenshot-www.paypal.com 2017-08-14 12-56-43.png screenshot-www.paypal.com 2017-08-14 12-57-34.png

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Thanks for the additional information, along with your screenshots. I just went in to the subscription pages and was able to duplicate them myself, just as you posted.

What I found after some further research:
They need an account with PayPal because PayPal stores their credit card information so they can be charged at each renewal bill. UBB.threads does not store any credit card information at all, making this impossible for the forum software to request a renewal fee on its own. Because of this, the user needs a PayPal account for their forum subscriptions.

Have the user create a PayPal account, so they can store their credit card information. This will allow them to be billed again, once their initial term has expired.

One-time purchases and donations to not require a PayPal account.

EDIT:
As a solution for the UBB.threads PHP Forum Software not storing credit card numbers:

If they do not want to create a PayPal account, but they still want to use PayPal (???), give them an option for longer periods.
EXAMPLE::
reg with paypal account): $10 per each month.
reg without paypal account): $120 for 12 months.

Personally, I dont want to have anything to do with anyone's CC numbers, other than my own. Its too much of a liability if my data were to become compromised.
Attachments
20170813_20-30-08.PNG

isaac #260400 08/14/2017 12:42 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by isaac
As a solution for the UBB.threads PHP Forum Software not storing credit card numbers:

If they do not want to create a PayPal account, but they still want to use PayPal (???), give them an option for longer periods.
EXAMPLE::
reg with paypal account): $10 per each month.
reg without paypal account): $120 for 12 months.

Personally, I dont want to have anything to do with anyone's CC numbers, other than my own. Its too much of a liability if my data were to become compromised.

Please note that I don't have the re curing payment ticked (becuse people here do not like being billed all the time) so it should allow a single payment using a credit card via PayPal. It used to do it in the past as I had a few subscription areas (ranging from $10 to $15.00) but since the update things seem to have changed once we decided to just have a one off payment for all areas.

I myself even on the online store do not collect credit card information just because of the liability, the only information that we have is the clients phone number and address for deliveries.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Attached are screenshots from v7.5.x and v7.6.x. As shown, the features were not changed. Nothing was added or removed. Only the layout was cleaned up.

PayPal may have changed the features policies on their end. They have made multiple updated to their website and rules every few months. They may have updated their policies to only allow subscriptions only for for PayPal members. If this still works for other software you use, then I dont know what to say. No related subscription/billing features from 75x to 76x were changed.
Attachments
20170813_22-01-05.PNG 20170813_22-14-15.PNG

Outdoorking
You may want to contact Basil, that is his user name here.
He is probably the user that uses this feature the most.Or at least did.
I don't know if he upgraded ubb but he probably will have the most knowledge of daily use with ubb and paypal subscriptions.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29