Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#260650 11/07/2017 10:12 AM
whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
One of the features that users continually request in the forums I run is a WYSIWYG editor. I'm not talking about an editor that does everything, but one that allows someone to cut and paste formatted text so it shows the way it was originally formatted with basic attributes such as:
  • Font attributes (bold, underline, italic, superscript, subscript, colors, size)
  • Indents
  • paragraph alignment
  • Tables
  • links
  • possible image pasting (I know this may be a challenge)

Basic functions using the existing UBB toolbar would be a great start that could be enhanced in future leases. Most people don't want to worry about adding open and close tags while editing because that is not the way they normally work when using other software.

In addition to the forum I run with UBB Threads 7.6.0, I also run another forum running phpBB3 3.2.1. Both of these forums lack WYSIWYG and I am contemplating migrating both to a forum that has this capability.

Is it that difficult to implement, thus being the reason the WYSIWYG capability isn't there?

As an alternative, would it be possible to have a cut and paste feature that interprets formatted text and creates the BB codes? I have seen packages that have "Paste as Text" and "Paste as Word" functions.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The formatting items you've mentioned and easily be accomplished by clicking on the PREVIEW POST/REPLY button after your entered your BBCode formatting.

A WYSIWYG editor for UBB.threads is something that I had started work on a while ago. It currently has a few major bugs in how it treats HTML/BBCode, and cannot be included as part of the UBBT package until those bugs are ironed out. But it is in the works. It is a low priority on the "things that need to be done" list, but it is on the list.

A screenshot of that work:

[Linked Image]

If your discussion forum requirements have changed from using bulletin board software for sharing communication, and you now desire an entire document suite to get ideas across, why not embed Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, Adobe PDF attachments or Microsoft's "Word/Excel/PowerPoint for Web" sharing? The tools have been out there for a few years already, and they are free.

To embed a document from Google Docs/Sheets/Slides, from within your Google Drive, open the document you want to embed and click on the "Publish to the Web" link under the "File menu." Then "Embed" and copy the code into your post as "HTML only" or "HTML and UBBCode" from the Post Options section. But since allowing random/untrusted web users to post with HTML is a security risk, choose the "Link" option and add that in to your post with UBBCode as a URL.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
whk
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by isaac
The formatting items you've mentioned and easily be accomplished by clicking on the PREVIEW POST/REPLY button after your entered your BBCode formatting.

A WYSIWYG editor for UBB.threads is something that I had started work on a while ago. It currently has a few major bugs in how it treats HTML/BBCode, and cannot be included as part of the UBBT package until those bugs are ironed out. But it is in the works. It is a low priority on the "things that need to be done" list, but it is on the list.

Isaac - thanks for the reply. I noted that your reply uses iframes to insert the Google docs stuff. This would be well past what we want for an initial capability. I understand that the "preview/post reply" capability exists for BBCodes (and html if authorized). I do use that but many of the forum users just don't want to get into learning how to use the codes. That is why a simple WYSIWG editor with the few basic functions would be valuable.

In summary - many of our forum users don't want to learn or adapt to another way from what they already know and use for basic formatting capability. If basic WYSIWYG capability could be added, it would go a long way in meeting a large population of users desires.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"many of our forum users don't want to learn or adapt to another way from what they already know and use for basic formatting capability"

"basic formatting capability"
1) Highlight the words you want to change the format on.
2) Above the text editor, click the button that matches the format you want that highlighted text to become.
3) profit?

Beyond the information and screenshots I've shared with you about the "in development" status of an WYSIWYG editor, thats the current situation of UBB.threads software today.

I'm sorry that this may not be the answer you want to read, but it is the answer to your question.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29