Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G Offline
OK. So change to setting less than or equal to your php.ini setting for upload_max_filesize which must be >= than post_max_size integer. (Reference: PHP.net Reference)

My php.ini is set to 8M by default for both upload_max_filesize and post_max_size integer. File sizes larger than that, say 12M, I would need to change both to 12M at least. Trade off would be larger files in storage and slower browser loading speeds.

Got it.

I am a Superstar! Testing signature here
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Geoff
OK. So change to setting less than or equal to your php.ini setting for upload_max_filesize which must be >= than post_max_size integer. (Reference: PHP.net Reference)

My php.ini is set to 8M by default. File sizes larger than that, say 12M, I would need to change both to 12M at least. Trade off would be larger files in storage and slower browser loading speeds.

Got it.

I dont think you quite understand how any of this works.

The php.net item you referenced is regarding overall uploads that your website can accept, regardless of what you set within your forum software.

The forum software settings will determine what the forum software will allow. This is a custom permission setting per each user group. And the upload will be limited to anything less-than or equal to your php setting.

The image file attachment compression happens immediately after a user uploads their image file.

If A user uploads an 8MB image file, and that file gets compressed to 300KB, the file gets stored as 300KB. It also gets displayed on the web pages as 300KB.

There is nothing larger about it. The original file never gets stored, and because it never gets stored, it is never able to be displayed to any users on your web page. So there is no slower loading of pages or larger storage requirements.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
v7.6.1.1 will compress your image uploads. Prior to v7.6.1.1 the uploads would be the original "off the device" size.

If you want to increase your allowed upload size any higher than the current PHP setting you will need to make sure that you increase both upload_max_filesize and post_max_size as they both affect uploads. The System Requirements Test script will report the current values of upload_max_filesize and post_max_size and will report the current maximum image size that you can use (which would be the lower of the two values).

Personally, I have my forums configured to allow 8MB uploads so that my users can upload files from their phones and digital cameras. For reference, my Nexus 6 produces a 13MP photo at ~4-5MB which is compressed into an image file less than 1mb.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I have mine set at 32M so I didn't have to look up all the different devices and with all this new stuff coming out always bigger and better then the previous model will still work.

D
D Offline
I'm considering the v7.6.1.1 upgrade. I see that I can adjust max memory size of images to be uploaded. Can I set image attachment uploads to be resized to a max memory size and max pixel size? I'm thinking 200k-250k and 800 x 600. Or is memory size the only factor that can be adjusted?

This sounds great!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Gallery forums have always allowed compression, since they where first introduced; v7.6.1.1 now allows the same compression settings on post attachments.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
In v7.6.1.1, I can set the post attachment image max pixel dimension in height and width and the compression level, as my current galleries are now? That would be wonderful.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As those are a part of the compression settings, yes.

D
D Offline
Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29