Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Addict
Addict
My forums have been around for so long that there can be nearly 100 people on a given thread's conversation list. If the thread becomes active again by new posters all those 'new post' email messages go out and I get tagged as a spammer. I'm trying to just turn off all the email notifications for now.

I tried using

update ubbt_user_profile set user_email_watchlists = 0;

but then I still got a bounceback from someone. Is there something else I should try setting, to turn off those email messages on the new posts?

Thanks.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Your database query should disable emailing of watched lists, I'm not sure why users would receive mail for watched topics if that setting was disabled. You should note, however, that we cannot support anything having to do with queries being executed directly on the database outside of the stock queries within UBB.threads ("Email Updates To Follow Lists" is a setting in the member management system as of v7.6).

If you really want to stop all emails coming from UBB.threads you could append "-- Invalid --" in the SMTP configuration (CP -> Master Settings -> Primary Settings -> General Tab -> Advanced Settings -> Use specified SMTP Server); which would stop all forum mailings, as you requested. This will also disable new registration, new private message, birthday, etc. emails.

Personally, I'd research all of the instances of "$mailer = new mailer();" and edit out the mailer coding for any emails you'd like disabled.

Please note that both of these are completely unsupported, especially editing of UBB.threads stock code.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
This is the second time in 30 days this issue has come up with notifications causing blacklisting.
Maybe it is time to re-evaluate this issue.
Possibly have a primary email account for registrations and a secondary email account for all the other notifications for notifications that cause issues (like a email list server or Third party email account) option.

Last edited by Ruben; 12/23/2017 2:37 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
@Lisa
Have you looked at who you're getting a bounce back from?

Is this from an account who has recently edited their settings for emailed post notifications turned ON?

Is this from a new account?
edit: How are your new account settings -- are they set to default all new posts/Watch Lists are emails?
I believe "user #1" is the template for which all new registration settings are based off.

Are you sure the bounce back was related to a post? Rather, It could have been a PM notification.

Code
UPDATE `ubbt_USER_PROFILE` SET `USER_NOTIFY_ON_PM` = 'yes';

Furthering on what Gizmo posted above;
What was the result of your query when you ran it?

Code
0 row(s) affected by your query.

Did you run your query from the Database Tools > SQL Command screen within UBB.threads, or from an external SQL tool?
Your external tool may require also specifying a database name prior to the table name,

Did you take care in using the correct letter CASE of the tables which are in your database? They are case sensitive.

THIS:
Code
update ubbt_user_profile set user_email_watchlists = 0;

IS NOT THE SAME AS THIS:
Code
UPDATE `ubbt_USER_PROFILE` SET `USER_EMAIL_WATCHLISTS` = '0';

Further reading at:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/196068/re-couple-of-questions#Post196068

---

ubbt_USER_PROFILE.USER_NOTIFY_ON_PM
should be be either yes or no

ubbt_USER_PROFILE.USER_EMAIL_WATCHLISTS
should be either 1 or 0

ubbt_USER_PROFILE.USER_ACCEPT_ADMIN_EMAILS
should be either On or Off

---

@Ruben
Blacklisting is mail provider specific. For example, emails to @aol.com and @hotmail.com addresses may always get sent to the recipient, @gmail.com may put you on to a blacklist. In addition, if you are not clear in your email footer about how to unsubscribe, a email host may automatically stick you on their blacklist, regardless if you only ever send a few items a day/week.

---

Some final words on emails / bounces / blacklisting...
Is the email server your' sending from using any type of security or encoding the messages before being sent? Or are you sending them from a plain text mailer?

How about your mail server; are you the only person sending from it? or are you on a shared mail server IP address, where others from the same hosting company are sending out emails from. It could be that those others are getting your addresses blacklisted as a spammer.

This could also be true for if you're on shared hosting and are placed on a box with 2,000 other accounts. Of which, a few accounts offer adult related content or "medications." You'd be classified in that same set also -- and possibly blacklisted. All because of the few accounts shared on the same box as you. Similar blacklisting could happen if the topics on your forums are of the "sensitive topics" categories.

Read the error message of the bounced items:
If they say, "Message flagged as spam" or "Message temporarily rejected," your message bounced because the email text or links look suspicious, or you could have added a large group of recipients to "CC" or "BCC." Remove links to websites asking for personal information.

If they say, "Recipient server did not accept our requests," its because your sending server isn't able to connect to the email server of your email's recipient. The problem usually goes away quickly without you doing anything. Try sending the email again later. If you keep getting the error, Check if there are any mistakes in the recipient's email address or contact the customer support team of your recipient's email provider. If you are sending to an address for a user who hasnt been active in a number of years, it could be that their email account has since been closed, especially If you got this error while emailing someone using a work, school, or other organization address. Again, if its important to have your message delivered to that person contact the addressee's administrator.

You may also want to have a look at Google's "Postmaster Tools" if you send a large volume of emails to Gmail users.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6227174
and their Bulk Senders Guidelines, which other services have similar guidelines for:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126
Especially read through the "Authenticate your mail" section.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Addict
Addict
Sorry for the delay, I got busy with other things.

While editing the stock code may be unsupported, I've been doing it since 2002. I have a long list of things I change in the code every time I upgrade it, for a variety of reasons. There's all sorts of things the base code still doesn't do after all this time that I need it to do. For example I frequently use the 'remove bounces' admin code that I think I got from one of you. That really should be in the base code set. Also, I don't have the importer redirect table because years ago someone here told me I could remove it, so I also therefore have to remove the code in showflat.inc.php that references that. And so on.

If you're saying there is now an option in here to turn off all follow email, where is that? I can't seem to find it.

I've already disabled birthday alerts - those went as soon as I had the option. All I want it to do is send the new member info and lost password info. Anything else causes me to get my mailer banned because I have so many members. The messages bouncing are definitely notices about forum threads being updated.

I have a dedicated server. I log in directly to the OS to administer it. I'm old school smile. It's not another user triggering this.

It's definitely these forum notifications doing it. The problem definitely happens when people revive an old thread which hasn't been touched in 10 years, the messages go out to all those old and half-gone email addresses, and SLAM I'm hit.

I'll keep testing and watching it.

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
I rebooted my server this evening as I was doing some work on it. After that, I just got an email notification from my BellaOnline forum that one of my editors responded to one of my posts. It definitely is a message about the post I made and her response to it. It's with a nice fresh rebooted server. She posted after the reboot so it wasn't a historic message.

I then ran:

select user_real_email from ubbt7_user_profile where user_email_watchlists <> 0;

It came back with zero rows.

I checked the database for my member record and user_email_watchlists is definitely 0 as in zero.

Any other thoughts why I received that email message? It wasn't with the forum's main account. It was with a separate account I use for posting. It wasn't in a forum that I moderate personally.

BellaOnline Website
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Bella I agree with you 110% on the email stuff. I also run my own server located in my house. There should be a way to manually set ALL email functions on or off overriding anything a user has or had set in the forums in the control panel. As far as editing the code manually to change things I also do the same thing after testing to make sure there are no bugs in the software, there always are. My argument has always been that the site owner should have full control over everything this software does however the consensus is then it would be to complicated for the general user.

One of my major peeves is that every time someone makes a post it is added to their watch list where they can have the stuff emailed to themselves. I edit and remove all the checked stuff in the .php files for this stuff. It should be a CP setting that is be checked by default or even an option to the user.

Veteran
Veteran
Also:

Kill PM and Watchlist Email Notify
update ubbt_USER_PROFILE
set USER_NOTIFY_ON_PM = 'Off', USER_EMAIL_WATCHLISTS = '0'

Addict
Addict
I'm not too worried about private messages - we don't have a problem with those. At least for now. I did set that user_email_watchlists to zero and have verified it is zero. I'll go digging through the code and find a way to simply hard code outgoing forum update emails not to happen.

I agree the 'turn off update emails' should be a global setting. As the owner of the forum, and the person who is going to get slammed and penalized for the emails going out, I should be able to prevent those from sending. It impacts not only my forum email but all of my editors' actual newsletters they try to send. If Gmail or someone triggers a block on us it blocks ALL of our outgoing email which becomes a huge problem.

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by BellaOnline
I agree the 'turn off update emails' should be a global setting. As the owner of the forum, and the person who is going to get slammed and penalized for the emails going out, I should be able to prevent those from sending. It impacts not only my forum email but all of my editors' actual newsletters they try to send. If Gmail or someone triggers a block on us it blocks ALL of our outgoing email which becomes a huge problem.

A user can determine if they want email notifications or not. Its not anything which is forced upon them.

See attached screenshot from Account Preferences screen @
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/editdisplay

If you wanted to block all email from being sent you, you could just rename the /libs/phpmailer directory to something else. But then you'd not be able to do email new user validations, or password resets or any emails at all.

What did not exist in the past, was a notice within the forum emails where the user could click, and be brought in to their account preferences, so they could unsubscribe from having emails sent to them on past posts they've written comments to. At the advice of Google many years ago, that link was added.

Instead of disabling emails of watched posts entirely, maybe what needs to be added is, "Only send 1 notification that there is a new reply. And the user will only get that one notification until they return to the forums." So basically, there may be new replies to the post, but until that user revisits the forums, they will only get the email notification once.

ie; "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."
Attachments
20180124_09-58-26.PNG

Addict
Addict
I did some digging in the code and here is what I am trying now. Any thoughts as to whether this will work? smile

Code

Prevent Any Mailing of Forum Updated Notices

/scripts/addpost.inc.php

Line 696:
			if ($user['USER_EMAIL_WATCHLISTS']) {
				$notify = 1;
			} else {
				$notify = 0;
			}

Change this to:

//Lisa – Force to Never Notify
$notify = 0;

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by BellaOnline
I did some digging in the code and here is what I am trying now. Any thoughts as to whether this will work?

Thats the default setting for if a user has no setting at all. If the user has visited their preferences at least once, they will have their chosen settings used. The item you found will never even be seen by the script.

Look at it as, "If we dont know anything about you, then we will give you this feature."

It is related to if the user never selected anything (or it was not displayed because of your forum configuration) when creating their account.
You can set that up for new user registrations at:
Control Panel > Member Registrations > "Receive Email Notifications for Private Messages"
And set it to "Show & Require"

This will alow new members to set their Email Notifications to how they choose, upon their account creation.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The development focus is engaging your users for repeat traffic, hence users interacting with a thread and it being added to their watchlist.

It seems that you could either:
- Find all instances of the mailer class (its named $mailer), and remove those that you don't wish to send mail.
- Edit out the check box for adding posts to watchlists (the ADDTOFAV language string is in both newpost.tpl and newreply.tpl)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
Isaac -

The problem is with the 15+ years of old members - it really isn't with the new members at all. I'm not concerned about what the new members do or do not do, as they are active accounts. I'm striving to find a way to turn off all emails to all accounts across the board in order to handle those 15 years of ancient accounts which are getting me blocked by mail companies. To that end, I don't want new members to choose to turn on mail because at some point they can turn into those inactive accounts. I want to prevent all members from getting random forum-alert mail.

Gizmo -

I hear you on the intention. I used to make all sorts of coding changes to my forums to aim to boost interaction. I added all sorts of social networking links, prods to join the forum, auto-watch code, etc. etc. But for the past six months I've had an incredibly serious problem with my mail being blocked and that is my #1 focus. I cannot send out any more mail from the forum except what is absolutely necessary. That takes precedence over anything else. It's a shame I can't just do this globally - my goal has been to reduce the number of changes I have to make to the code on each update, not to increase them smile.

In a more holistic sense, I have accepted that traffic to my forums is simply not what it was ten years ago. Ten years ago the forums were bursting at the seams with posts. I would get multiple posts every second from around the world. Now everybody is using Facebook and Twitter to post instead, and it's my Facebook and Twitter pages which are bustling. I still get a ton of readers on the legacy forum content and that is great. They serve as a resource library. And yes, there are a few people who still post in them - but it's not even a hundredth of what it was in its heyday. Rather than be a buggy whip maker who tries to force people to stop using social networking, I am focusing on taking advantage of that social networking traffic to its best effect and also ensuring the forums serve their new purpose as best they can. I can't allow those forums to seriously damage the rest of the website while they serve their new purpose smile.

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
OK I'm looking in /libs/ubbthreads.inc.php at line 1080 where we get into the

function handle_watchlist_notifications

In looking at that code, I don't see that it is even caring if the user has their preferences set to have user_email_watchlists set to zero. It is just mailing to them anyway. Can that be right? I thought the purpose of the field user_email_watchlists in the ubbt_user_profile table was to control if the user received emails from the watchlists or not.

For now I am going to comment out the last line:

$mailer->ubbt_mail($result['USER_REAL_EMAIL']);

and see if that works. If so I'll take more long-term action on this function.

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lisa, I assume you were still sending out Emails through your UBB.threads 7.5.x series forums using phpmailer 2.0.2.

This page shows that you were using UBB.threads 7.5.x at least until July 2017 (6 months ago):
https://web.archive.org/web/20170624233802/http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Maybe that's part of the issue. You were announcing to all the mail servers you mailed to, that you were using a highly unsecure 2007 version of an email script. And you were sending out emails from an insecure HTTP/1.0 email server.

UBB.threads 7.6.0 (your current version, since yesterday) uses PHPMailer 5.2.22. your previous version from 48hrs ago was v2.0.2.
UBB.threads 7.6.1 uses PHPMailer 5.2.25.

iirc, in late 2016, many of major email services refused to accept emails receive d by phpmailers older than at least v5 and not using ssl/tls. again, that's iirc.
EDIT: See my post below this one.

Can I ask why you havent updated your discussion forum to TLS (HTTPS) yet?
This may also be a reason why you are not seeing traffic. Google wont rank it very well when it is not secure, and still accepting user login/password information across http. See attached screenshot.

In addition, your website presents itself as a "LINK FARM." More than a thousand hundred links on your main forum page. See attached screenshot.

---

Back on topic, the code you're looking for regarding watch list emails is in /libs/ubbthreads.inc.php
Search for "_SUBJECT" or "Fill in the subject"

if wnx = "t" for WATCH TOPICS
if wnx = "f" for WATCH FORUMS
if wnx = "u" for WATCH USERS"

Although that section has been completely rewritten for UBB.threads 7.6.2, it is still relevant for the older version of UBB.threads which you are currently running.

Decide which WATCH LIST TYPE you want to prevent your users from ever getting emails from (even if they want to have those emails sent to them), and input an if/than clause which will prevent them from going through if the use's last visit date is greater than "NOW" - "FIVE YEARS AGO" (using UNIX TIME STAMPS). You could even wrap that whole section around your custom time if/than check.
Attachments
20180125_10-05-46.PNG 20180125_10-07-17.PNG

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
a Google search returns multiple results for the main
issue of your concern; your emails being bounced or landing in spam folders.
https://www.google.com/search?q=phpmailer+2.0+spam+folder

Some reasons your mail can get marked spam:

You're sending spam
Your IP, or a block of IPs surrounding your IP has been marked as a spam source on one or more blackhole lists
The content of the email is triggering spam filters.
The recipient has added you to their blacklist
The recipient didn't add you to their whitelist
You're sending a mixed source mail ("From: xyz@example.com", but sending it from "someotherdomain.net")
SPF records for your server are misconfigured/not configured at all
Domain keys are misconfigured/not configured at all
etc...

PHPMailer is a tool. Consider it a hammer. The hammer may have bent the nail, but only because the wielder didn't aim right.

The only way you'll solve this problem is by examining the bounce messages (if any), and whatever showed up in the recipient's mailbox. If they receive the mail, but it goes into a spam folder, then get a copy of the mail and examine its headers. Most spam filters will put their spam score/reasoning in there.
source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6567213/phpmailer-sends-to-junk-email

Addict
Addict
I appreciate the thoughts. The reason we get tagged as a spammer is that I don't mail my newsletters often and I have newsletters with 5000 or more members on them because my sites are quite popular. If a newsletter goes out three years after someone signs up, a lot of people forget they signed up and reported it as spam.

It's not spam going out from our server. It's actual signed-up-for newsletters. It's just that I don't send them often.

The forum traffic drop came long before secure servers were a "thing". It was a holistic change due to the change in how people kept in touch. Our 300+ editors used to live in the forums. Now they all live on Facebook. They find the forums cumbersome and not as intuitive. Life changes.

The forum reminder emails consistently get marked as spam by my users. It's their #1 spam report issue. I will take the steps to make sure they don't get sent any more. Users barely remember they signed up for the forums, never mind wanting to take any steps to shut the mail down.

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
OK in that same section of ubbthreads.inc.php, just a few lines below, it gets to the mailing part and ends with:

$mailer->ubbt_mail($result['USER_REAL_EMAIL']);

I am commenting out that line so it doesn't mail.

My forums used to be incredibly busy between 20 years ago and 10 years ago. Really really busy. There are threads in there with thousands of posts. Those users then over time moved on to use Facebook and Twitter instead, but those posts are still there.

Now let's say in 2018 a spammer comes along. They create a pristine new account and make a good post. They seem to be a good user. Then they go back to that thread from the year 2010 and they make a spam post there. That spam post gets alerted out to 100 different people who haven't used our forum in 10 years. They don't even remember our forum - but they see an income spam post from it. They all mark that email as coming from a spammer. That then blocks our entire system from mailing to Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. It has created an enormous problem for us which absolutely must be ended.

The few people who now actively post in the forums don't care about email. The majority of our forum traffic now is from passive readers of the historical content. I have zero concerns about the forum ever using email. I desperately need email to work properly for our newsletters and other functions.

Hopefully this change will now block watch email from going out to anybody anywhere, period. That's what I need.

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
A separate note, on the sitemap page concept.

Google loves sitemaps. I have numerous sitemaps on all my website properties which are directories of links to get to the pages on my site. Google *adores* these pages and ranks them highly. Google explicitly asks for sitemaps in their indexing area. I get a lot of Google traffic coming in to my sitemap pages and those pages have low bounce rates. So both Google and visitors enjoy sitemaps.

A linkfarm is wholly separate - a link farm links to external pages. Link farms used to be popular - About.com was originally the Mining Company and it was all about links to various external topic area pages. I was their Wine editor both at the Mining Company and then as they transitioned to a content-based site of About.com. So I saw all of that change happen. A main reason Google began penalizing external-link pages is because they wanted to be Link Central and didn't want other companies competing with them smile. So they penalized sites with lots of links to external pages. That's an entirely different action.

So to summarize, internal-linking site map pages are great and rewarded. External-linking link directories are heavily penalized because Google wants to rule the world smile.

BellaOnline Website
Thinking out loud.
Why not just delete the forum email address in cp-primary
Forum email address.
Make it blank Or a bogus/non legit email account from your domain and save.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
I do want people to have that one single message to respond to when they register. I have enough problems with spammers registering smile. That's the only message I want to go out from the system.

Hopefully this fix I made takes care of the watch messages, which I want to block across the board.

BellaOnline Website

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29