Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261632 09/06/2018 11:25 AM
Looking at the 7.6.2 change log talking about phplist brings me back to a issue with older forums everyone has.
All the old bad emails in the db.

It is extremely difficult to have say send email to 40,000 members and get back say 10,000 bounced emails and then try to fat finger them in ubb to edit the preference send me emails to "no".
It would take forever.

While I agree that using a maillist manager is probably best to circumvent getting your primary email blacklisted.
If I export the email list from ubb to a mail list it , still has bad emails.And then export new members on occasion as they register. Over time more emails will become defunct.

There has to be some method to cleanup ubb for non-legit emails.

Does somebody have a method that works?

The only idea I see currently is to export a complete member emal list send it using a mail list manager then get the bounced emails , import that into a net new table in ubb and do a query between the tables to update the user preference to receive emails to no..
I an not sure if this is even doable. I guess it all depends on how to import the bounced list from the mail list manager..

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Im using phpList Email List Manager for cleaning up bad emails. It works great.
1) Export all emails. Only the accounts which allow Admin Emails will be exported.
2) Import in to phpList Manager.
3) Send out a news digest.
anything that gets bounced back will go to your list manager bounce email address, and will be processed by the nightly cron job as bounced/not-found/error/rejected/unsubscribed....etc

And now that data is available to you to run a SQL query on your UBB.threads database.

Further, I've integrated it in to key locations of my UBB.threads installation so users will deal with weekly digest emails as they choose.

This caught and removed many old emails addresses from users who created and used accounts since 2000, and are no longer active. I'm amused by all the @yahoo, @aol, @cs2000, @---.edu/mil/gov addresses that my previous users had nearly 20 years ago.

https://www.phplist.org/manual/ch001_system-overview.xhtml

As a note, you are a webmaster and it is part of your job to know about the tools in your industry. If setting up something like this seems complex or confusing to you, I advise contacting a professional to assist you in getting the job done.
Attachments
20180906_08-33-29.PNG 20180906_08-39-00.PNG 20180906_08-38-41.PNG 20180906_08-54-01.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
very good, so I guess I just need to review the manual and get over the fee involved.

And so it appears what I stated is correct.
If I wish to clean up the ubb db then I must import the bounced data table from say phplist to the ubb db and run a query to update the preferences to not send email.

I don't want to delete the member or ban them I just want the bad email to be excluded from mail outs.

Any chance of something like this incorporated in UBB in future releases like stop forum spam?

And how are you doing digests with phplist?
using rss feeds?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
digests are the last/recent posts. they can be whatever you want. email newsletters. site updates. whatever smile

phplistmanager is free. if you contract someone to do work for you, they probably will charge you. I assume that is the "fee involved" that you mentioned.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe that one of the points made in the EU's GDPR is that users must re-request emails again; so you might actually find it easier to set everyones settings to "off" for accept admin emails, then make a post so that they can re-subscribe (if you care about GDPR anyhow).

We have two threads about email bounces, Email database and Turning off all email notifications which has several SQL Queries.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by isaac
digests are the last/recent posts. they can be whatever you want. email newsletters. site updates. whatever smile

phplistmanager is free. if you contract someone to do work for you, they probably will charge you. I assume that the "fee involved" that you mentioned.
From what I see phplist is only free with the trial version.
After that they charge you per message or subscriber.

We have no time limit on the Trial account. Unless you explicitly ask us to remove it, or when emails sent to you bounce may we decide to remove your trial account. But even when it bounces, we will probably wait some time before actually removing it.

However, the trial account is limited in volume: It allows you to send up to 300 messages per month with a daily limit of 50 messages..
https://www.phplist.com/knowledgebase/trial-account-limits/

Gizmo as I stated before it would be nuts to manually update 14,000 members one at a time.

I think the phplist would be the way to go If I can get the export to ubb. It appears I could use the table in phplist or a csv file.

I just need to signup at least for the free trial. They have a demo login but...

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
From what I see phplist is only free with the trial version.
After that they charge you per message or subscriber.
phplist.com is a paid subscription service
vs
phplist.org is open source php software (phpList is licensed with the AGPL version3+.)
source: https://www.phplist.org/about/

How much does phpList cost?
phpList is free to download and run on your own servers. Running phpList effectively requires an appropriate hosting package and access to a working mail server, capable of delivering your campaigns. Even expert users will need help from time to time: community support is available on this website, including documentation and forums. Professional support is also available from experienced consultants and community members. phpList.com provides free hosted accounts and paid plans.
phplist.org is what I linked to in my OP and every other place I've mentioned it.

phpList software is Open Source: this means you can use it for any purpose and you have the right to study, change and share the software.
phpList can be downloaded at
https://www.phplist.org/download-phplist/

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think the phplist would be the way to go If I can get the export to ubb. It appears I could use the table in phplist or a csv file.

You dont need to dig through the UBB.threads database to export user email addresses. Luckily that feature has been available for nearly 10 years thumbsup

Control Panel / Members / Email Members.

See attached screenshots

edit1:
if you have a really large list of users, you can export them in batches of 10 years, or 5 years or even 1 year groups. It doesnt matter if you overlap a time period and get the user's email address multiple times. phpList is smart enough to notice duplicate email addresses, and will only insert new ones. I was able to split a community consisting of over 30,000 members in to two sets; 20000101-20100101 and 20100101-CURRENT.

edit2: UBBCentral also uses phpLists since probably even before 2010. I'm not sure if Rick, Brooks or SD set it up way back then. I've done a few software version upgrades to it since. But it is the software used here for the sparse community mailings.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/lists/
Attachments
20180906_12-56-18.PNG 20180906_12-56-26.PNG 20180906_12-57-42.PNG

Last edited by isaac; 09/06/2018 4:47 PM.

I understand all that I was just being anal in the fact I would like to fix the ubb database as well.
I know that list managers will auto block bad email address's on subsequent mailings.
So yea just export a email list using the ubb cp to a file then import to say phplist. No brainer..

I just want to capture the bounced emails from phplist and fix ubb at the same time.

As far as phplist.org and phplist.com they are mixed together on the same site, but I will sort it out.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I understand all that I was just being anal in the fact I would like to fix the ubb database as well.
I know that list managers will auto block bad email address's on subsequent mailings.
So yea just export a email list using the ubb cp to a file then import to say phplist. No brainer..

I just want to capture the bounced emails from phplist and fix ubb at the same time.

its all good thumbsup

If you choose to manually process them, I've attached a screenshot of how you could export your blacklists (this is what phpLists calls bounces, refusals, and unsubscribes) from phpList

alternatively --
You could setup a short php program that runs on a weekly cron task to process the "blacklists" back in to UBBT. The documentation for how to do that is in the phpList docs and has been discussed several times in their forums.
Attachments
20180906_14-17-50.PNG

Thank You!

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have a basic standalone script, UBB.threads Bounced Email Processor that I wrote in 2016; I use it to login to my forums IMAP account and process any bounces (either disable UBB.threads emails, or generate a list of bounce-backs), can delete the bounce back messages on the server, can add users to a defined group on UBB.threads, and support sending login information over SSL on a POP3/IMAP server. I only run it as a cron task however, so it automatically processes bounces; but it does have a web interface, however you're at the mercy of the PHP setting "max execution time".

It'd take some playing with the system to get it to run smoothly, especially if its your first time running it and you have a significant amount of messages to go through.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Thanks for the info Giz.
My biggest concern is still the UBB native email address could still be blacklisted.
right now window shopping on what my options are.
I may still go to a third party email address.
At least till the emails are cleaned up.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
blacklisted by a single user or by a single email server? they are not all one system. each server will reject of filter what it chooses and for however long it is programmed to do that for. some servers do it based upon if the majority user reports the email as spam or if the email address being sent to is not existent or if it's receiving too many messages within a short period of time. ex: 20 messages to joe@exanple.com in 1 minute.

and then there are some servers who will never accept anything from certain domains. work in a strickt medical or government office? it's possible that anything from Hotmail or Gmail or your domain name containing a triggered term will be blocked.. noreply@ no-reply@ mailer@ newsletter@ bulk@ info@ hello@ donotreply@ ...etc it may be rejected because your email is too short or doesn't include the expected native language, or the phrases used in the email are confusing.

using an email address that isn't your domain, while delivering content on behalf of the forum domain also has a high chance of getting filtered out. ex: sending example@gmail.com email from forum@example.com domain.

it's also possible that an email server may be down at the time of your first mailing, but will be back up and running be the time you send out something to them next time. ex: failed delivery. please retry or try again later.

you may also have troubled sending because your emails are not sent securely. an invalid SPF or DKIM or DMARC. Or even if the server sending is @hosting.com but you are using @gmail.com as tour forum email address. that is seen as spoofing to the receiving mail server.

there are many more scenarios than just these, for why your email was not delivered to that single email server. and remember, not all email servers are tied together.

note: typed from mobile. please excuse typos and the phone's auto-corrected shenanigans.

Last edited by isaac; 09/07/2018 2:01 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29