Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#261964 01/01/2019 1:43 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I'm afraid I've gotten myself in a pickle. I was running a 7.6.1.1 installation. I was refreshing some directories on my web site by uploading directories from my source copy of directoris to my web server. I accidentally clicked on my ubbthreads source directory and uploaded ALL the files and subdirectories to my server. Needless to say, that has stopped my message board from working. I downloaded and unzipped the 7.6.2 install files and followed the upgrade documentation and uploaded files from the new 7.6.2 install directories to my server. I started the upgrade script.

The Check Files listed changed, new and removed files. I manually removed the files from my server that were in the removed files section. I confirmed that the files in the new files section were on the server. I reuploaded all the files listed in the changed files section. I clicked on Check Files again and the same files were listed in each section. I can't get past the check files screen.

Any suggestions.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
The files in the Changed Files section are:
admin/admin_log.php
admin/changeuser.php
admin/dashboard.php
admin/deletestyle.php
admin/doeditconfig.php
admin/doemailusers.php
admin/doexportemails.php
admin/doprimary.php
admin/dosendemail.php
admin/doupdatestyle.php
admin/edit_user_sub.php
admin/editstyle.php
admin/importstyle2.php
admin/languageeditor2.php
admin/membermanage.php
admin/membersearch.php
admin/primary.php
admin/showuser.php
admin/styles.php
admin/sub_history.php
admin/test_stopforumspam.php
admin/view_subscriptions.php
cache_builders/gallery_island.php
libs/html.inc.php
libs/image.inc.php
libs/mailer.inc.php
libs/mysql.inc.php
libs/ubbthreads.inc.php
libs/ver.inc.php
scripts/addpost.inc.php
scripts/doexpirethreads.inc.php
scripts/domailthread.inc.php
scripts/filemanager.inc.php
scripts/mess_reply.inc.php
scripts/paypal_ipn.inc.php
scripts/sendmessage.inc.php
scripts/showflat.inc.php
scripts/subscription_process.inc.php
scripts/subscriptions.inc.php
scripts/viewmessage.inc.php
styles/admin.css
styles/common.css
templates/default/admin/admin_header.tmpl
templates/default/admin/admin_log.tmpl
templates/default/admin/dashboard.tmpl
templates/default/admin/deleteuser.tmpl
templates/default/admin/doemailusers.tmpl
templates/default/admin/dosendemail.tmpl
templates/default/admin/edit_user_sub.tmpl
templates/default/admin/editcustomisland.tmpl
templates/default/admin/editstyle.tmpl
templates/default/admin/exportemails.tmpl
templates/default/admin/membermanage.tmpl
templates/default/admin/membersearch.tmpl
templates/default/admin/paths_db.tmpl
templates/default/admin/primary.tmpl
templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl
templates/default/admin/stylepreview.tmpl
templates/default/admin/styles.tmpl
templates/default/admin/sub_history.tmpl
templates/default/admin/view_subscriptions.tmpl
templates/default/activetopics.tpl
templates/default/editdisplay.tpl
templates/default/email_html.tpl
templates/default/email_html_generic.tpl
templates/default/email_text.tpl
templates/default/email_text_generic.tpl
templates/default/filemanager.tpl
templates/default/gallery_island.tpl
templates/default/gallerylist.tpl
templates/default/header.tpl
templates/default/island_featured_member.tpl
templates/default/island_public_calendar.tpl
templates/default/island_shoutbox.tpl
templates/default/post_gallery.tpl
templates/default/post_side.tpl
templates/default/post_top.tpl
templates/default/sendprivate.tpl
templates/default/showmembers.tpl
templates/default/showprofile.tpl
templates/default/standard_text_editor.tpl
templates/default/subscription_confirm.tpl
templates/default/subscriptions.tpl
templates/default/viewmessage.tpl

The files in the New Files section are: (they are all there)
libs/fa/version531free
libs/phpmailer/version25256
libs/smarty/plugins/modifier.mb_wordwrap.php
libs/smarty/version3132

The files in the Removed section are: (I deleted these files)
libs/fa/fa-all.css
libs/fa/version504
libs/phpmailer/version2525
libs/smarty/plugins/shared.mb_wordwrap.php
libs/smarty/version3131

Last edited by DennyP; 01/01/2019 2:33 AM.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I did check file permissions.

The upgrade document has a sentence saying to upload files and directories from the unzipped file except for a couple of directories and one php file. Under that sentence is Upload These: followed by a list of files and directories.

There are some files and directories that are not lised under Upload These - like templates/compile and some files in the styles directory. The instructions don't include those files in the list that should be uploaded and they also are not in the list to not be uploaded. Should those be uploaded?

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Originally Posted by DennyP
I was running a 7.6.1.1 installation..
I wasn't doing an installation. I have been on a 7.6.1.1 system running successfully for quite some time. I wanted to clarify that. I wasn't doing an installation.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would copy all files from a hard backup back to the site to restore it to working conditions; as data is stored in a database the above actions shouldn't affect any forum data.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thanks for that reply. If I had a hard backup of the server ubbthreads directory, I would have already tried that. But unfortunately, I don't. Any other suggestions?

I back up my server settings and email. I don't have enough storage to backup my whole server.

Last edited by DennyP; 01/01/2019 2:11 PM.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Other than restoration from a backup, there isn't really a method to restore your configuration, or wrappers configuration (styles), or custom islands from being overwritten.

What all did you replace? The only thing that should really matter is that your includes directory is complete as it includes information for scripts to communicate with the database.

Are you attempting to perform an upgrade to a new version or to one you're already running? The upgrade utility assumes that you are upgrading a fully functioning forum.

Files displayed in the management screen in the upgrade utility can be found in the install folder, I believe it's upgrade_changes.txt, simply remove the offending lines between your target version and existing (the lines have version indications).

UBB.threads is only a few megabytes if you only backup operational files, I'm sure you have enough space for it to be included in your backup plan.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I basically copied the entire ubb source directory (& all subdirectories and files) from the 7.6.1.1 source location to the server. I was uploading some non-ubb related directories and accidentally clicked on the ubb source directory in my FTP program.

I then downloaded the 7.6.2 zip files, unzipped them, and uploaded directories and files as listed in the upgrade docs. I then ran the ugprade script and ran into the Check Files issue.

So to answer your question, I wasn't running a 7.6.2 upgrade on a fully functional forum. It was broken because a lot of files were overwritten from the source of 7.6.1.1.

My 7.6.1.1 database is intact (and backed up nightly). Can I just download that version's install files and do a clean install without initializing the database? Or is there some other suggestion you might have.

Is there a way to verify for certainty what version my system was on before doing the clean install to be sure my database is the correct version for the code?

I probaby do have enough space to backup operational files once I get working again. Is there a list of what those files would be that I need?

I also need to be sure I don't call my local source directory the same as it is called on the server in case the same thing were to occur again.

Thanks again.

Last edited by DennyP; 01/01/2019 2:31 PM.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're now in the waters of a "non standard upgrade", meaning that anything can really happen and support will be marginal at best. In order to upgrade your database you will need to fully process through the upgrade script.

You can utilize the UBB.threads System Requirements Test to report the version number stored in your database.

How I'd tackle it would be to either snag a blank configuration file and populate the UBB.threads database information for your server (which was made specifically for this reason), or restore one from backup so you can connect to the database, then update the configuration options through the Control Panel; again, this is what a full backup of your site will contain...

You'll have to sort through the upgrade error you indicated, where it shows files to be managed which aren't being managed, you'll need to update the "UPGRADE_CHANGES.txt" file in the install/ folder to remove the entries so they're not checked; as previously stated. I would ONLY remove files from here if you're attempting to get the upgrade script to process your CURRENT version; as files were changed in v7.6.2.

I had a complete drive failure at one of my hosts several years back, part of my recovery was to restore files from backup that I had on hand, vs waiting on the host to figure out if they had backups and figure out when to delegate them to me. I fear to know what will happen if something happens to you. I create weekly database backups and a monthly flatfile system backup, and store the resulting files on my DropBox Professional account (off site storage).

At the VERY LEAST I'd advise backing up your /cache_builders/custom and /includes folders, and the /styles/wrappers.php file; but unless you're familiar with advanced recovery I'd advise that you take a backup of all of the files in your UBB.threads install (keep in mind, if you loose your attachments or gallery folders you'll loose a lot of content, if attachments or gallery forums are something that your forum offers).

the first recover mistake made was trying to upgrade a non functional forum from 7.6.1.1 to 7.6.2

If you have nothing as far as a backup of your files. You may try to contact your host and see if they can restore the folders.
They do make backups on some time basis. just for their use and they may offer a solution to reload the folders.

Some of the important folders is as gizmo stated
includes
images
gallery.

If the host can't help you, you may also try to do a fresh install in the same folder but use a net new database just for the install..
Make a backup of the site files first
Then I would just watch the ftp program and overwrite everything from the zip file in the members area ver 7.6.1.1.
Then just edit includes/config.inc.php with the old original good database connection info.
Then you can go over the complete cp and manually add back all of your missing items that you can.

Last edited by Ruben; 01/02/2019 12:29 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I saved both the original source and server directories. I renamed the original database and did a fresh install. It did come up ok.

I will try pointing the config file to the original database and see if I can salvage anything.

I really do appreciate all the assistance.

Last edited by DennyP; 01/02/2019 12:55 PM.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
what ever is missing you may be able to salvage from the files backup you made.

cachebuilders/custom
gallery
includes
etc

But it appears you still have ver 7.6.2 loaded.

Last edited by Ruben; 01/02/2019 1:14 PM.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Ruben - I think you're a genius. I pointed my new 7.6.2 install to the old 7.1.1 sql file and the system came up with what appears to be all users and posts intact. Of course I have to go back through the CP and make some updates, but that is minor. So I think I'm in business. I do have to do more checking to be sure everything is working. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Were there any sql file updates between 7.1.1 and 7.6.2 that might come back to bite me? If so, is there a script to do the update available?

Thanks again.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
I don't think there were any db changes.
But you should have used the 7.6.1.1 file first.
Any way your html includes may be gone which may be in the includes folde(header/footer)r as well as some styles which you may be able to just copy the files back from your backup..(the pointer is in the db, but still needs the file)
Then if you have custom islands they will be in the cachbuilders/custom folder.

Then if you have a gallery forum the will be in the gallery folder..
Some files would have been over written.
But some will not have been.

Anyway when you get it close make another backup of your files.

The posts should all be good they are in the db.
But another place to look is uploaded avatars and images for missing files.

Since I am not sure what you actually did to break the site.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
But you should have used the 7.6.1.1 file first.
The initial problem was that I had overwritten all the server files with the base install files and overwrote anything that was changed since the upgrade of 7.6.1 months ago. I did not have a backup of the server files other than a daily database backup.

I don't use the gallery. I do have some styles to reload - that's a minor task. I do have some other small CP updates. But so far, it's looking a lot better than it was yesterday.

Thanks again.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Great,
You still have the forum closed so I can't see anything

One more thought.
You may or may not need to run the re builders to clean it up.

Last edited by Ruben; 01/02/2019 2:30 PM. Reason: added comment.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Yes, I am keeping it closed until I go through the whole CP and get things back to "normal". Otherwise I'll be swamped with calls and emails about it not looking and operating the same.

Thanks so much.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Since I had a lot of useful help above, I wanted to pay it back with a summary of what I did in case it might help anyone else.

Summary of problem - the server ubbthreads directory was overwritten with a copy of the old install directory in effect wiping out everything on the server. The database was fine and untoucher.

• I downloaded the current install zip file
  • Installed the current version using a different database name
  • Changed the database name in the config.php file in the include directory to point back to the original database
  • Logged in and ran all the rebuild scripts
  • Went though all the contral panel settings to set them to what I had before
  • Reinstalled all the style wrappers

I thank everyone who helped get back in operation with no loss of data or members.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
backup, backup, and backup.

Keep a scheduled backup.
Backup before you make major changes or upgrades.
If it means anything to you now, make a backup of it for for later when you may need it.

If everything is setup and working for you now, it's time to make that backup thumbsup

edit:
NOTES from UBB.threads 7.6.1 Changelog dated 2017-05-02:
[NEW] The current forum config file is now backed up before new changes are saved. Normally there would be no need for this step, though an incorrectly configured server or php.ini setting may cause havoc and corrupt the new config file creation process. A forum owner can now roll back to their backup config file, if the new one was corrupted upon its creation.
SOURCE: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...e-ubb-threads-7-6-1-changelog#Post260196

UBB.threads 7.6.1 also brings with it some much needed updating of the SQL database exporting utility:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...e-ubb-threads-7-6-1-changelog#Post260729

Though, none of that means anything unless you export that data from your server, and store it elsewhere.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
And back up means database and all folders and files.
Most hosts have a back up utility in the control panel such as cpanel. for both.

And remember that after the next post the backup is outdated.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I do use Plesk on my server to back up system files like email and control panel files for the system. But my web site has well over 20,000 files and is too large to back up. I do maintain a source copy of all the pages on my local system. Those copies do get backed up to 2 places (on site and off site) each night. Additionally, there is a real time backup of changes using Carbonite. It was only the ubbthreads directory that isn't in my souce copy locally since it dynamically changes. I wrote a script to back that up nightly.

So now, I think at most my exposure is one day of new/changed posts and subscriber activity. I can live with that.

Thanks again.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (domspeak), 337 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29