Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
This is my first time dealing with this.visual accessibility
Which a few members have issues visually seeing them
meaning common.css stores some opacity items.Excluded from the style editor.
I believe some are set to 0.5 and some to 0.7. applied to different areas of the display.

As well as a lot of other items excluded from the style editor.

I changed them to 1

Could there be some way to make this available in say the style editor.
Or better yet add a common.css editor to the UBB control panel..

It seems to me that common.css is getting larger with each few releases but not incorporated into the style editor..
So it is becoming a catch all file for what is not supported in the style editor

Currently the only way is manually edit the file then save then view the site.
Rinse/repeat.
Then when say v8 comes out and you need to do it all over again if the upgrade requires you to upload a new common.css file.
Then you start all over again.

I don't have the answer to this dilemma.
I am looking for insight to make this easier when upgrading.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
meaning common.css stores some opacity items.Excluded from the style editor.
I believe some are set to 0.5 and some to 0.7. applied to different areas of the display.

As well as a lot of other items excluded from the style editor.

I changed them to 1
There are actually only two items in the common.css file which are user facing.

One is the "op5" shorthand for displaying items in a ghosted presentation (opacity:0.5). Those items are:
1/ showing hidden users to admins"
2/ showing banned users to admins"
3/ showing unapproved posts to admins"
4/ showing forum software debug information in footer"
5/ showing "edited by" text under an edited post"
** This last item is already within the style editor.

The other is "news-image" which is only displayed on the portal, and is displayed on a top-right alignment. It is used to visually "hint" (opacity:0.7) the topic of the post content being displayed within that portal block.
** This item is also already within the style editor.

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_opacity.asp

Could there be some way to make this available in say the style editor.
Or better yet add a common.css editor to the UBB control panel..
common.css is presented before your forum's custom style css in the head tag of your html pages. The reasoning behind this is to allow any customizations within your styles, to be allowed to override anything preset within the common.css file.

The style editor allows you to define more than one single style for your forum at a time. The point of common.css is to define common ground rules for the browser, and as a shiv to define items which older forum styles never had, because those legacy styles were designed for prior versions of UBB.threads, with some still in use from UBBT 7.0 (2006) attempting to be used with UBBT 7.7 (2019). common.css doubles as a shiv for those severely outdated styles.

Each browser has their own settings for what a page should look like. Apple iPhone/iPad have a totally different setting than Firefox and Chrome. Internet Explorer likes to display pages different than either of those.

For example, see how a search input is styled across the browsers.
[Linked Image]
image source: https://bitsofco.de/a-look-at-css-resets-in-2018/

UBB.threads no longer takes a backseat to letting each separate browser determine what your forums should look like. UBB.threads sets the ground rules for a basic common display for your users, across all browsers. Buttons and drop-down menus are styled as you want them to be styled, and not as how Apple is telling you they need to be styled. Borders for all Tables are collapsed and not shown unless you want them to be shown. Styles that you create are now displayed on IE/Firefox/Chrome/Safari, et al., as you have designed them.

The goal of a reset stylesheet is to reduce browser inconsistencies in things like default line heights, margins and font sizes of headings, and so on. The general reasoning behind this was discussed in a May 2007 post, if you're interested. Reset styles quite often appear in CSS frameworks, and the original "meyerweb reset" found its way into Blueprint, among others.

The reset styles given here are intentionally very generic. There isn't any default color or background set for the body element, for example. I don't particularly recommend that you just use this in its unaltered state in your own projects. It should be tweaked, edited, extended, and otherwise tuned to match your specific reset baseline. Fill in your preferred colors for the page, links, and so on.

In other words, this is a starting point, not a self-contained black box of no-touchiness.
http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/

Further reading at http://cssreset.com/what-is-a-css-reset/
and here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11578819/css-reset-what-exactly-does-it-do

It seems to me that common.css is getting larger with each few releases but not incorporated into the style editor..
So it is becoming a catch all file for what is not supported in the style editor
The previous sizes of common.css have maintained at about 14KB from UBBT760 to UBBT772.
It was increased from 14.2KB to 14.9KB for three very simple reasons.
1/ Bug fixes. a) corrected a forum title wrapping bug. b) added a missing list item (ol) when displaying post content. c) lightbox scroll-bar/content layout was fixed for the filemanager (uploader)
2/ Initialize the base css definition for the portal news Content Expander (expand/collapse) and for the and Forum Help (FAQ) page.
3/ The common.css file was reformatted to add spaces after commas, for easier reading by the developer.

UBB.threads 7.7.4 will have the common.css file reduced from 14KB -> 12KB.

Currently the only way is manually edit the file then save then view the site.
Rinse/repeat.
Then when say v8 comes out and you need to do it all over again if the upgrade requires you to upload a new common.css file.
Then you start all over again.

I don't have the answer to this dilemma.
I am looking for insight to make this easier when upgrading.
If you want custom settings defined for each of your styles, use the EXTRA PROPERTIES section within the Style Editor. That is what it is there for.

common.css is presented before your forum's custom style css in the head tag of your html pages. The reasoning behind this is to allow any customizations within your styles, to be allowed to override anything preset within the common.css file.

Last edited by isaac; 08/21/2019 5:04 PM. Reason: added more

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Example "Extra CSS" styling to override on the common.css .op5 class:
Code
.op5{opacity:1;}

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29