Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
The main admin of the site exclusively uses his mobile phone to access the site.
I think it is a non wifi but phone data connection because he lives on a boat.
So his ip is changing constantly even several times in one day
On several occasions his login was blocked:
He waits a while and can login but his ip changes.
for example here is one message
Your IP address is currently listed in the Stop Forum Spam database as a known spammer/spambot, and as such your account cannot be registered. To proceed you'll need to request a removal to clear yourself from their database.login
His IP at the time was
2600:387:8:f::1c
ISP: AT&T Wireless

But visiting sfs there are several ip matches but none are him. If I try the removal it rejects the request and states that it is not in the database.
This has happened three times this month alone.
Yesterday it was ip 2600:387:8:5::c5 that was blocked.

Any suggestions on tracking this down? is there someplace UBB keeps this info for a while?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
This would be an issue for Stop Forum Spam support. UBB.threads fetches a live request for every login to their database, if it finds a value it'll return it to the login page of UBB.threads; we cache nothing.

AFAIK AT&T Wireless provides a dynamic (ever changing) IP address; a user likely did something that got them added to the database, and it just cycles through. IIRC the removal procedure requires you to be connecting from the offending address.

FYI this is common for VPN users who hide behind servers; my own VPN (IPVanish) is often times present in their database.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
So what you are saying is as soon as he gets the login error,as quickly as possible before his ip changes is to submit a removal?
That may be difficult to do for him now he is leaving for open water to Hawaii.

This sounds like why I had no success doing it for him,Correct?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
He's a unique case, but only the offending address can request removal, and again this is a Stop Forum Spam issue... We simply send a request to see if the IP address is in their database.

It looks like you guys will either need to disable SFS until he's on a reliable connection, find him a VPN with a static IP address, or figure something out other than a device with a dynamic IP address.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Just to be clear.AFAYK
IPV6 are not a issue especially abbreviated ones?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
IPV6 are not a issue especially abbreviated ones?
"short" IPv6 are still valid IPv6 addresses, and the checks are still done on the Stop Forum Spam side of things. We simply look for a "yes" or "no" from the request.

Example Request to SFS
Example Response from SFS:
Code
<response success="true">
	<type>ip</type>
	<appears>yes</appears>
	<lastseen>2019-12-06 20:16:59</lastseen>
	<frequency>12</frequency>
</response>

1 member likes this: isaac
OTAY.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
So what you are saying is as soon as he gets the login error,as quickly as possible before his ip changes is to submit a removal?

He may want to reduce the SFS level or disable it if he is constantly gaining new IP addresses from a global satellite internet receiver during his travels. I dont know how global satellite internet receivers distribute/rotate/expire IP addresses, as I only have ever used the more common wireless network connections such as wifi and cellular from the major providers within north america.

You have four choices; A) Manual (initial setting), B) Semi-Auto, C) Auto with message to registrant, and D) Auto with silent Fail. Each have their pros and cons.

StopForumSpam Protection Levels available within UBB.threads:
  • Manual - This allows the Admin to easily check new registrations with one click
  • Semi-Auto - This automatically checks new registrations in member management, but might delay, if there are timeouts with StopForumSpam
  • Auto with Message - Adds to Semi-Auto and gives a new registrant a message that they were blocked and how to remedy the situation
  • Auto with Silent Fail - Does what Auto with Message does, but fails silently, which might fool spammers into thinking they signed up.

At the end of the day, all of this may be moot if he will have zero access while in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. These suggestions and the ones Gizmo has provided are common for admins who are at free hotspot zones such as hotels, train stations, coffee shops, or using a VPN providing IP address groups which are IPs also used by spammers and other abuser types. Again though, look at adjusting your SFS level if your current SFS level is causing issue for you.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
1 member likes this: Gizmo
Veteran
Veteran
You can get something cheap like a Raspberry Pi and setup your own VPN and use some free IP service for a non static IP as well all in the VPN. There are tons of videos on YouTube to tell you how to do all this step by step.

These things are very small, cheap, and require pretty much no hands on after all setup and working. Plug it in and hook a network cable to it and you're all done....

Originally Posted by JAISP
You can get something cheap like a Raspberry Pi and setup your own VPN and use some free IP service for a non static IP as well all in the VPN. There are tons of videos on YouTube to tell you how to do all this step by step.

These things are very small, cheap, and require pretty much no hands on after all setup and working. Plug it in and hook a network cable to it and you're all done....
Okay but how the hell do you get a rasberryPI to work with a cellular data connection.

Myself I use ipvanish although not free it has what I need for a wired or wifi connection..

But when all you have is a cell phone?????

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
But when all you have is a cell phone?????
A regular consumer cell phone?
https://www.att.com/buy/phones/
or
A global satellite device?
https://www.business.att.com/products/satellite-connectivity.html

As a reminder, you did say this:

A regular consumer-level cell phone connection is not going be much help when you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, between North America west coastline and the Island of Hawaii.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Yes I know ,he will be out for three weeks so for now not much I can help him with till he can contact me again.
But still researching viable options for him till he is connected again

With the corona virus I teased him he may become homeless. They may not let him dock or return to CA.

Last edited by Ruben; 03/30/2020 3:05 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
This will give you step by step instructions that anyone can do to create a VPN in your home and use like the big boys pay VPN services.

I have seen several videos like this online. This is a long video as people loose their attention span after 5 minutes but this will explain everything and how to do it. Anyone can do this.

Great article and I am a avid fan of raspberry.
But again with no connection to the internet except for a cell phone how do you make that work?
I don't see it in the video.
Looks like you need to connect to a home network to start which does not exist for the user.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe when he gets back. It's like going on a trip and never packing your luggage. Plan ahead.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, domspeak), 353 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29