Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#263773 04/22/2020 1:42 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I have a suggestion let see if you agree.

When members of our forum sends a PM to another member
The receiver (if correct box is checked/ticked) will get notified with an email.

Hello XXXXX,

WWWWW has just sent you a private message at Britbike forum.

You can reply to this message by visiting:
http://www.BBBBB.com/BBBBB/BBBB/BBB/BBBBB/message/BBBB/gonew/1

The private message contents are shown below:
Re: Topic [by WWWWW]
Bla.. bla.. bla..!
Bla.. bla.. bla..!
Bla.. bla.. bla..!
Bla.. bla.. bla..!
Bla.. bla.. bla..!

Often I find that the PM receiver just answer the email notification cause it contains the full message. They just don't understand that they should login and answer the pm.
The answer goes to the email address that the admin (me) is using so I end up with these replies and feel I must sent another notification and explain what has happened.
such as this

Hi,

You sent this email to wrong receiver which is forum@britbike.com.
You answered an email notification that you have received a PM (private message) on BritBike forum that was sent out as a reminder. You need to login and open up the PM and then answer the PM so that the right sender can receive your reply.

Ride safe

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum admin

My suggestion is that the email notification contains ONLY info that the receiver have received a PM and should login and read the PM.

Doing that the sender can see that the receiver has opened/read the PM. As it is now the receiver can just read the email and the sender have no clue that the receiver has read it.

Does it make any sence. I hope so and in the future I would not be able to read the replies that are not obviasly for me to read.

thanks for your attention.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are several options, here are the first two off the top of my head:

OPTION #1
Setup your forum so the mailer is "noreply@YOURFORUM.COM" and on your server, reject all mail from that email address.

OPTION #2
You can modify the footer language text used in your email mailer language strings from "This email was auto-generated. Please do not reply." to whatever language you think is best to use with your forum members.

Control Panel > Languages > Search / Edit Language Strings
>> Choose Specific Language File: mailer.php
or
>> Search String: "This email was auto-generated. Please do not reply."
or
MANUALY EDIT templates/english/mailer.php
Code
$ubbt_lang['EMAIL_FOOTER_TEXT'] = "This email was auto-generated. Please do not reply.<br>This email was sent by %%HOMEPAGE_TITLE%% (%%HOMEPAGE_URL%%).<br><br>Manage your email preferences:<br>%%FULL_URL%%/ubbthreads.php?ubb=editdisplay<br><br>Update your forum profile:<br>%%FULL_URL%%/ubbthreads.php?ubb=editbasic<br><br>";
$ubbt_lang['EMAIL_FOOTER_HTML'] = "This email was auto-generated. Please do not reply.<br>This email was sent by <a href=\"%%HOMEPAGE_URL%%\">%%HOMEPAGE_TITLE%%</a>.<br>To control which emails we send you, <a href=\"%%FULL_URL%%/ubbthreads.php?ubb=editdisplay\">update your email preferences</a>.";

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
OPTION #3
Just ignore the few random emails that your users send to your forum contact email address. If they question why their emails are not being converted to forum posts, remind that your forum would have no way to know what email should be attached to what post, and that posting via mail could be a security nightmare for when fraudulent emails arrive and get added to random posts in member only, private or secure, and staff forums.

I think this was already brought up and answered a little while ago. I'll search for the post and edit my reply here when I find it.

EDIT: I know it was previously discussed, and the same answers were given. I've already spent several minutes looking for it, and am done trying to locate it. Its midnight here, and this has already been a long day for me. Feel free to search the forums for further discussion if you need it laugh

Others will almost definitely post their ideas as well

Last edited by isaac; 04/22/2020 2:31 AM.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac its morning here now and I'll be gone for the day. Will look here later again.
My intentionen was to change the email message so it does not include the actual PM but says that there is a message to view in the PM section.
It was a suggestion for version 7.7.5, but if we could fix it sooner it would be perfect.

Later,
cheers

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Go ahead and edit the email template as you need to, by directly modifying the template text file.

Control Panel > Templates > Choose Template: email_html.tpl
or
It is located/named:
/templates/default/email_html.tpl

You'd probably edit the {if $posts}{/if} group. But that would also affect people forwarding posts and mailing private posts (PM/PT) to each other. It also effect when someone reports a post. Basically, it affects any type of post that goes through email.

Last edited by isaac; 04/22/2020 2:42 AM.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac,

Originally Posted by isaac
You'd probably edit the {if $posts}{/if} group. But that would also affect people forwarding posts and mailing private posts (PM/PT) to each other. It also effect when someone reports a post. Basically, it affects any type of post that goes through email.

If so then I'll not edit the template. for a couple reasons, I have not the knowledge how much and what it affects. The second is that I don't want to edit
the scripts as UBBthreads don't support it.

I'll repeat my feedback.
When a PM is created an email noification is sent to the receiver and it contains the entire PM message.
When the receiver reads the email with the PM then the sender will not know about it unless the receiver actually login and fill in the body/form on the forum.
(In the future I would like to arrange so that the receiver must login to read the PM message, it will keep the traffic up)
Today If the receiver just answer the email then the admin will get the reply.
This is not optimal and the admin will end up reading other peoples private messages. Not very good as I see it.

My intention is just to alert this to the developer and/or owner of UBBThreads.

If it could be fixed within coming upgrades then it is very good, if not then at least I have said what I feel about it.

Cheers & Thanks

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
In addition to option #2 I would add a auto respond that states that the email is not monitored nor replied to.
Also edit the contact us email to be something you do read.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
1 member likes this: Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
In addition to the notice that is already displayed within the footer of all outgoing emails ("This email was auto-generated. Please do not reply."), This simple and straight forward solution will add another notice to the top, just above the salutation.

>> Choose Specific Language File: mailer.php
For the "EMAIL_SALUTE" field, REPLACE WITH
Code
<center>**PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS NOT MONITORED**</center><br><br>Hello %%USERNAME%%,

or

>> Search String: "Hello %%USERNAME%%,"
REPLACE WITH
Code
<center>**PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS NOT MONITORED**</center><br><br>Hello %%USERNAME%%,

or

MANUALLY EDIT templates/english/mailer.php
FIND
Code
$ubbt_lang['EMAIL_SALUTE'] = "Hello %%USERNAME%%,";

REPLACE WITH
Code
$ubbt_lang['EMAIL_SALUTE'] = "<center>**PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS NOT MONITORED**</center><br><br>Hello %%USERNAME%%,";

The result will be:
[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Gizmo
Old Hand
Old Hand
Isaac,

I added per your instruction
and I think it made a major difference, At least in theory.
I tested to send a PM to my other account and when reading the email it looked clear to me as email receiver that I should click on the link rather replying to the email.

Thanks!!!

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Old Hand
Old Hand
PS,

I still believe that the PM email notification should only mention that you "the receiver" have a PM to read on the forum and the email should not include the actual PM text.
If it worked as my suggestion the sender would actually know that the receiver has opened the PM message.
Second it drives traffic to the forum.

I understand that UBB is not programmed to do this now so I just give this as feedback on how the forum PM works for the sender.

Last edited by Morgan; 05/04/2020 3:23 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps make it a CP option in the future.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by JAISP
Perhaps make it a CP option in the future.
a very good suggestion. I would like that but we'll see what the future has for us.

Feedback on my own update with the email text **PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS NOT MONITORED**

It just took a couple hours before the first email answer came despite the **PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IT IS NOT MONITORED** note. It was an american who speaks English as first language. Obviously he did not take the time to read/understand that sentence.
So I had to inform him that he should answer the PM instead on the forum.
I'm a bit tired of that "bug" as I see it.

My big question now.. is it possible to edit the mailer.php file so that the message is not included???

I'm thinking that PM's and posts/reply email notifications should not contain the actual message. I think that the topic header and who its from and the URL is fine but not the entire message

I have copied some of the mailer.php variables and ask now, Could I empty any of these in order to get rid if the body PM /post/reply message so that
the email receiver must click on the link supplied in order to be able to read the message or thread?
Just asking.. Cheers smile

WNT_CONTENT
WNP_CONTENT
WNX_CONTENT
WNX_CONTENT1_TEXT
WNX_CONTENT1_HTML
PMN_CONTENT
PMN_CONTENT1_TEXT
PMN_CONTENT1_HTML
PMN_CONTENT2_TEXT
PMN_CONTENT2_HTML
DEE_SUBJECT
DEE_CONTENT
DSE_SUBJECT
DSE_CONTENT
DMT_SUBJECT
DMT_CONTENT
DMT_CONTENT1_TEXT
DMT_CONTENT1_HTML
DMT_CONTENT2
DMP_SUBJECT
DMP_CONTENT

Last edited by Morgan; 05/04/2020 11:58 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
Veteran
Veteran
It can be modded but that's not a topic to be discussed here. I would suggest another website https://www.ubbdev.com for those discussions. My boards are heavily modded and include massive mods that would never be supported by UBB, most of which I designed and wrote myself.

I'm American so I will start the next comments saying that right upfront. I find Americans are the most problem sum for following instructions or even reading anything of that nature yet alone caring to.

Last edited by JAISP; 05/05/2020 8:31 AM.
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hi I have noticed that when we get email notifications the email ends with these lines

Please do not reply directly to this email
Preferences · Update profile
Sent by UBBCentral at https://www.ubbcentral.com
[Linked Image]

I have mentioned before that our members often do just that when they get a PM notification email.
They answer direct in the email and it goes to me the admin and I have to reply directing them to the PM.

I personally just want the email notification to include "You got a PM click on the link to go to your PM" however I remember you said
the email must remain as is so now here is my new question -

Is it possible to make so that these notification email comes from NO-REPLY@forum.com so that it alerts the replier.
Above footer information don't seems to be good enough.

Thanks

PS I do think my first suggestion is best as it drives traffic to the forum. wink
cheers

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
I know you have asked this before with no satisfactory answer.
But in your case if it is a issue then:
I would do as I said before setup a email address donotreply@yourdomain.com to use as the sending address.
Setup a auto responder for donotreply@yourdomain.com that explains that the email is not monitored, read the email again or whatever.
Make sure that the contact us goes to a valid email address you do monitor.
Then setup a rule that sends the replies to trash or delete.
Most hosting email accounts will let you do this in some fashion or another.

Blue Man Group
Old Hand
Old Hand
Ruben, thanks for your reply
I get maybe 5-7 of these replies per week.
Our members are often old people, it may be a factor.
I could ignore it but these replies are often important so I reply to all with instructions to login and answer the pm instead.
I will look into your suggestion and see if it will be possible

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
I found this tidbit to help if you have cpanel.
https://d9clients.com/knowledgebase...el.html?action=displayarticle&id=331
Probably not what you want but it is a starting point,

Blue Man Group
Old Hand
Old Hand
Thanks I can do that as a last option.
Thanks again

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
1. create a feedback page. on that page, have some information about contacting you via a separate email address address for contacting you. "contactus@EXAMPLE.com"

2. in the forum settings, choose Contact Link Type as "Contact URL" which points to that page described in step 1.

3. change the forum email to no-reply@EXAMPLE.com. setup that email address to bounce back anything it receives.

Now anything that is sent from the forum will be returned. This is basically a "do not reply directly to this email. it is not monitored."

Keep using your forum user profile account email address as you've always used. if you send anything to a user via the "Send Email" in the Control Panel, you should include the email which address which you want the recipient to reply to, since obviously they are getting an email sent from a send-only account (no-reply@EXAMPLE.com)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29