Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
D Offline
oh, hello smile

my oldest baby dates back to the late 90s, and is ready for new life! I was recently forced to change hosts, and I downloaded a copy of my (disgustingly large) database. I would love some support in getting running once more.

What are my next steps? Do I purchase the license first, upload the latest version of the software, then purchase the added service for installation / import help...?

best,
Rob

(just for kicks, I was also this guy: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/327/drkknght !)

Last edited by drkknght00; 10/05/2020 5:25 PM.
You will need to purchase a membership that gives you access to the current software for one year.
If you have your old license tied to your membership then renewal is cheaper.
Just goto the member area and link you old license.
It will only show versions up to when you membership expired.

I guess the first question that will be asked is what flavor and version will you be upgrading from.
It makes a difference if you are upgrading from Classic , WWWthreads or UBBthreads
Then the second will be how big is the backup.
Files=
database=
In any case if the upgrading is to be done online the backup files will need to be uploaded to the server as well as the database

Note: classic does not use a database.

You can have UBB do the upgrade as well as some users here. Of course there is a fee.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/06/2020 3:32 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
D
D Offline
thanks, ruben

i will purchase a new membership, as i apparently never linked it. i can do that now to get the party started.

i was running on ubb.threads -- i believe in this 6's, but i don't recall offhand. the database is 1.5gb.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There are several helpful guides at UBBWiki. These include an Upgrade Guide which covers upgrading within UBB.threads v7 and upgrading/importing from UBB.Classic v6.7.x and UBB.Threads v6.5.x.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
thanks gizmo (hi gizmo!!)

i have not done this in forever smile feels just like old times! ...except slower!!

i purchased a license and downloaded the latest version. i have uploaded the files to my host. i have imported my beastly db. i am running through set up!! i appear to be at the last step, but i am getting "Createtable.php has already been run. Your tables already exist. To continue the installation, remove the tables and then refresh this page."

doing some quick triage now.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Are you trying to do a new install over an existing database? If so, you're generally supposed to do an upgrade unless you're migrating from UBB.Classic 6 or UBB.threads 6, in which case you have to be using either a different database or different table prefix (as compared to your old database) if your host limits your amount of databases.

For migrations you'd run the v7 installer (/install/install.php) in a different database or using a separate prefix as far as the createtable.php step brings you, then you'll have to run the import scripts (do not make an admin user or populate the tables).

For an upgrade within v7 you'd run the upgrade utility (/install/upgrade.php).

Could you outline what you're attempting to do, any steps you've taken, and what versions are involved?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
1 member likes this: isaac
D
D Offline
ahh, i see.

yeah, i guess i'm trying too many things at once. i had an earlier version of ubb.threads running on an old host. i was attempting to do a clean install of ubb.threads on my new host with my old db.

to reset where i am now, should i first update the config.php file with a different table prefix, and try again?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could you outline what you're attempting to do, any steps you've taken, and what versions are involved?
Was the old version within the v7 series?

D
D Offline
yessir - 7.2

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Then simply run /install/upgrade.php, it'll get you to the latest version.

This is covered on the Upgrade Guide section "Upgrading within UBB.threads v7"

1 member likes this: drkknght00
Just as a fyi.
You will need to import your backup database and upload you backup files first.
Then edit your includes/config.inc.php file to make the forum run correctly.
It will be database location user name and password then all the paths.
Then check the forum to see it is working correctly.

Then you follow the guide to upload the new version files.
Over writing the existing ones but avoiding specific files per the guide.
Then when ready run install/upgrade.php not install/install.php.
Follow the prompts closely.

You can follow the UBBwiki or here at https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
thanks friends -- sorry for radio silence, there were some import errors on the database; it borked at like 98%. i have a full 100% import now, so i can try again this evening smile

2 members like this: isaac, Gizmo
It could be your database collation.
If your UBB version was using latin1_swedish_ci and your new server is utf8.
Otherwise known as iso-8859

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
sorry, i meant the import of the db file into phpmyadmin. it was too hearty a beast! buuuut, just took a look, and it's all there now!

going to begin the ^^ operation procedures, and see if we can get the boards'a'goin smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Wow, you imported a large db over PHPMyAdmin? I wouldn't do that any larger than a GB as you could run into timeout issues with a large transaction (and really wouldn't notice missing content unless its all fresh in your mind, and even then)... Generally with large DBs I'd advise using the command line interface to fully process the queries.

D
D Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wow, you imported a large db over PHPMyAdmin? I wouldn't do that any larger than a GB as you could run into timeout issues with a large transaction (and really wouldn't notice missing content unless its all fresh in your mind, and even then)... Generally with large DBs I'd advise using the command line interface to fully process the queries.

aye, that is what happened. phpmyadmin kept timing out. i had to work with my host to do the command line method (i did not yet have direct access)

but now.... wahoo! i've got a working forum smile

its hideous -- i must have messed up the templates somewhere (and can't seem to reset the styles yet)

but... rkmbs.com is alive!!!

Last edited by drkknght00; 10/08/2020 7:37 PM.
1 member likes this: Gizmo
Most hosts limit the file size to 50MIB. using phpmyadmin

Looks like you have it up and running as 7.7.4 now.

For future rote in case you do not have terminal access I have used SQLDumpSplitter.
You set the max file size for your files.
It then reads the sql dump file and breaks it into several smaller files according to the specified size.
Then you import them in order with phpmyadmin.

It works quite well.

Last edited by Ruben; 10/09/2020 1:47 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29