Print Thread
Hop To
#264555 01/03/2021 4:07 PM
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
I'm running a web board on UBB 7.5.7.

I'm having trouble with a troll(s), possibly using multiple accounts.

Is it possible for me see what their IP address was at the time of their latest post AND what their IP address was when they created their account?

If so, can I see the IP address for each post in their history?

Thanks for any info.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The users current IP Address is stored with each new post (in more up to date versions youc an hover over the post time if your group has permission to see them, I believe in v7.5.x your group will just see the address in the author-info pane); signup/last login IPs are stored within the member management system, just view a users profile through the control panel.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
Stranger
Stranger
T Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
signup/last login IPs are stored within the member management system, just view a users profile through the control panel.

Is the signup login IP and the last login IP, 1 value ( just the last login ) or can I get both the sign up and last login IP?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Registration IP, Last Post IP, and Last Login IP are all stored separately in the control panel.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Also the who is online page will show ip if you allow "Can see extra user info" in site permissions for your group.

As a extra tidbit you may want to use cloudflare to control visitors.
It is free to a point.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
As a extra tidbit you may want to use cloudflare to control visitors.
It is free to a point.
Support for CloudFlare is limited at best in v7.5.7; it's from 2010, you can't expect it to even function with a modern build of PHP (I believe that it won't even support PHP5.6, which is the final release of the PHP5 channel).

HTTPs support is also limited as several strings in v7.5.7 are hard-coded for HTTP, additionally there is no support for Stop Forum Spam or support to store IPv6 addresses (read IPv6 addresses will be truncated if stored at all).

We're currently working on PHP8 support and are planning to completely drop support for PHP5 at some point in the near future (PHP7 has been around since 2015 and should be our new minimum in the future; PHP5 reached End of Life in 2018).

From support at cloudflare

Cloudflare is not a hosting provider. Cloudflare is designed for easy setup. Anyone with a website and their own domain can use Cloudflare regardless of their platform choice. Cloudflare doesn't require additional hardware, software, or changes to your code.Oct 9, 2020

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/205177068-How-does-Cloudflare-work-

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I failed to see what you're trying to share with me... Yes CloudFlare will operate as a front end on outdated versions, but UBB.threads versions prior to 7.6.1 will display the user IP address as the CloudFlare proxy address as opposed to the user's actual IP address which will result in all users having the same IP address... I know this for certain as I'm the one who built the feature into UBB.threads.

You can go ahead and take a gander at /libs/fetch_ip.inc.php, If you do not have one then UBB.threads will not read the pass-through IP address (user actual) and will instead log the proxy/relay address for all user activity.

He started with concerns on trolls.
He could use it as a tool to block the trolls , ddos attacks and possibly speed up his site.

I did mention it was a extra tidbit.for controlling visitors not finding them
Did you not read my complete statement?

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
CloudFlare still isn't supported on his version; if he were to configure CloudFlare using a version that doesn't have the correct configuration to read the pass-through IP address from CloudFlare will result in every user who makes any post or logs in to his forums to have the same IP address (which will be the CloudFlare proxy)... Something that I would highly advise against.

If wanting to filter trolls by utilizing the built in Stop Forum Spam feature or using a service such as CloudFlare he will need to upgrade to a modern version of UBB.threads as these are all modern features that are not supported on his 10 year old version, as mentioned previously.

Veteran
Veteran
You can run a SQL Command and see every IP address that user ever posted with.

Go to your site's control panel and select "Database Tools" then the tab "SQL Command". In "Query" box put in the command below:

Code
select distinct(POST_POSTER_IP) from ubbt_POSTS where USER_ID='3'

As where "3" is that would be the users identification number, yours is most likely 2.

1 member likes this: Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also a few things to be aware of -
Proper IPv6 support in UBB.threads was first introduced in version 7.6.0. If you are running an older version, features such as IP address lookup, searches, logging will be incomplete or broken. Only the first few digits of the IP address will be stored. If you are on an older hosting server and/or obsolete version of PHP, you might only be collecting IPv4 data -- which may be collecting proxy addresses, your webhost IP addresses, IPv4 routing server addresses, or nothing at all.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
1 member likes this: Gizmo
Veteran
Veteran
I have seen only twice where someone has used an IPv6 address in any of my sites.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As long as you're running on a version which supports the logging of IPv6 addresses (v7.6+) you can check the database for a snapshot of how many users have logged in from unique IPv6 addresses with the following queries.

You can get a snapshot of how many posts are made by unique IPv6 users by running:
SQL Query
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT `POST_POSTER_IP`) FROM `ubbt_POSTS` WHERE `POST_POSTER_IP` LIKE '%:%'

Likewise you can see who has registered from an IPv6 address with:
SQL Query
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT `USER_REGISTRATION_IP`) FROM `ubbt_USERS` WHERE `USER_REGISTRATION_IP` LIKE '%:%'

Or check the user User Last Login IP:
SQL Query
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT `USER_LAST_IP`) FROM `ubbt_USER_DATA` WHERE `USER_LAST_IP` LIKE '%:%'

1 member likes this: isaac

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29