Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm seeing this error when trying to load faq.php.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting end of file in /usr/local/www/html/ubbthreads/languages/english/faq.php on line 46

I say strange, because this is line 46:

<li>Make sure you are entering your password correctly. Passwords are case-sensitive.</li>

Version, etc. is in my sig.

Last edited by Baldeagle; 04/06/2021 1:19 AM.

The Stovebolt Geek
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Server Information
UBB.threads Version 7.7.5
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
Well it may not answer the question of why.
But have you tried going to the member area and grab a copy of 7.7.4 and uploading faq.php?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It sounds like one of your variables in the faq.php files have text outside of the standard variable definition.

Properly formatted:
Code
$ubbt_lang['B_POLL'] = "Putting a poll in your post is simple.";

Messed up would be something like:
Code
$ubbt_lang['B_POLL'] = "Putting a poll in" your post is simple.";
or
Code
$ubbt_lang['B_POLL'] = "Putting a poll in"; your post is simple.";

The fix, in this case, would be to simply restore your faq.php file in the languages/english/ folder from the UBB.threads install archive; any customization you've made to this file will need to be reapplied.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ruben
Well it may not answer the question of why.
But have you tried going to the member area and grab a copy of 7.7.4 and uploading faq.php?
I have not. I likely still have a copy of the downloaded files, so I could do a compare to see if there's a difference. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Update: I ran a diff on the site file and the backup, and they were different. So, I backed up the site file and then overwrote it with the backup file. That fixed the problem.

Here's the diff, if anyone wants to know. Apparently the list items got separated from the list somehow.

Code
diff faq.php /usr/local/www/html/ubbthreads/languages/english/faq.php 
45c45
< $ubbt_lang['B_HELP'] = "This checklist may help you successfully log in:<ol>
---
> $ubbt_lang['B_HELP'] = "This checklist may help you successfully log in:<ol><li>Make sure you are entering your password correctly. Passwords are case-sensitive.</li><li>Ensure that your browser supports cookies; if so, check the security level you are using. High levels of security restriction in certain browsers will automatically reject cookies. In order to use the key features of these forums, you'll need to accept cookies. The maker of your browser can help you with additional problems you may have with your cookie settings.</li><li>Completely log out by hitting the Log Out link in the upper right-hand corner of the page, and then log back in again.</li><li>After logging in, you may have to hit the Reload or Refresh button on your browser to expedite the authentication.</li><li>If these steps don't work you can try purging your cookies for this site using the <a href=\"%%BASE_URL%%/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mycookies\">My Cookies</a> tool.</li><li>If you continue to have problems, go to the Log In page and click \"{$ubbt_lang['FORGOTTEN']}\". Enter your real email address into the Email Address field and a temporary password will be emailed to the email address used for the account setup.</li></ol>";
80c80
< $ubbt_lang['B_MISTAKE'] = "Users can edit their own posts up to %%MAX_EDIT_TIME%% minutes after they are made. Where the change is substantial, it is courteous mark the post as edited so as to alert readers to the changed content. For cosmetic changes, it's better not to do so.";
---
> $ubbt_lang['B_MISTAKE'] = "Users can edit their own posts up to %%MAX_EDIT_TIME%% minutes after they are made. Where the change is substantial, it is courteous mark the post as edited so as to alert readers to the changed content. For cosmetic changes, it's better not to do so.";
124c124
< $ubbt_lang['B_MOREPOSTS'] = "You can change the number of posts displayed on each page by editing your display preferences. You can set this to anything between 1 and 99 posts per page. By default, this is set to %%TOPICS_PER_PAGE%% posts per page.";
---
> $ubbt_lang['B_MOREPOSTS'] = "You can change the number of posts displayed on each page by editing your display preferences. You can set this to anything between 1 and 99 posts per page. By default, this is set to %%TOPICS_PER_PAGE%% posts per page.";

Last edited by Baldeagle; 04/07/2021 2:11 PM.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
You should still have access in the members area for UBBThreads 7.7.4

Blue Man Group
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ruben
You should still have access in the members area for UBBThreads 7.7.4
I do, but I unzip the builds into folders in my home directory, so it's easier to grab one that's already on the server. Your suggestion was perfect. Replacing the file solved the problem.

The Stovebolt Geek

Server Information
Release 20201027
Server OS Linux
Server Load 0.16
Web Server Apache/2.4.6
PHP Version 7.4.33
MYSQL Version 5.7.43
Database Size 1.85 GB
I have found that when you get those types of php errors.
Just because it says say line 46 it could be line 45 or 47.
It all has to do with where the statement really ends.

Glad you got it working.
Hopefully you did not have some customization to the faq file.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (domspeak), 337 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29