Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#265095 11/04/2021 10:50 AM
I
I Offline
Greetings . . .

Looking for a rough cut strategy on getting an installation current on maintenance. We are running version 7.5.8 with php 5.5.22 in front of MySQL 5.6.50-90.

The changelog indicates that version 7.7.5 is compatible/tested with php 5.4 – 7.4. Is there a preferred php version to use during the upgrade process? To run steady state?

Is it advisable to jump from 7.5.8 to 7.7.5 directly or should an intermediate step be taken during the outage window? If so what version would we target as a stepping stone?

MySQL 5.6 is EOL. Is there a preferred version to target? Does it need to be in place prior to upgrading UBB?

Thanks in advance.

Requirements are on the home page
PHP 5.4 or newer
PHP 7.4 recommended
MySQL 5.5 or newer
MariaDB also compatible

Follow the upgrade steps as per:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_upgrade7.php
Including the two css files mentioned in the notes.
Pay attention to the screen prompts especially on the language files.

The upgrade has never been easier.
Now if you were going from classic then yes there would be some intermediate upgrades.
But you can do this in one step to 7.5.5 ( sorry meant to say 7.7.5)

There also is a UBB test script if you wish to run before the upgrade at the UBB wiki
https://ubbwiki.com/latest/system-requirements-test

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
I
I Offline
Thanks Ruben. I think I'll give that test script a try to make sure there aren't issues lurking beneath the covers.

One last question on this thread: How long of an outage window should we plan for?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Depending on the size of your forum, and how fluent you are with moving files around and testing that everything works as you'd expect it to work after your upgrade, it could be as little as 5 minutes.

Generally with this software on standard upgrades from one compatible version to another, I tell my users in a forum post, "the forums may be down for up to 1 hour during a forum software version upgrade and planned maintenance from XX to YY Pacific Time (PT)."

This also works well -
The forums are currently closed while we perform some brief maintenance. We will be back in just a moment.

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
if you are that concerned why not just make backups and create a test forum to run the upgrade on.
You can install the test forum on your site just need to change the database and urls in the config.inc.php
I would keep the board closed so google does not try to crawl the test one.

Blue Man Group
I
I Offline
Thanks for the advice Ruben - it took me a couple of tries to clone the system and not end up with a conjoined twin . . . but I digress . . .

The productive upgrade is now complete and our site is live with 7.7.5. Now to the elephant in the room. I have just one virtual machine (debian) - so my test system shares the PHP library with 5.5.22 deployed.

What sort of weeds might we end up in with an upgrade to PHP 7.4? And did I mention that mySQL is EOL at 5.6.32 . . .

Looking for the voice of experience.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads 7.7.5 supports PHP7, nothing currently supports PHP8 outside of beta. PHP5 support is there for later versions for the time being

This is listed on the main page of this site under requirements:
PHP 5.4 or newer
PHP 7.4 recommended
MySQL 5.5 or newer
MariaDB also compatible

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Not knowing your hosting plan.
Most shared hosting accounts now have a multiphp option in cpanel where you can just select what version you wish provided the host provides it.
Most hosts allow up to php7.4.
As far as mysql goes usually you would need to request a upgrade from the host for a shared hosting account.

I have zero experience with a virtual machine setup.
I have never seen the advantage for myself.
If I wish to have a local test site I usually use wamp or xampp.installed on my pc.
Then I can play with testing multiple versions of php,apache and mysql combinations.

Blue Man Group
I
I Offline
So it would seem that the DB version and PHP version are largely invisible to the UBB threads application. That's good to know.

I don't see any evidence in my hosting provider control panel that I can toggle versions of PHP - merely display what I am running. But I request an upgrade and the engineers will do the work.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads generally just wants a working web server with minimum versions of required system libraries (PHP/MySQL)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
1 member likes this: isaac

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29