Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#267163 08/05/2026 8:03 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Using UBBT 8.0.1 php 8.3.32
I am confused
Our UBBT forum has been around for 25+ years.
Nowadays I can see below example of error messages.
I use standard amount of connections 151 just like this forum and the developers.
If it's not a bug feel free to delete. The last days have generated lots of logs like below.

example 1
Quote
[01-Aug-2026 23:13:59 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Too many connections in /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/libs/mysqli.inc.php:28
Stack trace:
#0 /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/libs/mysqli.inc.php(28): mysqli_connect('localhost', 'xxxxx', Object(SensitiveParameterValue), 'xxxxx')
#1 /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php(101): sql->connect()
#2 /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/ubbthreads.php(45): require_once('/xxxxx/xxxxx/...')
#3 {main}
thrown in /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/libs/mysqli.inc.php on line 28

example 2
Quote
[03-Aug-2026 00:55:31 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: sizeof(): Argument #1 ($value) must be of type Countable|array, false given in /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/scripts/sendmessage.inc.php:109
Stack trace:
#0 /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/ubbthreads.php(286): page_sendmessage_run()
#1 {main}
thrown in /xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/forums/scripts/sendmessage.inc.php on line 109


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #267164 08/05/2026 9:03 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
example 1 is indeed stating there are too many connections to the SQL Server and is a message from your MySQL server.

Example 2 appears to be a PHP8.3 error counting the size of an array when a PM is sent which we'll get added to the list of PHP8 errors


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Morgan #267165 08/06/2026 1:30 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Hi Giz
Example 1, I will have to increase the connections settings then.

Example 2, if I understand it right then with php8.3 the script needs a rewrite to avoid this error if I understand correctly? Should I go back to let say php8.0 I am not sure if 7.4 works on my new almalinux 10 server.


Ps have you and Isaac checked if your error logs show similar logs?

Last edited by Morgan; 08/06/2026 1:36 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #267166 08/06/2026 1:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It should be fine to run, it's just a PHP8 error that needs to be fixed but it's just counting participents, I'd check that you can still send PTs and if so just leave it for the time being.

Basically PHP8 runs in strict mode which shows all errors, PHP7 and prior allow a lot of loose code to run that wouldn't run in strict mode.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Morgan #267167 08/06/2026 2:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
OK Thanks,

With PT I guess you mean PM as in Private message right?

I normally don't look at the forum error log but had to when the attachment folder chmod issue appeared.
since May the error log file is now 8,5MB in size. I grew 1MB over the last week.
What happen if I delete it or rename it will the system create a new error log file when next error happen?


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #267168 08/06/2026 2:02 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yes, sending a Private Message is what's triggering it, but it looks like it could also be the display of messages.

If it's the UBB.threads error logs they'll make themselves if you purge, if it's the system error log you might not be able to delete it but any logs should make themselves when a new error arises.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Morgan #267169 08/06/2026 5:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Giz,

I open a ticket to see what my host says and the answer to "max_connections" was
I realize that some is not support on here but what do you say about the second and third?
any input is appreciated
cheers

Quote
In addition to increasing the connection limit, we recommend:

Reviewing the MySQL process list for long-running or sleeping connections.

Enabling and reviewing the MySQL slow query log to identify inefficient queries.

Checking whether your forum software is leaving database connections open longer than necessary.

Monitoring overall server resources (CPU, RAM, and I/O), as increasing max_connections also increases memory usage.


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #267170 08/06/2026 6:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Sometimes connection errors just happen, especially during server maintenance tasks; it's generally not something to worry about unless it's happening constantly.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 522 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)