Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
L
stranger
stranger
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
I'm installing the trial version of UBBThreads, downloaded today from this site.

Step 1: All listed files pass the permissions test.

Step 2 & 3: Database information is fine and the test table is added and dropped with no problem.

Step 4: Settings are correct. Top-level domain name for the install at this point, however, is not a domain name -- it's an IP/~username. I don't know if that's an issue, but thought I should mention it.

Step 5: "Checking all path/url information. Please make sure you have all files uploaded, or you will get false reporing. NOTE: The first 3 might fail if PHP is unable to open files via a URL. If that is the case you may continue to the next step." And in fact, the first 3 DO fail. And here's where it goes all wrong -- if I click either verify path info OR proceed to next step, I get "The page cannot be displayed." The file install.php IS present, and is in the install directory.

I double-checked the instructions to make sure all permissions were correct, and they are. I must confess, I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
What page is it trying to open, that it can't display? Looks like a path issue either with the url of x.x.x.x/~username or with the full path. Bear in mind that the actual url might be something like x.x.x.x/users/username (it will vary depending upon the server software) - the ~username is just a short cut. As chances are your IP is shared with several sites.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
L
stranger
stranger
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Perhaps I really AM too stupid to live!

I think you're on the right track, and I'm waiting until I have a functioning domain name on this IP before trying the install again. Thanks, Ian.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)