Print Thread
Hop To
#87255 03/18/2004 4:19 AM
J
J
J
J Offline
Hi,
I would like to display an RSS feed (newsworthy items) at the top of my forum.
Can I do this by placing something in the forum header?
This is what the raw RSS feed looks like:
http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/celebrity
Apparently it is really simple to include in webpages, and it would really improve the interest factor in my forum. Can I do this somehow? Has anyone else ever done something like this?
Thanks!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
RSS itself is only a syndication format. It isn't meant for human consumption.

An intermediate program will need to transform the RSS into something more readable before you can insert it into a page...

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
#87257 03/18/2004 10:32 PM
J
J
J
J Offline
Thanks for that,
Yeah, I know that it is only a syndication format. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever successfully used an RSS feed on their forums - I mean surely there must be someone out there who has done this! (And if not, maybe they should)! It would increase the interest of just about any forum I can think of, and is an easy source of fresh content for discussion on the forum.
If UBB.classic can't handle it directly, then what is the recommended strategy to handle this? PHP? But then how would you include the output of UBB?

#87258 03/19/2004 12:45 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I use RSS feeds at http://homepage.undergroundnews.com/ with a php script i pieced together; it's extremely sloppy code though lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
J
J
J Offline
Gizmo - you are just using RSS feeds on a page that doesn't have a forum on it as far as I can see. What I would like to know is how to incorporate an RSS feed into the same page as my forum.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wasn't saying I was using it on a page of a forum; I was saying I had it outputting.

you'll need to find a Javascript (yes javascript, not java) RSS reader for your forums, as using anything else you'd need to use an iframe to load it to the page.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
J
J
J Offline
Gizmo - I don't know if it is possible to use Javascript to parse an RSS feed. I would be very appreciative if you could find a tutorial or site that explains how this is possible.

My understanding is that PHP, CGI, or some other language like ASP was necessary in order to parse the RSS feed. The question is - how do you do this at the top of a UBB forum ?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you're looking for a CGI parser you'll have to recode your bulletin board. PHP won't work since the code is in perl. The only exception is if you had an RSS feed read to another page and used an iframe to load it.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, an iframe calling the feed reader script could be used. In fact, it's likely to be your best option, as I doubt that most feed readers have Javascript includes (like how we do our own content islands).

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I'd just go with a php script to parse the rss doc and an iframe, it'd be the easiest way to go about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 878 guests, and 139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29