Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#89024 07/03/2005 9:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
Greetings.

I am using 6.72
One of my users misspelled her first name (which is part of her login name). She left out an "l" in Elizabeth and kept forgetting how to mispell her name correctly to login.

I read here in a post dating from March 05 that manually editing user data is a bad idea, but it didn't say why.

I edited the user's record (i.e. 00000048.cgi) and "memberslist.cgi"

It works.

Now, having done this, why is it bad?

Not being a smart aleck, just want to know.

Thanks -

David Clark
Cochran, Ga.

#89025 07/04/2005 12:52 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
There is no "prebuilt" way of changing the login name... You should also note that, I believe, any posts are assigned by login name so if you where to update the login name the users posts woudln't be associated with her account.

You should instead update their publicly displayed name to be the proper information, this is good from both a security and maintenance standpoint as it'd be more difficult for someone trying to break into this users account as they'd be trying to login with a user account that wasn't valid and it'd be the easiest route to work with...

You can easily allow the user to update their display name from the control panel (or use a modification from UBBDev which would allow you to update the PDN from the controlpanel).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
#89026 07/04/2005 1:03 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
Hello and thank you for the reply.

This particular user had not posted as of yet, so losing posts is no problem.

The question is, though -- having modifed the actual data as I have done, is that a problem? It seems to work fine, but I'm asking if there is something I don't know about.

Thanks --
David Clark
Cochran, Ga.

#89027 07/04/2005 1:10 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It can have reoccouring issues, no one file contains the users login data, there are numerous files which need updated... Why not just delete the user and recreate the account?


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
#89028 07/04/2005 1:14 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 9
Well, see my other topic about deleting users.

I only found two files that listed the login name after looking through all the files in the members folder.

But -- I trust you.

I can have the lady use a different name I suppose, but this would seem to be something easily done, though obviously it must not be.

Hard to imagine that I would be the first person to have this situation.

David Clark
Cochran, Ga.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)