Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
A Offline
I've been waiting since hearing about the next platform - have way outgrown UBB, and just when I was going to look at a non Infopop product ('cause of all the "issues" with Threads) I heard about the future product here - Spring testing, summer release.. (uhh.. ???)

Well, my UBB boards continue to grow even faster than before, my capacity and performance problems just get bigger - and I would love to have an Infopop upgrade, but ???? (if not, I guess I'd better look elsewhere - should I look elsewhere?)

Former Developer
Former Developer
The new product has been delayed. I have heard no updates lately on the schedule of the product. I would keep an eye out for the next UBB Newsletter. Hopefully there is an update in there.

Charles Capps
Former UBB.classic Maintainer
R
RMM Offline
stranger
stranger
R Offline
Bob,

The other option for you is to contact me at Groupee to discuss interest in moving to the hosted Groupee community. We're offering 2-4 months of free service and importing through the end of Dec 05.

Jeff
jeffs@groupee.com

A
A Offline
I thought the Groupee was for smaller systems?

I have been told by other Infopop folks that my boards are too large for your hosted solutions - does that cover Groupee too?

I was even told that my boards were already a bit too large for Threads - although as I mentioned I never really considered threads because of all the problems with that platform.

The main reason I never considered any hosted type alternative is that I'm in a very good position (serach and popularity wise - at the top) with my sites - I am guessing my banners (and control over my systems) would be a problem with your hosted solution - I would be absolutely amazed if any BB was even close to mine in revenue from banner sales (I have 30+ paying sponsors, and I have been turning away more than 100 (other) paying sponsors each year). This revenue has allowed me to pay for very high bandwidth fees and more over the years - money is not an issue (happily), but control is (to me).

FWIW - I was well into the planning for conversion to another BB platform and then a very serious health issue for me popped up, so I put it all on hold. My BB performance has had EVERYTHING done that your folks have recommended, and my BB is still growing at 5-10% a month - performance is a bigger issue all the time, but I'm going to be in hospital quite a bit over the next 6 months or so (cancer .... again).

As soon as I'm done with these treatments (if) - then I'll move to something else - right away.

Bob

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I certainly hope you're on a dedicated server if you're experiancing the type of load that i'm hearing...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I'm not sure who told you Groupee Community is for small communities, but that's just wrong. Groupee Community is the most scalable of the products and in fact one of the largest forums on the Internet (ArsTechnica) uses Groupee Community.

Also, unless you are currently hosting your forums on a computer you own, in a facility you own, you would lose no control by using one of Groupee's hosted solutions. It's no different than hosting your forums with a web hosting company from that perspective.

A
A Offline
Gizmo - of course - I've been on a dedicated server since 2003 (about a week after my shared server host company discovered my UBB site - Oops!) - a very busy week to convert (they were VERY unhappy with the activity from my forums), and I have upgraded dedicated servers a number of times since then, but there is an absolute limit to what UBB Classic can handle, and ... well, I've even been told my forums are too busy for Threads (by Charles)..

Steven - I did look at the information available on the Groupee site - and I while it leave a ton of questions unanswered, I do see prices that make me think you have to handle larger forums.

Back when I was a working 'dude' - technology, computers and software, was my field (30+ years) - so I am VERY comfortable doing most of the things myself - but I just don't care about some parts now (boring after all these years I guess)..

If you could point me to some detailed information - I'd be happy to look and even to consider it.

I am hosting my forums, and my other sites, on servers that I control (100%), in a large, reliable, very secure, expensive (for me, but I figure I get what I pay for) and well connected data centre.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A man after my own heart, ultimate control of all he uses...

Hey bob, you have the UBB PHPAccelerator enabled? That could decrease some load... Additionally having ZendOptimizer running on your server could bust the load down a smidge more (ZendOptimizer will only speed up PHP pages, which the PHPAccelerator is)...

Shoot me an email sometime or somethin... james[at]virtualnightclub[dot]net

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
A Offline
An update -

I contacted Groupee - wanted to get answers to the obvious questions..and I explained that money is not an issue for my forums - I am probably pretty unique in that I turn away at least $50-75K a year in banner revenue, simply because I don't want / need it (It'll make sense in a minute)- but on the other hand, I can probably easily (!) cover any fees Groupee or anyone would need to give me what I want..

Well.... sad to say, they promised to call, and promised to call, and ... ?? never did

Is this what customers can expect..

Stunning..

As soon as I'm done with chemo (this is my second big time with it) I will be going forward with something, my forums continue to grow. I do have a team of more than 20 moderators helping me, but I have realistically on 1 or 2 years before my cancer ends all this fun..

Groupee - sounded interesting, but since they won't answer my questions via email, and promise to call but never do....

What the heck???

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hi, Bob:

My apologies for the delay. I've located your ticket, and you can expect a call today!

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Bob D -

I'd like to discucss some of the issues you've raised but I'd like to do it via a private message. If this is ok with you, please send a PM to me to let me know how to reach you (or e-mail me directly at []webmaster@dccpm.com)<br[/] />
Thanks,

-Danny.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Napalm, 1 invisible), 867 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29