Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#172791 01/09/2007 2:45 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
What do you people think about this...

I am installing Threads for the first time, converting a lively Classic 6.7.3 board with a 4-year history. I would like to convert the board the first time, and play around with settings until we get it set just right, then trash it all and do a final convert.

This scenario serves two purposes: 1, I can get up to speed on Threads installation and administration, and take my time so I get it right; and 2, the old board continues running untouched.

Once I have got things smoothed out as much as possible, how hard will it be to kill it all and start over? Can I simply delete and recreate the /forums directoy, and drop and recreate the database and database user?

Or might it be even easier... keep everything intact in the /forums directory, but change the database name and rerun the database part of the install and import?

How thin is the ice here? :-(

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Well, if your member account is up to date, you can download/install/import and everything right now. You can play around all you want, with the old board live and well. You can then switch over whenever you felt comfy. That is, if your member account is still alive. Otherwise, you'd have to renew it... wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
jgeoff, thanks for the answer, but renewal is not the issue.

I can (and will) import everything now, but it immediately becomes out-of-date, since the old board is getting 50 posts/day.

So when I am ready for the final conversion, I need to dump all the old imported messages, and re-install so I pick up all the most recent messages.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Okay, then, so you're in the same boat as I was.

First thing I did was install 7.0 (to another directory), then as a test, I installed/imported with my Classic board still alive and well. Key here: I told my members this is what we're going to do, "check it out and provide your feedback". I did almost 2 weeks of this "beta" test. It was made clear that posts on the "new board" would disappear. After all that, I closed down for about (unfortunately) a day to delete the "new" db, then re-import, then that was that. Imported again, and still going strong! smile

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
N
N Offline
You can just drop the tables, run the createtables.php script as part of the install and you're on your way.

Be careful as 7.02 stores some values in the db...you may lose your tweaks.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
So it sounds like I can have my trial Threads version running while the old Classic board continues to run unaffected. And from what Napalm.Net says, I won't even need to re-install the unix /forums part, and that removing the database and recreating it followed by a fresh import should work.

Anyone else care to comment on this plan?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, that sounds like the proper plan. If you have done any style work on your test forum, make sure you export it and save it locally before you nuke the database and recreate it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As a part of the private beta group, and a usr formerly from classic, i've done just that many, many, many times...

Simply purge your database, run createtables.php from the install directory, then re-run the importer; pretty simple when you've done it 90+ times lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
pretty simple when you've done it 90+ times lol
laugh Thanks. But since this is my first time, I'll be buggin' crazy y'all with questions.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
But thats why we're here wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Upgrading supporting apps (mysql, php)
by Baldeagle - 06/09/2024 8:39 AM
Questions re: forum layout and site issues
by domspeak - 06/03/2024 1:49 AM
Test
by Phun - 05/28/2024 7:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Ruben), 293 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29