Features
Documentation
Pricing & Order
Members Area
Support Options
UBBDev.com
UBBWiki.com
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JAISP), 74 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gizmo 15
isaac 9
SteveS 9
Ruben 6
Morgan 5
jorb 4
Latest Photos
Test
Testing to drag photos
Comfortable Cats
Test
BSA photos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Feedback & Suggestions
12/08/18 11:55 AM
you type @user name at the top of or in the middle of a post and their name pops up (like facebook). And they get a special indication someone has tagged them in a post.
2 477 Read More
General Chat
12/08/18 02:09 AM
They moved crownvic.net from their server to a Google server, and switched to https at the same time. They killed a few dozen forums in the process.

Believe it or not, the footer still says "Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved." after three years. I guess they can't figure out the "footer.php" file that is external to UBB.threads.
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/08/18 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by SteveS
Agreed, Ruben - I contracted with Mindraven in good faith. They were sort of representing Enom, as a reseller, so I don't understand the need for the $495 charge. They considered it doing me a favor, because they would ordinarily charge $200 PER DOMAIN to move them. I moved seven domains, so at least that part of it was a no-brainer. It took her all of a minute to move them after I paid the $495. I am now with Bulkregister.com, which is owned by Enom. If they decide to close it, I wonder if I will have to pay again. The sad part is that I moved at least two domains to Mindraven from a different Enoms - owned company several years ago. Identification protection is only $3 per domain, but I guess I didn't really need to spend that. I kind of automatically click on that box.

At least they have a good user interface that seems to work. I registered one new domain, a .net, and that was $16.95 plus $3 for the ID protection.

It is going to take a while to get over the $495, between the fact that I have Christmas presents to buy, and that I am not working. I am planning to take my "downtime" to get something going with a couple of sites. My no-compete (from selling my big site) has just ended. so I am now free to do whatever the Hell I want.
eek

Now I have to purchase an SSL certificate for my server, but first I have to figure out how I'm going to slip all of this past the wife. laugh
"But honey, its just the price of doing business"... If it works... lol

Once I purchase the certificate, I'll have to send some money James' way to do some converting. My old site was down for four months when the new owners converted it without knowing what they were doing. They pretty much killed it - four months is a long time for a 40,000 member forum to be down.
... What did they attempt to convert?
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/08/18 01:49 AM
Agreed, Ruben - I contracted with Mindraven in good faith. They were sort of representing Enom, as a reseller, so I don't understand the need for the $495 charge. They considered it doing me a favor, because they would ordinarily charge $200 PER DOMAIN to move them. I moved seven domains, so at least that part of it was a no-brainer. It took her all of a minute to move them after I paid the $495. I am now with Bulkregister.com, which is owned by Enom. If they decide to close it, I wonder if I will have to pay again. The sad part is that I moved at least two domains to Mindraven from a different Enoms - owned company several years ago. Identification protection is only $3 per domain, but I guess I didn't really need to spend that. I kind of automatically click on that box.

At least they have a good user interface that seems to work. I registered one new domain, a .net, and that was $16.95 plus $3 for the ID protection.

It is going to take a while to get over the $495, between the fact that I have Christmas presents to buy, and that I am not working. I am planning to take my "downtime" to get something going with a couple of sites. My no-compete (from selling my big site) has just ended. so I am now free to do whatever the Hell I want.

Now I have to purchase an SSL certificate for my server, but first I have to figure out how I'm going to slip all of this past the wife. laugh

Once I purchase the certificate, I'll have to send some money James' way to do some converting. My old site was down for four months when the new owners converted it without knowing what they were doing. They pretty much killed it - four months is a long time for a 40,000 member forum to be down.
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/07/18 09:44 PM
There isn't really a need for id protect anymore; the GDPR affected whois data, so registry inquiries are starting to end up looking like this or this.
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/07/18 09:16 PM
Jesus, Steve!
I don't know how many domains were involved but protected ID cost more per domain.
That is a lot of dollars.

But feel free to vent 20 more Times.

I WOULD HAVE BEEN LIVID ABOUT THE COST .

After paying good money up front with what you thought was a viable host..

I never paid much attention to renewing domains other than click yes and update the credit card.
But in the future I will look a lot closer.
21 690 Read More
General Assistance (How Do I?)
12/05/18 04:15 AM
That is good to know.
I thought I was losing my gourd.

Thanks for the help.
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by jorb
OK,

I thought on past versions the delete button said something like "remove me from topic"

I could be thinking of different forum software though.

Thanks,

No, you are absolutely correct. thumbsup
It previously did say that. But that message was confusing to users who were familiar with every other forum software currently out there. So the wording on the button was updated. The feature continues to function as it did before.
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 04:04 AM
Any participation you had in the Private Topic before you removed yourself from it, will remain intact with that Private Topic. The only difference is that you've removed yourself from further participation. This is why the "[User] has removed themself from this conversation." is important. It tells all remaining participants that you stopped being involved with the Private Topic at that point.
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 04:04 AM
OK,

I thought on past versions the delete button said something like "remove me from topic"

I could be thinking of different forum software though.

Thanks,
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 03:52 AM
If "participant A" removes themselves from the Private Topic with "participant B" and "participant C," then only B and C can see it. This is because now its only attached to just the B and C accounts.

"Delete" means that you are deleting your participation in that Private Topic.
It does not mean that you are actually deleting the Private Topic from the forum software.

If all participants (A, B, and C) deleted themselves from the Private Topic, the forum software deletes the Private Topic because its no longer attached to any more participant accounts.

The Private Topic listing is a list of all the Private Topics you are currently listed as participating in.
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 03:36 AM
So, there is no way to drop out of a Private Message conversation and still see it on the Private Message's list,
and still read it.

If you delete the Private Message the software auto generates a post in the PM thread that says ("User" has removed themself from this conversation) Correct ?

If all participants delete, the thread disappears. Correct
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 03:15 AM
I believe what you are looking for is the "Delete" button.

This will permanently remove you from the conversation and you will no longer be able to access it. Delete this conversation from your Private Messages?
7 70 Read More
12/05/18 03:11 AM
In the Private Message section, I seem to not see the button that does the below.

("User" has removed themself from this conversation)

I thought there was a button, to click on, that removes you from the Private Message conversation.
Am I missing something.
7 70 Read More
General Chat
12/05/18 02:43 AM
I'm glad that you got it all situated; wish that it would have been a better resolution though.

eNom is just a reseller, their chief competition back in the day was Tucows, but one of the two bought out the other at one point. Their bread and butter is pretty much letting companies offer their own registry services with them as the back end (even offering an API to keep everything on ones own servers).
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/05/18 02:26 AM
The deed is done. By the time I finished today, I had spent close to $600 out of pocket, between the move itself, the five renewals I needed to do for December, and ID protection. This is for essentially inactive domains that I'm not making a dime off of.

I did get them to agree to move the domains to James, but in the eleventh hour, when I was about to lose some of them, I elected to leave them with their reseller. I was a broken man. Enom owns so many companies, you can't keep them straight.

I still have a paypal dispute pending with Mindraven, but it is just a small pittance compared to the rest. The parent company of Mindraven seems to have gone away, too.

I know that others were affected by this, but I don't know how many domains are involved. I wish there was some way that people could protect themselves against this sort of hostage situation, but I don't know how I could have handled it differently.

Thanks for letting me vent.
21 690 Read More
General Chat
12/01/18 07:42 PM
That sucks!
I can't believe that they want to charge $495 to move the domain to another registrar..When the original one is extinct.

Somebody needs to help this person..
21 690 Read More
12/01/18 07:36 PM
As gizmo stated it is a permission. in the site section.
Can see extra user info

Usually it is hardcoded for admins. But can be turned on or off for other groups.
Since your prior posts indicated that some permissions got hosed by using a default template, Then possibly you need to review the site permissions per group again.
3 152 Read More
General Chat
12/01/18 12:05 AM
That's unfortunate that they won't allow you to just move to another reseller... Any way to ask to escalate the issue to someone higher up?

I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to just push the domains from one reseller account (MindRaven) to my reseller account (vncweb), since they're both from the same registry retailer...
21 690 Read More
General Chat
11/30/18 11:46 PM
I just got the word - There is a flat-rate charge of $495 to rescue my domains from Mindraven. Enom is holding me hostage. This is absolutely ridiculous. They don't respond to me, don't respond to Enom, and don't reply to Paypal. And I am being penalized for it.
21 690 Read More
11/30/18 02:16 AM
Thanks.
3 152 Read More
11/30/18 02:07 AM
Unless the user group has the site permission "Can see extra user info" they cannot, in fact, see any IP addresses. There is no way to disable the display, short of hacking out code; but that shouldn't really be an issue if you only set this permission for your admin or gm group.
3 152 Read More
11/30/18 02:05 AM
Is there a way to disable the display of IP addresses in Who's Online? If you click on Who's Online Now?, you get a display of users. Under the display name, the member's IP address appears. I've been poking around in the Control Panel, but I don't see a place to disable the display of IP addresses. (We want the rest to appear.)
3 152 Read More
General Chat
11/30/18 12:30 AM
UPDATE:

Enom is currently trying to figure out how to disperse the Mindraven domains. I suggested where mine should go, but they aren't sure if they can do that. Meanwhile, I came to realize that a new domain that I registered with Mindraven in October was never actually registered, so I filed a Paypal dispute on that one. Maybe that will wake them up.

My first two expire on the 5th, so I hope something is resolved by then.
21 690 Read More
11/26/18 06:55 PM
Thanks. It looks like a standard template got applied to that forum at some point. I had to correct quite a few permissions in that forum. It's fixed now. Thanks for the pointers.
3 206 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Shout Box
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Topics
Private Message, Opt out of conversation
by jorb. 12/04/18 10:11 PM
Disable IP display in Who's Online?
by Baldeagle. 11/29/18 09:05 PM
Permissions problem
by Baldeagle. 11/25/18 09:44 PM