Originally Posted by bakerzdosen
So, I started poking around. It turns out (JAISP is laughing right now - I bow to his knowledge and experience) that the disk I/O was just flat out too slow.
Originally Posted by JAISP
I think I kind of predicted this in a kind of way back when you first were looking for a host. I do not wish to say anything like I told you but it really sucks when you have these problems.[snip]

Thanks for your remembrance of my comments in your other thread as well.
Well, as I said, you were right. And actually, it was your "premonitory comments" that partially drove us to dedicated over a VPS. I've actually seen a couple of times today with about 200 users/spiders total on the system where things actually "got slow" on our dedicated box. (Slow being relative as it was barely noticeable from a web page perspective, but the disks were certainly thrashing about from all the selects and inserts and the page render numbers were about double "normal".)

Anyway, I guess that was the point of my posting back here:

JAISP was right - VPS's aren't for everyone. However, that's not to say that a VPS can't be done right - it can. But, a VPS at a big name shop is hard for them to guarantee a certain level of service, especially disk i/o.

And as to recompiling the kernel on the fly: That's always impressive, but if you're going to be that geeked out, man, you've gotta go with vi over pico. tongue

Anyway, as an OT side note, I've recommended you (JAISP) to a couple of different people lately. The radio thing sounds cool. Hopefully it works out well.

I have to sit here and think about how much $75k really is sometimes. I spec $70-$500k systems pretty much 2-3 times a week for my day job. It always amazes me that I can spec a system that costs more than my house without batting an eye any more. Corporate $ != individual $.