I got the message too and came here to see what was going on. I find it ethically iffy for Social Strata to be naming their new product UBB if they sold the UBB name to Rick. To have two products in the "forum software" world both called UBB sounds quite infringing to me. It would be like Hostess selling the rights to Twinkie to someone else, then a few years later starting up a new Twinkie-style product and calling it Twinkie Cake. It would infringe on the rights they sold, and create confusion in the marketplace.

I wonder if Social Strata figures that nobody has the money to sue them for doing this.

Also, I got two promo emails from them - one at my BellaOnline account and one at my WineIntro account. How did they have access to knowing about both of those accounts? Wouldn't rights to my account information have gone with the sale of UBB to Rick? Did they actually retain rights to keep using the data? If they just scanned this forum here, I only post with my BellaOnline username.

I find this incredibly sleazy. Unless, of course, the new UBB owners really did sell rights to a hosted version of UBB, in which case it's going to be quite confusing if the hosted version and the non-hosted version are showing up on two completely different websites.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts