Here is my remaining issue. I now have the whole posts table as UTF8 and also have explicitly set the subject, post, and default_post fields to be UTF8. So the data is all stable. New posts go in and edit fine.
My lingering problem is with old unicode-holding posts.
1) the unicode characters show up as black question marks. I do have a charset=utf-8" line in there. In my test PHP, the old post shows up quite fine. So there's something different about my test SELECT and the UBB SELECT. It appears it's because my test PHP has the line
$result1 = mysql_set_charset('utf8', $con);
How do I add that line into the UBB code?
2) When I try to edit one of these posts, the edit box comes up empty. So I can't edit the post to even manually remove those characters. Thoughts on why the edit box is empty?
If I can get these two issues resolved with historic posts I'll be all set. You can see this issue here -
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/425917/1