My main BellaOnline forums are now fully on the new server. You can see it here -

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

In general they zip fairly quickly for a forum of 800,000 posts. The main page draws in 1.125 seconds.

I have a strange problem with making posts. It seems the first time a person posts in a given session it takes up to 15 full seconds while it sits on the posting screen. Then the follow-up screen (the one that shows the post) is nice and quick - a second or so.

If the person posts again - even on the same thread, which one would think would take just as long - it then becomes quick. A second or two. And even moving to other long threads is fine at that point. I can post in there quickly.

It seems to be something about their first post in a session. And unfortunately if that is really slow it discourages them from trying again so they don't realize it's a start-up anomaly.

Any thoughts about what might be different about a first post in a session? Are things being initialized? It's not a person with zero posts - even old timers who then go to make a first post seem to have this happen.

I'm open to all ideas. I thought it might be about posting to longer threads vs shorter ones but as I mentioned going back to that longer thread and posting again then goes nice and quick. So the forum isn't having problems adding posts in general, even to long threads.

I do need to upgrade the forum software; I'll do that tomorrow night. I have a lot of customizations with this so I want to do that when I'm more awake.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts