We've been playing with permutations to try to recreate your issue, but have fell short in being able to pinpoint exactly what is happening.

If you are going to flip hosts, make sure that you use the UBB.threads System Requirements Test to ensure that your environment has all of the capabilities needed to run UBB.threads.

I have a listing of recommended hosts that I have worked with here (note that my affiliate code with these providers is sent with each offsite link). isaac uses BlueHost Pro Shared Hosting, and I use a StableHost 4 slice VPS.

The documentation isn't out of date, a security setting on some servers (I believe it is a setting in SuPHP) will throw an error when a script is executed in a folder chmodded 777 or the script's chmod is set to 666; simply make sure the folder holding threads is chmodded 755 (and the admin folder) and that the ubbthreads.php and file is 644.

"Technically" the only files that need to be 666 are in the /cache_builders/custom, /includes, /languages, /styles/, and /templates/default/ folders, as these are the only ones with editors in the control panel (note that the /templates/compile, /templates/default, /cache, /includes, /session, /styles, /gallery, /uploads folders all need to be 777).

ModSecurity is a PHP Security module that has some rather strict default rules that can throw 403 errors as well.

What are the permissions on your /images/captcha folder and its contents? Is this a CPanel server? (time to grasp at straws)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!