One thing missing is the next topic, previous topic links. Clicking on the bread crumbs kind of gives you the same thing and is what I pointed out to the staff, but is somewhat of a change.
That is at the foot of the thread.
Ian,
Yes, there is a link at the foot of the thread, but we are not talking about the foot of the thread, we are talking about at the top. This is a change from version 6 and we are discussing the ramifications of those changes. As others have said, even though you can get the same kind of functionality by clicking on the bread crumb link for index, you loose the previous & next topic functionality
from the top of the thread. Why would you do this you might ask? Sometimes after reading a reply I will go look at the post it was replied from which means scrolling up. Sometimes this brings me back up to the top or almost to the top. Scrolling up and hitting index, next, second page, etc. is a habit I have come to do.
When looking at this from a functionality standpoint and a performance decrease of the system I think leaving this in wins hands down. Basically the code is already there, it just needs to be copied and pasted in the top and there wouldn't be any more calls or queries to the database so you virtually would take a zero hit on performance.
Fred