Copyright Notice: We have purchased W3T (the grandmother of UBBThreads) and from that license agreement we could remove it. Of course, I did not read the agreement after that. I dont think we mind sharing that copyright information on the website. I will inform the concerned person.
The response I got from the SUPPORT suggested that we turnoff and see if that helps. My question is why would TOO MANY BANNERS be effecting the page-processing. It might show the slower response, but not breaking of the page itself. Also, we dont have too much traffic either, as we are a small community based web-site.
After posting the above, I looked at the FORUMS in detail to see what type of issues people had with banners and it seems many people faced problems with UBBThreads and banners. I have no clue if they all fixed the problem some how or just decided not to run the banners.
Here is how we have implemented banners on our system. We do use couple of different softwares on the backend for Banner Ad management. We have on Mod-Perl based system that produced different banners based on the regions. These banners are included in the web-pages thru SSI. I have the following code in the included header of UBBThreads software:
virtual("/includes/topad.shtml");
The "topad.shtml" has a mod-perl directive that inserts the real AD CODES. It seems like there is a draw-back of doing this way, as the server is making an additional HTTP request back to itself for inserting the topad.shtml, not a good thing if this were to be really true. I just came to this conclusion based on what I read in few mins and not yet verified if this is true or not. I am planning to convert this to PHP code so that I can do:
include("/includes/topad.php")
and make the path to includes a part of PHP recognizable directories. That I think might be better way than serving thru the topad.shtml.
Please share your thoughts and comments. Thank you.
-Srinivas<br>Global Hindu Electronic Networks:
http://www.hindunet.org/